Hey all,

I got a storm within a couple of days of release and loved the concept of it. I was getting used to typing on it (wasn't as quick as curve, but I was getting pretty good). My big issue was crashing and voice quality sucked. Verizon acknowledged that there was probably something wrong with my particular phone RE: the voice quality (everyone I spoke to no matter if I was on the handset, speaker phone, blue tooth, or wired headset claimed I sounded like I had my finger over the microphone). Only issue is I got into a brawl with the Verizon manager over how I was going to get my replacement so I just handed it to him and reactivated my curve. Fast forward to now and my curve has seen better days, trackball is pretty much shot. I am not due for an upgrade and I don't have insurance any longer on the curve (they dropped it after I switched from storm back to curve - friggen Verizon). So I am in a spot where I have to spend full retail again. Not really hot about spending $400 and change on a curve. So, wanted everyones opinion on how much the storm has really improved since release. If I am spending $400 and change I would rather just spend it on the newest device available.

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to get the whole story out.

Again, my returning the Storm should not be looked at a Storm bash since as I said, I actually really liked it and was getting used to the typing...

Any opinions?

-steve
    02-07-09 03:07 PM
    Well, I am a late adopter and after having it a month i would say it is a pretty good piece. I have not had many issues at all and mine is un-changed and stock firmware.

I read all of the horror stories "after" I got mine and started to get worried, but mine really is about perfect (so far).
    02-07-09 03:12 PM
    you sound like the kind of person that is looking for the quick quality...no trouble shooting involved and a sound device.

The Storm has gotten better with time. I have never had a voice quality issue but with the leaked OS's the phone has gotten faster and easier to use. Apps have been coming out left and right at a decent pace but I wouldnt exactly give the Storm the sound seal of approval just yet (she's getting there though)

Just test one out before you walk out of the store to make sure the device is everything you want.
    I love the phone
    02-07-09 03:16 PM
    you sound like the kind of person that is looking for the quick quality...no trouble shooting involved and a sound device.

The Storm has gotten better with time. I have never had a voice quality issue but with the leaked OS's the phone has gotten faster and easier to use. Apps have been coming out left and right at a decent pace but I wouldnt exactly give the Storm the sound seal of approval just yet (she's getting there though)

Just test one out before you walk out of the store to make sure the device is everything you want.
    I love the phone
    I actually have no issue with troubleshooting, etc. I am actually the type of person that enjoys trying new beta os's, etc. My issue was that nobody could hear me when I spoke to them, LOL.... I do pump out 400-500 emails,texts, and bb messages a day as part of my day to day usage and even with that, I got pretty good with the touch screen. I have been using Blackberry's going way back to before they even had phones incorporated into them. But my days of carrying 3 devices around are over. LOL... Can't live without blackberry, just wanted some opinions on improvements before I jumped back in to the stormy waters. Thx again.
    02-07-09 03:22 PM
    For me going from the Curve to the Storm was a little hard - mostly from getting used to typing and missing alot of shortcuts from the physical keyboard.
    Now there are more programs available for the storm and I have gotten to where I can do things just as quick as I did with my old Curve.

Got to love that huge screen and don't think I would want to go back to the Curve now. Although the 8930 will be out soon. Usually I go after the new device, and I don't think I will this time. -- Loving the Storm

** I still have my original one I was lucky enough to get on 11/21/08 - No Hardware problems **
    Last edited by grayzweb; 02-07-09 at 07:51 PM.
    02-07-09 03:29 PM
    I do pump out 400-500 emails,texts, and bb messages a day as part of my day to day usage and even with that, I got pretty good with the touch screen.
    Are you sure this is the device for you if you're typing that much? I don't think that's healthy even on a laptop!
    02-07-09 03:31 PM
    I'd try the Palm Pre.....
    02-07-09 03:48 PM
    The Storm has been good to me and the wife since it was released. It sounds like you just had a bad phone or something was covering the mic. You already know its limitations and how great it is. I would try it again myself.
    02-07-09 04:02 PM
    I just got my storm a week ago, and on the box it was manufactured on 1/12/09. I'm running .75 and my storm is running like a champ, no dust issues, crashes, etc. *knock on wood*
    02-07-09 04:25 PM
    Mine seems to work fine as well. I admit it is a bit slow sometimes, but Im not a business or hardcore blackberry user, so I have time to be patient.
    02-07-09 04:32 PM
    Mine id working really well no issues and no voice quality issues ... I have this phone since november 21 ...

I love my Storm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 04:42 PM
    Seems to me like you might want to skip a Storm as your next cell phone. I have had mine since day one and love it. Many, many people seem to have all sorts of problems and want to send it back for another Storm. Then whine in the forums asking "Do you think I will get a refurb?"
    The Storm is headed in the right direction but I feel it's not there as of today. Seeing that you gave up on the Storm before I suggest you wait a few more months or wait for the Niagara.
    my 2 cents.
    02-07-09 04:51 PM
    the reason why it probably sounded like you were covering the mic is because you probably were, the mic is tiny little hole right at the bottom of the phone, when your holding the phone on a call your hand probably covers themic, it is really easy to do this. it has happened to me numerous times where people could not really here me and then i look down and sure enough my finger was covering the mic
    02-07-09 06:38 PM
    the reason why it probably sounded like you were covering the mic is because you probably were, the mic is tiny little hole right at the bottom of the phone, when your holding the phone on a call your hand probably covers themic, it is really easy to do this. it has happened to me numerous times where people could not really here me and then i look down and sure enough my finger was covering the mic
    okay but he sound it happend while using bluetooth headsets, corded headsets and speakerphone
    02-07-09 06:43 PM
    Are you sure this is the device for you if you're typing that much? I don't think that's healthy even on a laptop!
    LMFAO!!!! Well the curve handles the emails well. My marriage didn't handle them too well. LOL

Running two business's I have found communicating with clients and employees to be more efficient via email. If it weren't for those emails then at least half of them would require phone calls. Now that would be unhealthy... LOL
    02-07-09 10:08 PM
    I thought that as well, but when I used the bluetooth and the wired headset it didn't improve the sound quality.
    02-07-09 10:10 PM
    I'd try the Palm Pre.....
    The thought of a palm just made me puke in my mouth. I am a long committed blackberry user and would never switch to a Palm.. Too many reasons to list but #1....EMAIL...
    02-07-09 11:06 PM
    I just got my storm a week ago, and on the box it was manufactured on 1/12/09. I'm running .75 and my storm is running like a champ, no dust issues, crashes, etc. *knock on wood*
    Ditto. My Storm was manufactured in mid-January, is running .75, and works great. The hardware is a lot more sound than some of the phones I read about on these forums. If you want to try the Storm again, I suggest either trying your luck on a recently built device, or waiting for the official OS update and then trying again with a new device.
    02-07-09 11:52 PM
    The thought of a palm just made me puke in my mouth. I am a long committed blackberry user and would never switch to a Palm.. Too many reasons to list but #1....EMAIL...
    Huh? Whats up with the email on the Palm Pre? I thought they had done it well this time? Or am I mistaken?

Sorry for the puke btw... I'll send you some mouthwash ;-) And a beer
    02-08-09 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD