Hey Gang!

Ok, bear with me here. This is gonna be a long one, I'm sure, but know that I appreciate everyones' advice and feedback in advance.

I just bought my very first BB yesterday (Storm with Verizon). I'm not a cell phone user really so am making a huge jump here from a pre-paid Virgin Mobile phone that I only ever used to text all the way to a shiny, fancy Storm. Huge jump, I know.

Why the huge jump you all wonder? Not because I'm one of those "gotta have a fancy piece of technology" type of people, but simply because I'm a small business owner and frequently work up to 20 hours a day...and am just REALLY sick of being stuck in an office all day, every day. I wanted a device that would allow me to work outside of the office; most importantly receiving/sending e-mails, receiving/sending documents, and keeping in touch with management and staff via Yahoo! IM.

Now, maybe I have really high expectations - I honestly don't know - but, given what I've read about the Storm and BB's in general, I'd like to think that my expectations aren't unreasonable.

And yes, oh yes, I've done many, many, many hours of research before deciding on a BB Storm, or just a BB in general. I've silently stalked the forums here at Crackberry, I've read reviews on Amazon and about 20 other websites, I've drilled BB users for their experiences, and I've made about 6 different visits to my local Verizon store in the last two weeks to play around on the different phones and speak to the agents. I didn't go into this blindly, honest!

Before I go any further, please let me stress that I want to love this phone. I really, really, really want to LOVE this phone! I think it's gorgeous, it's visually impressive, it feels good, I know it would make my life just a bit simpler if I could just understand it and get it to work right...and the last thing I want to do is have to return it to Verizon, pay a fee, and have to choose another phone. I don't want the hassle - I just want to make THIS phone work for me.

I consider myself an intelligent guy and an exceptionally quick learner - but I can definitely admit that a lot of my issues may be linked to "user error" - I'm certainly not ruling that out. If that's the case, just let me know and tell me what I'm doing wrong and I'll be all over it. I've read that BBs are extremely complex with a rough learning curve for newbies...and I don't doubt that...but the manual that comes with this phone is god awful and all the info I'm finding online is either extremely basic (same stuff as the manual) or extremely advanced (stuff aimed at BB addicts)...and basically I just need info that's a bridge between the two!

So, here goes...

First, the e-mail on my Storm is completely unreliable - if it decides to work at all. This is KILLING me since reliable e-mail is the #1 reason I went with a Blackberry. I get anywhere from 400-800 e-mails each day; I really NEED to get my e-mails delivered to my phone immediately. Waiting hours to get an e-mail, if it decides to come at all, really isn't just working for me.

I have BIS; only one POP3 e-mail account (domain based, not web-based) setup on the phone. I went through the Storm's E-Mail Setup and received the registration/activation/service books/whatever it's called thing that everything was successful. This was yesterday afternoon around 4pm.

In the evenings, my e-mail slows to a trickle (thankfully!) so I didn't expect to see many e-mails from 4pm onwards...maybe just a few. Of course I had to send myself a test e-mail from my PC to make sure they were coming through to the Storm...but they weren't. Between 4pm and 10pm, I received 12 e-mails to that e-mail account - only two came through to the Storm - one came within two minutes and the other took about 1.5 hours.

I can SEND e-mails successfully from the Storm though.

So, I called Verizon's tech support. Luckily for me, I got the nicest tech support guy I think could ever exist; he sent me two test e-mails, both came to my PC immediately, neither came to the Storm. He logged into something from his end and said that it was showing there were 8 e-mails waiting to be delivered to my Storm...but he couldn't figure out why they weren't coming through because everything looked okay on his end. He said he was going to submit a trouble ticket and it could take up to 72 hours for me to hear anything back.

It's been over 24 hours since I spoke to that tech guy and haven't yet heard from anyone at Verizion.

Today, out of about 600 e-mails that came to my PC - only 4 were delivered to my Storm and only 1 of those 4 was delivered immediately...the others took anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours.

Reading stuff here on the forum, I've seen people suggest to other folks with e-mail troubles to visit the BIS website and mess around with settings in there. So, I tried to register/create an account on the BIS website - but it told me that my Storm's PIN and MEID have already been registered. I don't understand this; I've never been to this website before. Maybe the tech support guy registered an account for me on his end last night or something - but, if so, he never gave me the login information to access the BIS site. Or, maybe it was the Verizon agent where I bought the phone? I don't know but if someone else created an account on my behalf, no one ever gave me login info for it so I have no clue how to access my BIS account now.

So that's my first and most frustrating problem.

Another thing that was driving me insane with this phone is the auto text/correction thing. My previous phone had a QWERTY keyboard so I'm excellent with using them; I admit the touch screen is a bit different for me since you can't "feel" the buttons, but at least I know where my fingers are supposed to be, haha! I can type very quickly with the Storm's keyboard and with fairly minimal errors...

The absolutely frustrating thing, however, is that the phone is constantly telling me that I'm making errors when I'm not and other goofy things happen when I'm typing. For example:

I was typing "radio" - typed the "radi" when the little word suggestion box popped up with some off the wall word so I just kept typing and ignored it, finished adding the "o", hit the space button, and the Storm completely changed "radio" to "raddim"! What the! It doesn't do this type of thing ALL the time, but enough to get on my damn nerves.

I finally figured out how to disable that auto text/correction feature so that I wouldn't have to deal with that stuff any more.

But, the goofy things still keep happening. I know when I'm the one making the mistakes...you know when you try to hit the Q and get the W or when you try to hit the O and get the P. That's all my fault. But, when I'm typing on the P and get a B instead - or when it DOES give me the P but then adds on an A for no reason, that's just goofy. It's also doing this thing now while I'm replying to an SMS, in the middle of typing, the keyboard dissapears, the compose area dissapears, and it takes me to another screen - and it's done it plenty of enough times now where I've been able to make SURE it's nothing that I'm doing accidentally with my fingers!

So, not only am I not getting e-mails, but typing on this thing has already worn down my nerves to the point where I'm seriously wondering if I've made a mistake getting this phone.

I know some of you will probably say I should've got the Curve since I need a phone for e-mails and typing constantly...but the Curve was much harder for me to type on. The buttons are too small and too close together, I found the Storm easier for me; I can type much quicker and much more accurately on it.

So far, I think those are the only two real PROBLEMS I'm having. The rest of my frustrations are all because of lack of knowledge on my part. Like I said, I really, really, really want to LOVE this phone; I want to get to know how to communicate with it properly and how to customize it to work for me and work with me - I just have no idea how to do that. The manual that came with the Storm is completely useless. For a device so robust and complex, you'd think they'd at least give you information that goes above and beyond setting up voicemail, e-mail, adding contacts, using the camera, etc. And since BB's are aimed towards business users, you'd certainly think they'd have a manual aimed towards business users. Goodness!

I really need to talk one-on-one with a hardcore BB Storm user who can ask me what I need the phone for, what I need it to do, what I need to do with it, and then walk me through making it happen step by step.

I only have 28 days left to test this phone before I decide to keep it or not...so I'd appreciate you guys helping me make the best of it so I can make the fairest decision possible.

Thanks in advance to you all, I appreciate it!
    02-05-09 12:22 AM
    Call Verizon back and ask specifically for Blackberry Support about your email issue. Not sure if you were talking with regular tech support or not. But if worse comes to worse, Blackberry support will put you in contact with RIM directly for resolution (at no cost).
    02-05-09 12:33 AM
    There was a problem with the BIS server on tuesday getting any emails and some people were still having the problem wednesday. I can help you with the login already existing problem. This has happened to many users and this is what I suggested them to do. What you need to do is open up the email settings app on the storm. When you get to the screen with all your email accounts, press the BB key and click Create User Name and Password. This will allow you to create login information to use for the website. Also anything that you can do from the website you can also do from the email settings app but it is much easier to use a computer to do it. I would also try to resend the service books from within the app to see if that helps things. You can do this by pressing the BB key on the screen with all your email accounts and clicking Service Books. Then click send service books.

If you are use to using a qwerty keyboard, you currently have two choices. You can use the qwerty keyboard in landscape that is available on every storm OS or you can use the qwerty keyboard in portrait which was made available starting with OS .90. I would also suggest using Suretype if you aren't already since you only have to press each button once and it will try to predict what you are typing and get it right most times. Or you can try using Multitap which resembles the way you would message on a dumbphone. To fix the problem of having multiple letters showing up when you only click one, I would try changing some of the touch settings to fit your needs. You can change this by: Options> Screen/Keyboard> at the very bottom is the Touchscreen settings.

As for a detailed instruction manual, you can find it on the cd that is included with the storm. It is also available on the blackberry website and updated with some of the additions.

BlackBerry Storm 9500 Series - Manuals and Guides

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 12:57 AM
    Ok. Lets take the auto correct first.

Click SMS and MSG button. Click the BB button. (with the BB symbol on it.) Now, scroll to options. Click Spell Check. Uncheck "correct as you type" and/or "auto correction."

The first won't correct as you type, the latter disables spell check all together.

Now, what OS version are you using? Try 4.7.0.99. Also, before installing .99, try doing a device backup with your Desktop Manager, and then doing a "wipe" of your Storm. To "wipe" Click on Options>Security Options>General Settings>Wipe Handheld.

NOTE!!!! Be sure you backup BEFORE wiping device as this will delete ALL emails messages, contacts, ect.

After "wipe", restore previously backed up date via Desktop Manager.

Install 4.7.0.99.

Let device chill, or "marinate" as I call it for about 30 minutes to and hour.

Pull the battery.

Now, do a run through of all apps, data, and email settings. If no email, try resending Service Books. If nothing still, battery pull. Repeating this process is nothing abnormal. Sometimes repeated battery pulls are nessecity.

NOTE!!!! IF FOR ANY REASON YOU "BRICK" YOUR DEVICE (sad but it happens) SEARCH THESE FORUMS ON FIXING BRICKED STORM! IT CAN BE FIXED! You aren't a TRUE BB head untill you've installed OSs, leaked and official, downgraded OSs and fixed a bricked BB. It happens, but this where a WinMo device and a BB are separated. One gets fixed in an afternoon by the owner. The other gets replaced in a few days by the manufacturer......

Also, make sure these settings are done....

E911.....

Click Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services>E911 Only

Next, your mobile network....

Click Options>Mobile Network>Network Technology>1XEV

I am no expert that's for sure, but when I encounter problems, that is how I address them. I have not had ONE problem reguarding sending/recieving emails. Try those things and see what happens....

I understand your frustrations. MOST problems on the Storm stem from not knowing how to use the device. After a few weeks of tinkering here and there, experimenting, and hours of forum reading, I now understand MOST of the device's settings and for the most part, have a problem free device.

I hope something in my LONG LONG list helps. Happy Stormin!
    Last edited by Thomas271973; 02-05-09 at 01:06 AM.
    02-05-09 01:01 AM
    Also, before installing .99, try doing a device backup with your Desktop Manager, and then doing a "wipe" of your Storm. To "wipe" Click on Options>Security Options>General Settings>Wipe Handheld.

After "wipe", restore previously backed up date via Desktop Manager.
    I agree with you saying to do a backup of your device before installing the OS since something can always go wrong with the installation process but disagree with wiping and then reinstalling the backup. This step isn't needed since DM will backup the device, wipe the device and do the reinstall of your backup when installing the new OS. Also the wipe you suggested isn't a true wipe since it leaves the OS intact, using JL_CMder or CrackMem will do a true wipe. But like I said, it's not need and only a matter of preference.

02-05-09 01:17 AM
    I agree with you saying to do a backup of your device before installing the OS since something can always go wrong with the installation process but disagree with wiping and then reinstalling the backup. This step isn't needed since DM will backup the device, wipe the device and do the reinstall of your backup when installing the new OS. Also the wipe you suggested isn't a true wipe since it leaves the OS intact, using JL_CMder or CrackMem will do a true wipe. But like I said, it's not need and only a matter of preference.

Yeah. I've read that, but that's the ONE area I don't have the grapes to delve into....at the moment anyways.

JL_CMder and CrackMem have always scared the shizz outta me. Idk why?

Something to overcome for 2009?
    02-05-09 01:21 AM
    Did everyone actually read ALL of that? I'm impressed.
    02-05-09 04:05 PM
    kasolberg - Haha! Hey, I warned everyone in advance it was going to be a long one! Bless 'em all for reading the post, eh?

kuroshio, Thomas271973, ArmaK - Thanks, guys, for reading the long-winded post and for your feedback, I really do appreciate it!

As for an update:

I followed ArmaK's advice with registering for BIS over my phone and resending service books first thing this morning. As the e-mails poured into my PC, none even so much as trickled into the Storm. So, back to Verizon customer service I called!

I gave the tech my trouble ticket number and she replied saying that it's still open and that it can take anywhere from 72 hours to 7 days to hear back from anyone. Hmm, my original tech on Tuesday said it'd take 2-3 hours to 72 hours. Oh well. Verizon's tech support still has no idea what's wrong, I guess.

So, a few hours later, I tried changing my e-mail settings on the Storm from POP to IMAP, thinking maybe that may help a bit. A few minutes later, I got two e-mails delivered through to the Storm. WOO! I was so excited and thought I fixed things - but, no. Those were the only two e-mails I received out of about a hundred.

Two hours ago, I got an e-mail on my Storm from a Verizon "Network Repair Bureau" guy asking if I got this message on my Blackberry and to please reply. Didn't get any e-mails immediately before that or any time after that, but DID manage to get his somehow. Hopefully he doesn't think that the issue has been fixed just because I got his e-mail!

This whole e-mail thing is on my last nerve.

Thomas271973, you mentioned downloading the .99 OS version. Where do I get this and how do I install it? I'll give that a whirl and see if it helps anything. My phone came with the .75 version.

Is the .99 an official or unofficial version? If unofficial and I install it on the phone, will that cause any problems if I have to end up returning the phone to Verizon before my 30 days run out?

Again, tons of thanks to you guys!
    02-05-09 05:24 PM
    kasolberg - Haha! Hey, I warned everyone in advance it was going to be a long one! Bless 'em all for reading the post, eh?

kuroshio, Thomas271973, ArmaK - Thanks, guys, for reading the long-winded post and for your feedback, I really do appreciate it!

As for an update:

I followed ArmaK's advice with registering for BIS over my phone and resending service books first thing this morning. As the e-mails poured into my PC, none even so much as trickled into the Storm. So, back to Verizon customer service I called!

I gave the tech my trouble ticket number and she replied saying that it's still open and that it can take anywhere from 72 hours to 7 days to hear back from anyone. Hmm, my original tech on Tuesday said it'd take 2-3 hours to 72 hours. Oh well. Verizon's tech support still has no idea what's wrong, I guess.

So, a few hours later, I tried changing my e-mail settings on the Storm from POP to IMAP, thinking maybe that may help a bit. A few minutes later, I got two e-mails delivered through to the Storm. WOO! I was so excited and thought I fixed things - but, no. Those were the only two e-mails I received out of about a hundred.

Two hours ago, I got an e-mail on my Storm from a Verizon "Network Repair Bureau" guy asking if I got this message on my Blackberry and to please reply. Didn't get any e-mails immediately before that or any time after that, but DID manage to get his somehow. Hopefully he doesn't think that the issue has been fixed just because I got his e-mail!

This whole e-mail thing is on my last nerve.

Thomas271973, you mentioned downloading the .99 OS version. Where do I get this and how do I install it? I'll give that a whirl and see if it helps anything. My phone came with the .75 version.

Is the .99 an official or unofficial version? If unofficial and I install it on the phone, will that cause any problems if I have to end up returning the phone to Verizon before my 30 days run out?

Have you tried getting VZ to put you in contact with RIM yet?
    02-05-09 05:38 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that part! I did ask the tech support lady today if there was any way that I could speak with RIM directly and she stumbled a bit and said, "Um, no sir, we handle all technical support issues and will forward the issues onto them if need be."
    02-05-09 05:41 PM
    Hey Gang!

The absolutely frustrating thing, however, is that the phone is constantly telling me that I'm making errors when I'm not and other goofy things happen when I'm typing. For example:

I was typing "radio" - typed the "radi" when the little word suggestion box popped up with some off the wall word so I just kept typing and ignored it, finished adding the "o", hit the space button, and the Storm completely changed "radio" to "raddim"! What the! It doesn't do this type of thing ALL the time, but enough to get on my damn nerves.

I finally figured out how to disable that auto text/correction feature so that I wouldn't have to deal with that stuff any more.
    I've found when Storm fills in a word I don't want, if I just hit backspace key at end of that word, it will switch back to the word I want, not the suggested word. So in your case typing "radio" gets you "raddim" hit backspace at the end of "raddim" and if like mine, you'll get "radio".

Yeah, it's a real pain, but that's all I know to do. I can't stand the Suretype, I always use Multitap, much faster for me.
    02-05-09 07:17 PM
    I'll say it... And the haterz will just have to get over it.

IMO; You have the wrong phone for you. With that many e-mails daily, you will become very frustrated with the keyboard even after you "adapt" to it and your e-mail delivery problems are corrected. The keyboard may get better down the road, but there are no guarantees. It's my biggest complaint about the phone.

You need to either jump to the Curve 8330 or wait for the Bold or Curve 2 to come to Verizon. (Heck, you're not bound to a re-new contract... So you can jump to ATT if you think their coverage works for you) IMO, you need a real keyboard.

In terms of returning or exchanging the phone, there is no charge to you for the phone from Verizon (not sure about the airtime) if you are within 30 days of purchase.
    Last edited by Billmanvl; 02-05-09 at 07:52 PM.
    02-05-09 07:49 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that part! I did ask the tech support lady today if there was any way that I could speak with RIM directly and she stumbled a bit and said, "Um, no sir, we handle all technical support issues and will forward the issues onto them if need be."
    To contact RIM direct there is a support cost. When Verizon puts you in contact with them, they have to eat the cost. That's the reason for the stumble and reluctance.

It sounds like there's an issue. While replying to you several time I received notification on my Storm of new emails before getting them on my laptop (via YIM and Outlook 2007). Try again and ask for a supervisor if necessary.
    02-05-09 08:59 PM
    I'll say it... And the haterz will just have to get over it.

IMO; You have the wrong phone for you. With that many e-mails daily, you will become very frustrated with the keyboard even after you "adapt" to it and your e-mail delivery problems are corrected. The keyboard may get better down the road, but there are no guarantees. It's my biggest complaint about the phone.

You need to either jump to the Curve 8330 or wait for the Bold or Curve 2 to come to Verizon. (Heck, you're not bound to a re-new contract... So you can jump to ATT if you think their coverage works for you) IMO, you need a real keyboard.

In terms of returning or exchanging the phone, there is no charge to you for the phone from Verizon (not sure about the airtime) if you are within 30 days of purchase.
    Wow that's not such a greeat answer. The Storm can handle the email. I get over 100 emails a day with no problems at all. Blackberry in General is the best Smartphone for email. You can have multiple email accounts and it should work fine. It could be the phone he is using. Every phone has different problems. I would just go exchange it. DO NOT try a beta OS, especially if you are not that savy with the Storm. There is always something that becomes better with the betas but something always breaks because of it. Stick with the .75 official OS. I've tried the betas and they were not worth it.
    02-05-09 09:24 PM
    It's not about handling the e-mail(s). It's about the functionality of the keyboard and the speed at which you can input letters, number, and symbols.
    02-05-09 10:02 PM
    I have to agree with Billman... This isn't so much a condemnation of the storm, but an acknowledgment of it's limitations as a HEAVY USE EMAIL tool... which it is not.

Yea, some will say they process hundreds of emails a day on a Storm...

You deserve a medal. Seriously.

You just physically cannot type as fast or efficiently on the click screen as you would on an equivalent, physical keyboard for two reasons. 1. The screen has to rebound for EACH letter. Multiply a few 10ths of a second times hundreds of emails a day and you are talking serious time just waiting for the screen to rebound... do the math. 2. You can't roll to the next key on the click screen while still typing the last key.. again, maybe this saves a 10th of a second per key stroke, but math wins again.

Say you send 100 emails a day with just 50 characters each. (characters, not words) 5000x.2 --> about 17 minutes a day just b/c of the click screen... that assumes you only lose 2 tenths of a second per keystroke to the click.

Why not try the curve for 30 days and see if you can adapt to the keyboard? Just a thought.
    02-05-09 10:16 PM
    I have to agree with Billman... This isn't so much a condemnation of the storm, but an acknowledgment of it's limitations as a HEAVY USE EMAIL tool... which it is not.

Yea, some will say they process hundreds of emails a day on a Storm...

You deserve a medal. Seriously.

You just physically cannot type as fast or efficiently on the click screen as you would on an equivalent, physical keyboard for two reasons. 1. The screen has to rebound for EACH letter. Multiply a few 10ths of a second times hundreds of emails a day and you are talking serious time just waiting for the screen to rebound... do the math. 2. You can't roll to the next key on the click screen while still typing the last key.. again, maybe this saves a 10th of a second per key stroke, but math wins again.

Say you send 100 emails a day with just 50 characters each. (characters, not words) 5000x.2 --> about 17 minutes a day just b/c of the click screen... that assumes you only lose 2 tenths of a second per keystroke to the click.

Why not try the curve for 30 days and see if you can adapt to the keyboard? Just a thought.
    Honestly, I can't agree. I am physically slower on physical keyboard phones than on touchscreen phones. Why? I dunno. But I loathe txting a dispatcher on my company's WinMo smartbrick. I tolerated the Helio Ocean's keyboard fairly well. I could never get the hang of a Sidekick. You're making the assumption that all people will be adept with the tiny keys on something the size of a pack of cigarettes. It's not a valid assumption.

I have seen and know people who are faster on Sidekicks than people on full computer keyboards (full words, not OMG / LOL / UR MBFF). We're all different.
    02-05-09 10:31 PM
    You just don't like me...

Just kidding... I can't argue if that's your experience, and I know you're not alone Kuro.. But I'm not the first to talk about the screen rebound being a physical limitation that can't be overcome.
    02-05-09 10:34 PM

You can get the .99 OS from the following link.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

or

http://zeiroe.serpents-guild.com/bb/..._A4.7.0.99.exe

The .99 OS is a leaked beta version. No, the OS will not cause any problems if you have to return it. But you can always downgrade back to an official OS if you want before returning it. You can find out more about the .99 OS from the following link.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-149503/

The process of installing this update is detailed in the following thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

02-05-09 10:47 PM
    Hey there fellow storm user.

First off, as another poster indicated, there is a much better instruction manual on the cd that came with the phone. Personally, I too was *very* frustrated with the storm when I first got it and considered returning it many times. One thing that helped me a LOT was reading through the Tips and Tricks section on this site. I picked up loads of great shortcuts and handy info that made me go "ahhh, that's SO much better!".

I would avoid turning off spell check and auto correct, personally. Another poster mentioned about using backspace to return to the word you meant to type. I second that. Another suggestion...try and learn to use Suretype. I almost exclusively use it and can't understand how or why anyone wouldn't! It speeds up my typing 10 fold, and also "learns" words you type regularly.

As for your frustrating email issue...that's doesn't seem like an issue with the storm, but with the server. You should call Vzw back and raise holy h*ll until you get better answers. At the very least, until that issue gets resolved, you should certainly not be paying for email service all this time while it's not even working.

And if you're willing, try upgrading to .99, but be sure to follow the directions in the OS forum very closely and seek help on these boards if there's something you're unsure about.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Last edited by SpicytacoTO; 02-06-09 at 06:43 AM.
    02-06-09 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD