I had to replace the battery on my old phone (LG VX9900 enV) because I ended up frying it after repeated overnight charging sessions. It's a habit I had to train myself to break. On Friday night and Saturday night I remembered to keep it uncharged overnight, but I accidentally left it plugged in last night. Did I cause any damage to my battery by doing this?
    11-24-08 09:21 AM
    Hmmm i always do an over night charge on all of my phones. Not everyday but when its dead definetly over night. I dont see you causing any issues if you only do it when its needed.
    11-24-08 09:25 AM
    I have always left my voyager overnight, battery is still perfect too. I do the same with my storm. I think the battery stops charging once it is full

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 09:27 AM
    I always left my pearl charging overnight and never had any issues.
    11-24-08 09:28 AM
    I have always left my voyager overnight, battery is still perfect too. I do the same with my storm. I think the battery stops charging once it is ful

Yea, I woke up this morning after leaving it on the charger all night and the "Lighting Bold" was gone. lol, I think it does stop charging once its full!
    11-24-08 09:29 AM
    Definitely ok, you can't overcharge these batteries.
    11-24-08 09:34 AM
    I'm a pretty heavy phone user and I've noticed that everyday since Friday my Storm's been close to dead almost every night and I've always charged it over night and I did the same with pretty much all my phones and I've never had to replace my battery. You should be OK charging it over night
    11-24-08 09:35 AM
    I have overnight charged every cell phone I have ever owned since the early 1990's. This is not an issue. The bolt goes away when the phone is fully charged.
    11-24-08 09:41 AM
    theres something wrong with your EnV not your battery, a phone is made to charge.. duuhhhh
    11-24-08 10:02 AM
    sure its ok, thats why you can even turn your storm into an alarm clock with its docking station
    11-24-08 10:07 AM
    theres something wrong with your EnV not your battery, a phone is made to charge.. duuhhhh
    No "duuhhhh" is necessary. A Verizon technician told me that leaving the phone charging overnight can "kill" that cell phone's battery. It is not a stretch for me to believe a Verizon representative and then check on the Storm as well.

To everyone else, thank you for your help! I'm glad I don't have anything to worry about.
    11-24-08 10:07 AM
    No "duuhhhh" is necessary. A Verizon technician told me that leaving the phone charging overnight can "kill" that cell phone's battery. It is not a stretch for me to believe a Verizon representative and then check on the Storm as well.

To everyone else, thank you for your help! I'm glad I don't have anything to worry about.
    to the contrary of this, being as the information i have seen posted is about the 9500 and not the 9530 it actually helps to improve the battery if you leave it to charge for an extended peiod of time 12 hours + as the batterys are not pre conditioned!

dont know if the 9530 has a supposed short battery life but from all reports here in the uk once people have overcharged their phone it has helped to dramatically improve its longevity!
    11-24-08 10:15 AM
    Never had a problem. Worst case, in a year or two...buy another. But by then you'll be on to the Storm II.
    11-24-08 10:18 AM
    Last night was the first night was the first night to do a charge over night, I woke to the screen being messed up.
    A battery pull fixed it, ill see what happens tonight when I charge it.

11-24-08 10:25 AM
    These are lithium batteries, you won't kill the cells like in the old batteries. Plus it automatically stops charging once its full
    11-24-08 11:00 AM
    Overnite charging with the storm + charging pod + bedside mode/alarm set = nice way to start the day....
    FYI-The battery in reality only charges to 90% then goes to a trickle charge...
    11-24-08 11:07 AM
    I would think that if BlackBerry would make the charging pod to turn it into looking like an alarm clock, then it should be safe to leave it charging for the night.
    11-24-08 11:10 AM
    Overnite charging with the storm + charging pod + bedside mode/alarm set = nice way to start the day....
    FYI-The battery in reality only charges to 90% then goes to a trickle charge...
    amen brotha. Love the bedside mode
    11-24-08 11:11 AM
    Lithium cells tend to explode when overcharged, so the chargers/charging circuitry is designed properly in general. With older NiCd/NiMH cells it was easy to design cheap/poor chargers that were not kind to battery life.

Top it up whenever you need to/it's convenient is what I say...

This is some good advice, I think
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    11-24-08 11:19 AM
    I've been charging my cell batteries overnight without issue. I think that rule used to apply to older devices.

11-24-08 11:25 AM
    The BB will stop charging when it gets full even if it's connected, but rechargeable batteries can only last a set number of charging cycles...

so if you charge it every night when you clearly have enough battery life, just so you can wake up to a fully charged phone, you can bet that your battery will die prematurely compared to only charging it when it is close to completely drained.
    12-08-08 07:41 PM
    The Verizon 12V charger associated with the Storm comes with the tag:
    Typical Charging Time
    2:00-3:00 Std Batt
    3:00-4:00 Ext Batt
    Remove from Charger when Complete (emphasis mine)

Since it's a "fits most" charger, can we assume they're only talking about other models, with a dumb charging circuit? One wonders how they state a charge time, since the device is not model-specific!

With brings up the question: are all USB chargers compatible with the Storm, assuming a micro port size? (That is, does the Storm provide all the charge regulation, so it just needs a proper DC supply?)
    12-08-08 07:52 PM
    as a persona who knows the ins and outs of batteries scientifically speaking, you are good to go with charging overnight. ALSO depending on materials and generation of the Li-ion battery rim decided to use they can usually cycle about 1300-1600 times before they are useless. so if you charge your phone EVERY NIGHT for 3 years you still would be close to starting to feel the effects of your battery dying. id assume in 3 years you would have something newer than the storm2 and wont care for this battery or phone anyways.

also if u wanna know more about li-ion wikipedia has a decent explanation Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaof the situation
    Last edited by ddarvish; 12-08-08 at 08:15 PM.
    12-08-08 08:12 PM
    Overcharging li-on batteries decreases the overall life cycle of said battery. Very bad idea to keep them charging for more than 3-4 hours, that is unless you don't mind paying Verizon 49.99 plus tax for a new battery every 6 months.

Battery expansion (bulging) occurs from overcharging. So yes, it is possible to overcharge your battery. Do not charge your 9530 overnight, under any circumstances.
    12-08-08 08:36 PM
    Overcharging li-on batteries decreases the overall life cycle of said battery. Very bad idea to keep them charging for more than 3-4 hours, that is unless you don't mind paying Verizon 49.99 plus tax for a new battery every 6 months.

Battery expansion (bulging) occurs from overcharging. So yes, it is possible to overcharge your battery. Do not charge your 9530 overnight, under any circumstances.
    Modern li-ion batteries do not suffer from overcharging. Built-in circuitry prevents that.

I've been charging my li-ion batteries overnight for the past few years. My batteries are fine; I usually replace my phone before I need new batteries.
    12-08-08 08:47 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD