Does anyone know if Verizon is going to ever officially release another OS. I know numerous ones have leaked, especially on crackberry.com, but I'm a little skiddish to start downloading unofficial things to something that cost me $300. Please someone shed some light. And if I do update a leaked OS can I go back to the last official update I have? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm sure they are answered somewhere in all these blogs.
    02-15-09 01:18 PM
    Rumor has it that the next official release from Verizon is going to be around March 31st... I really hope they aren't taking that long. I haven't worked there in almost a year now, so all the connections that I personally had within the company have either left for better jobs or I just don't have contact with anymore.

But yes, if you put an unofficial one on there you can always go back. If you're really worried about doing it, then don't. However, out of all the OS versions out there, I still think .99 is the best one. But each person has different results so it's tough to choose.

Also, no these aren't stupid questions =)
    02-15-09 01:22 PM
    Anyone know when people will stop asking this question 10X a day without searching?

There's a TARGET date of March 31st, though it's just a TARGET date. There could be one sooner, spot on, or later. This is NOT a firm date by any means. I don't know how else to say it, so hopefully it's clear. So don't go shaving your head, selling all your worldly possessions, and mixing up the kool-aid in preparation for the second coming of the Storm when March 30th rolls around.
    02-15-09 01:30 PM
    Yes you can go back, as BW said, there are instructions on how to up and downgrade here on CB. Also, for me the best OS so far has been sith's first hybrid, I'm sure the other ones are good too but I've yet to try them.
    02-15-09 01:38 PM
    Every time I click on one of these threads "official OS release from Verizon", I think that this is a thread where the official release is found (I know that there is an official release thread), but still.

Either people need to start re-wording their thread titles or perform a search, but this is getting real old.
    02-15-09 01:44 PM
    no one knows anything
    02-15-09 02:20 PM
    no one knows anything
    That just about sums it all up
    02-15-09 02:33 PM
    Why do people keep answering these threads that we see 3x a day and then complain about it when they see them?
    02-15-09 03:21 PM
    they have os leaks?

use the search function or learn to browse CB.
    02-15-09 03:23 PM
    lol. One of your curse words actually show up heheh. I agree with you though man. Lets keep everything on this forum clean.
    02-15-09 07:10 PM
    Yes they will, yes you can, and yes they are x2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 08:02 PM
    Just to pad their Post numbers...oppss!
    02-15-09 08:27 PM
    Quit smoking crackberries, ismokecrackberries! Perform a search and every single question will be answered...
    02-16-09 02:31 AM
    When I called verizon in December the tech support csr told me that the new update would be out by the beginning of march. I don't think that he was correct. He seemed like he wanted to get me off the phone.
    02-16-09 08:03 AM
    jesus start using question marks on these repetitive, misleading, official os threads, or even better, try searching.. this is getting so annoying

edit: or even creating some sort of minimum post count before you can create a thread might be helpful too
    Last edited by the block; 02-16-09 at 08:12 AM.
    02-16-09 08:07 AM
    Does anyone know if Verizon is going to ever officially release another OS. I know numerous ones have leaked, especially on crackberry.com, but I'm a little skiddish to start downloading unofficial things to something that cost me $300. Please someone shed some light. And if I do update a leaked OS can I go back to the last official update I have? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm sure they are answered somewhere in all these blogs.
    I would be a little reserved about it too if it weren't possible to downgrade back. Thats the beauty of it.
    02-16-09 09:00 AM
    When I called verizon in December the tech support csr told me that the new update would be out by the beginning of march. I don't think that he was correct. He seemed like he wanted to get me off the phone.
    Thats generally the idea. Verizon wont be able to tell you unless its within 24-48 hours. stop listening to them when they say two weeks. they don't know and wont know until a day or two before.

if only that worked here and got everyone who doesn't know how to use the search function to stop making a new post and asking the same question every day.
    02-16-09 10:24 AM
    As someone posted in a previous thread, I think RIM wants the official new OS to be really solid before they release it. Could you imagine if they made one of the leaks official? The b****ing would be nonstop. I think they'll keep providing these leaks for 3-4 more weeks, then start putting things together for an official release.

A great new update would really change perceptions about the device if it worked. If they released something now that worked halfway - then released the great OS in mid-March - it would create even more market perception that the Storm is buggy and no OS will fix it.

You want people to be saying "I installed 4.0.XXXX and now it works fantastic, completely different phone" instead of "F*** now this app doesn't work!"

Could they also be waiting out on an official OS in order to provide upgrades that will allow for the app store? Hmm...
    02-16-09 10:31 AM
    As someone posted in a previous thread, I think RIM wants the official new OS to be really solid before they release it. Could you imagine if they made one of the leaks official? The b****ing would be nonstop. I think they'll keep providing these leaks for 3-4 more weeks, then start putting things together for an official release.
    Just to make it clear, RIM isn't behind the leaks, and they would just as soon they not happen at all. Also, the carriers are the ones who decide which OS release will be final or not, not RIM. RIM develops the OS, submits it to the carriers, they test it, and either put their seal of approval on it or pass and wait for the next one.

And while I know there's a certain psychology to release schedules, I'd rather see a fairly steady stream of minor updates, rather than waiting months for one big update. Something along the agile development philosophy of release early and release often. I'd also like to see a bit more communication in the form of what changed between releases. I don't mean a complete log of who checked in what bit of code, but maybe something along the lines of "Fixed this and that bug, added this new feature, changed this behavior".
    02-16-09 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD