Hey guys
    Quick question
    Once the new official os(hopefully.87) comes out with OTA will we need to wipe our storms first or can we just backup all our data and dl the os straight? If we should wipe it how?
    Thkz

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 07:06 AM
    You can't wipe then do OTH. How would you get to the web with out an OS?
    01-15-09 09:40 AM
    I use 4.7.0.75. Correct me if I am RONG, but I thought VZN/RIM was going to do this AUTOMATICALLY, so all I have to do is keeping breathing in and out, n'cest pas ?

Doctor Neutron
    01-15-09 12:26 PM
    Chances are, when the OFFICIAL version is released by VZW, the upgrade will be FULLY automated - either in DM or they'll have a way the OTA will handle it.

Many people have successfully upgraded without doing a "wipe", others have had issues. Again, chances are, when they finally approve a "production OS" the upgrade will not require a wipe.

About the only thing we may have to do manually (and this may be automated also) is restore 3rd party applications.
    01-15-09 12:34 PM
    News Flash!!! Every OS install does a WIPE when it gets installed. People just seem to want to wipe the phone themselves for one reason or another. I have personally done installs both ways and it hasn't make a lick of difference on mine or anyone else's phone I've touched doing official OS installs. The upgrade process is.....

1) Backup data and 3rd party apps if instructed to do so.
    2) Connect to ROM and update core OS, then restart.
    3) Connect to OS (apps) and delete previous, then restart.
    4) Load remaining OS (apps) onto phone and restart. (this restart is what takes the longest)
    5) Restore data and 3rd party apps if instructed to do so.
    01-15-09 01:45 PM
    News Flash!!! Every OS install does a WIPE when it gets installed. People just seem to want to wipe the phone themselves for one reason or another. I have personally done installs both ways and it hasn't make a lick of difference on mine or anyone else's phone I've touched doing official OS installs. The upgrade process is.....

1) Backup data and 3rd party apps if instructed to do so.
    2) Connect to ROM and update core OS, then restart.
    3) Connect to OS (apps) and delete previous, then restart.
    4) Load remaining OS (apps) onto phone and restart. (this restart is what takes the longest)
    5) Restore data and 3rd party apps if instructed to do so.
    doesn't Verizon or the Storm update the "official" apps automatically for you when you update your OS? I am on .86 now and I could have sworn my apps were all deleted automatically on DM and then reloaded automatically for me. The third party ones were the same way on my phone. I still backed them up just in case, but they all were asked if I wanted to install them or not, if I didn't i just clicked the little box.
    01-15-09 01:53 PM
    What "House" (JRSCCivic98) says is true.

For all practical purposes, any OS update does a "wipe".

However, when I first installed .85, it didn't want to work (numerous issues), so I did a "wipe" (using JL_Cmdr) and re-installed, then it worked MUCH better. So, there IS some difference, but I'm darned if I know what it really is...
    01-15-09 03:49 PM
    you should be able to just go to your options button>advanced options>wireless upgrade. This will automatically upgrade your phone for you. You even able to randomnly check for upgrades.
    01-15-09 03:52 PM
    You never have to do a mandatory wipe beforehand for any update and it's a matter of preference. But it is always a good idea to backup your bb data and 3rd party apps before doing any update because anything can go wrong during the update process.

When an update comes out, there are two different ways you can perform an OTA update but in the end is the same thing. The first is to use the check for wireless update under options. The second is to click the wireless update button that is placed on your home screen when an update is found.

If you choose that you want to do a wipe, you can find everything in the following link.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 05:20 PM
    I'll be watching the 'boards' carefully for news of an "official" Verizon update, and when I know it's coming will:

1. disconnect my computer from the network (to prevent an automatic update)
    2. do a full backup - 3rd party apps and all
    3. disconnect the BB from the computer
    4. connect to the network and let it find the update
    5. connect the BB to the pc and let it try the update.

If this has a problem, at least I'll have a manually generated full backup to fall back to...
    01-15-09 06:06 PM
    Maybe the OPs question is I have a leaked OS, will I need to downgrade in order to get the OTA official update. If that's not it, then I have no idea why you would think you HAVE to wipe.
    01-15-09 06:10 PM
    If you pay attention during an os upgrade, you can see it is deleting the current os during the install. I have done 3 os upgrades to my storm and have never had to do a wipe. I think this is what causes all the newbie problems, and it is not needed. Now, there are those that like to seem that they are in the *know*, and will go on and on about the *wipe*, but I beg to differ, it is not necessary..
    01-15-09 06:25 PM
    Maybe the OPs question is I have a leaked OS, will I need to downgrade in order to get the OTA official update. If that's not it, then I have no idea why you would think you HAVE to wipe.
    agreed fo sho
    01-15-09 06:31 PM
    just had error 200. Reinstalled ver. 85 over the existing & it started back with no problems. I didn't have to reload or register any apps as you would sometimes with a wipe.
    01-15-09 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD