Yeah, I noticed it when installing my new IS today...

The shocking thing is, I'm NOT going to return it! You know why? Because it's a phone. It doesn't affect the operations, and it isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it.

I'm still on my original phone, and will stay with my original phone
    01-08-09 11:30 AM
    it HAS to be that leaked OS that manifested that lint..it's pure evil..
    01-08-09 11:41 AM
    .85 is the dark side, lol
    01-08-09 11:44 AM
    anyone have pics of dust/lint under their screen..why has this not happened to mine, i keep it in my pocket all the time and still just have the VZ screen protector that came on the phone installed with a silicone sleeve
    01-08-09 11:50 AM
    anyone have pics of dust/lint under their screen..why has this not happened to mine, i keep it in my pocket all the time and still just have the VZ screen protector that came on the phone installed with a silicone sleeve
    You don't want to see a picture. If you do, you'll awaken in a cold sweat in the dead of night to break out the microscope. If you find a micron sized spec of lint, you won't be able to sleep again until you can contact VZW and demand a new phone.
    It's not worth it, grab a beer and relax...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 11:56 AM
    You don't want to see a picture. If you do, you'll awaken in a cold sweat in the dead of night to break out the microscope. If you find a micron sized spec of lint, you won't be able to sleep again until you can contact VZW and demand a new phone.

Well ive seen dust under the screens of my old phones, RAZR, Treo...etc but havent on here just wondering what the big fuss is about and if it really is microscopic dust like you say lol. People are fickle sometimes. Im keeping mine, even if it gets dust eventually..its a work phone and not some toy im showing off to everyone i meet. If I were in highschool I might care about a spec of dust or two
    01-08-09 12:02 PM
    It isn't dust, really...it's more like lint IMO. Just a small grouping on the left side of my screen (bottom in landscape). Noting major and I don't see it unless I'm really looking for it
    01-08-09 12:06 PM
    There's a thread around here with pictures, it IS a real issue, but I have been lucky and avoided the problem. You should have seen the dust in my Samsung 890 at the end of it's life, BUT it took a while, so I lived with it.
    01-08-09 12:31 PM
    There's a thread around here with pictures, it IS a real issue, but I have been lucky and avoided the problem. You should have seen the dust in my Samsung 890 at the end of it's life, BUT it took a while, so I lived with it.
    Here is a post with pics.

01-08-09 01:54 PM

Best advice I've read on here in awhile!!
    01-08-09 02:06 PM
    My lint isn't like those photos...like I said, very minor issue to me
    01-08-09 02:12 PM
    My lint isn't like those photos...like I said, very minor issue to me
    Understandable, but if any lint/dust can get in, there's a seal that's not doing it job. Expect more.
    01-08-09 02:19 PM
    lint has always been a problem, I still cant figure out why they dont make any changes.
    01-08-09 02:21 PM
    Here is a post with pics.

is that a razor blade and a rolled up $20 off to the side?
    01-08-09 02:21 PM
    is that a razor blade and a rolled up $20 off to the side?
    lol... question for the OP of the link I included, not me.
    01-08-09 02:26 PM
    Yeah, I noticed it when installing my new IS today...

The shocking thing is, I'm NOT going to return it! You know why? Because it's a phone. It doesn't affect the operations, and it isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it.

I'm still on my original phone, and will stay with my original phone
    You are a brave one. Glad to see not all of us are anal!
    01-08-09 02:36 PM
    The OP's phone is digusting, look how much dust is just in the earpiece. I wonder if he/she is a carpenter?
    01-08-09 04:58 PM
    wow that dust is ridiculous! I didn't expect it to be that bad.
    01-08-09 06:00 PM
    MICROSCOPIC dust I can live with. Pieces of lint/fibers that show as black specks or squiggles on white backgrounds is flat out distracting. If you guys want to reward RIM for their ****ty quality control, more power to you. I'm locked into to VZW for two years, and I just don't see some Storms lasting that long. Sooner or later that dust is going to get hot enough and actually bake onto the screen and do some actual damage to the display.
    01-08-09 10:36 PM
    MICROSCOPIC dust I can live with. Pieces of lint/fibers that show as black specks or squiggles on white backgrounds is flat out distracting. If you guys want to reward RIM for their ****ty quality control, more power to you. I'm locked into to VZW for two years, and I just don't see some Storms lasting that long. Sooner or later that dust is going to get hot enough and actually bake onto the screen and do some actual damage to the display.
    The "dust" I have isn't noticeable on any of my screens, white BG or otherwise.
    01-09-09 03:29 AM
    LOL you guys. That is my phone in those pics. I realize it looks straight filthy but straight up that's what happens when you take a close up of something with a digicam w/ flash. With the naked eye it of coarse does not look as bad.

Anyways to the OP, what you're describing is exactly the 1st thing I noticed getting under the screen. Micro-lint on the bottom and top in landscape mode. Now I have various specs caked inside. Just a word of warning to watch out!

Also, there isn't any cocaine or cocaine accessories in the pic. :P
    01-09-09 11:45 AM
    Easiest way to check for dust is to use a bright LED flashlight at and angle to the screen while the screen is off. Allows to really see all the imperfections inside the screen. My current storm actually came with a tiny spec in the screen from the factory. So far though after week and a half no new dust has gotten inside. Really hope the screen seal on this one holds. My previous one was so bad that on the edges of the inside of the screen condensation fog up would form if temperature fluctuated suddenly. Bad seal seems lik not only a source of dust, but also moisture, which might kill the phone later.

01-09-09 12:59 PM
    Easiest way to check for dust is to use a bright LED flashlight at and angle to the screen while the screen is off. Allows to really see all the imperfections inside the screen. My current storm actually came with a tiny spec in the screen from the factory.So far though after week and a half no new dust has gotten inside. Really hope the screen seal on this one holds. My previous one was so bad that on the edges of the inside of the screen condensation fog up would form if temperature fluctuated suddenly. Bad seal seems lik not only a source of dust, but also moisture, which might kill the phone later.

You know, I've wondered about that. My last phone had a very solid seal around it, or so I thought, and it got dust. I couldn't figure it out. I tried putting the edges of the screen up to my mouth and giving the area around the seal some hot breath to see if I could fog it up like I could my first one. No dice. I couldn't understand how dust could get in, but moisture being forced into the device couldn't. I can see a small area that looks as if the seal is separating, but I can't even to get the display to fog up in that area. If it came this way from the factory, that would make a ton more sense.
    01-09-09 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD