You are right, just because it's not public doesn't mean it hasn't happened. As far as the device being released at CTIA. If I were RIM, I would want a rather large marketing campaign before launching Blackberry's first touchscreen device.
    Good point about the campaign. They need to get the hype train rolling before they can release this puppy. I doubt people will be lined up outside of VZW stores for the Storm, but with enough commercials and news stories about it, I think they can have a near iPhone promo campaign effect.
    09-04-08 06:47 AM
    I'm willing to bet that all of the manager and up level businessmen out there will be calling IT to upgrade their phones asap.
    09-04-08 07:20 AM
    Would there really be any difference in releasing the phone after CTIA and then starting their ad campaign than starting the ad campaign after CTIA and then releasing the phone a month later? I'm not being sarcastic if that what it sounds like, I'm actually wondering this. People who have been following this phone would obviously get it when released and the people who haven't heard about it would be interested by the ad campaign and eventually get it too wouldn't they? Or am I missing something?
    09-04-08 07:21 AM
    Would there really be any difference in releasing the phone after CTIA and then starting their ad campaign than starting the ad campaign after CTIA and then releasing the phone a month later? I'm not being sarcastic if that what it sounds like, I'm actually wondering this. People who have been following this phone would obviously get it when released and the people who haven't heard about it would be interested by the ad campaign and eventually get it too wouldn't they? Or am I missing something?
    The number of potential consumers that have been actually following this device is VERY small in comparison to what RIM and carriers actually want. There are millions of potential customers that have heard ZERO about this device. Considering the market for touch these days, I'd expect a marketing push before a release. Remember this is RIM's first touch AND it's competing against the Iphone 3G. It wouldn't make dollars or cents to release this device at CTIA.
    09-04-08 07:44 AM
    The number of potential consumers that have been actually following this device is VERY small in comparison to what RIM and carriers actually want. There are millions of potential customers that have heard ZERO about this device. Considering the market for touch these days, I'd expect a marketing push before a release. Remember this is RIM's first touch AND it's competing against the Iphone 3G. It wouldn't make dollars or cents to release this device at CTIA.

That what I have been thinking. I even went as far is to post: I thought a decent leak prior to the CTIA may even stir up more interest in the CTIA, and thus the storm. Then the month-long (I hope it is that short) marketing push. The people on these boards are a very small percentage of the public.
    09-04-08 08:25 AM
    That what I have been thinking. I even went as far is to post: I thought a decent leak prior to the CTIA may even stir up more interest in the CTIA, and thus the storm. Then the month-long (I hope it is that short) marketing push. The people on these boards are a very small percentage of the public.
    I know the people following this phone through these boards is a very small percentage of the consumers they want......but what I was wondering was if it really makes a difference to release the phone and then start the ad campaign than to start the ad campaign and then release the phone a month later. So whether the phone is released or not, they are still going to attract the consumers they are targeting with their ad campaigns aren't they?

Also, wouldn't people like us, although a very very small percentage, who would get the phone if it was released before being advertised serve as some sort of advertising for people we see around daily like at work or school. Again, I know it's a very small percentage of people, but still. I know it worked with my Dare at work with some people.
    Last edited by 04civic21; 09-04-08 at 08:39 AM.
    09-04-08 08:31 AM
    I know the people following this phone through these boards is a very small percentage of the consumers they want......but what I was wondering was if it really makes a difference to release the phone and then start the ad campaign than to start the ad campaign and then release the phone a month later. So whether the phone is released or not, they are still going to attract the consumers they are targeting with their ad campaigns aren't they?

Also, wouldn't people like us, although a very very small percentage, who would get the phone if it was released before being advertised serve as some sort of advertising for people we see around daily like at work or school. Again, I know it's a very small percentage of people, but still. I know it worked with my Dare at work with some people.
    I dont know, it could go either way. RIM is a very smart company but hasnt been the best at marketing strategy. Im sure they have studied Apple's hype campaign thoroughly and will probably do it very similar even though we all wish they would release the Storm NOW. And thanks for the hofo link civic.
    09-04-08 10:37 AM
    In my opinion, with a marketing campaign u get more time to test the device and work out the kinks. U can also release it to people to get the word out. How many "celebrity Bold sightings" have there been on crackberry, and that device isn't launched in the US? Another way for RIM to build hype. Plus, with a marketing campaign building up hype, RIM has more time to manufacture the devices for launch and have them distributed to the distribution channels. Its the same reason that movie studios release trailers before the movie comes out, build hype and get the movies to the theaters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 10:43 AM
    This is my first post but have been watching the forums so don't kill the messenger. I went to pay my cell bill today and talked to the lady I have dealt with since day one. I asked her when the storm would be out and she told me it would be a month after the announcement of the phone. So she said we should be seeing it hit stores next month. I asked about price and she said it should be around $250 with a contract and $400 or $500 without. Don't hold me to the price I'm just repeating what I was told. I can't wait for this phone to come out.

09-04-08 10:54 AM
    That seems in line with what we have heard.
    09-04-08 11:01 AM
    This is my first post but have been watching the forums so don't kill the messenger. I went to pay my cell bill today and talked to the lady I have dealt with since day one. I asked her when the storm would be out and she told me it would be a month after the announcement of the phone. So she said we should be seeing it hit stores next month. I asked about price and she said it should be around $250 with a contract and $400 or $500 without. Don't hold me to the price I'm just repeating what I was told. I can't wait for this phone to come out.

That sounds about right with the leaks we have been hearing. In another thread I started, I tell a story about how the COO of VZW told my friend "something big" was coming in October. I believe him and am looking forward to October 13th. After CTIA, we should have enough pictures and videos to hold us over until then.
    09-04-08 11:02 AM
    boygeniusreport com/2008...ayed-3-4-weeks/

What's this about 0mie? Crucial? whoever?
    Is it typical BGR hating or legit?
    09-04-08 02:34 PM
    boygeniusreport com/2008...ayed-3-4-weeks/

What's this about 0mie? Crucial? whoever?
    Is it typical BGR hating or legit?
    I'll say the same thing I have on other forums about this report from BG:
    That doesnt make sense because if it is already at Technical Acceptance level, then it would not be buggy or delayed. If this TA info is right, then we should have the phone around October 13th�the date we have all been hearing. I dont believe VZW accepts anything until it is 100% certified (buildwise) another reason it takes so long for VZW to get their phones out to market. Sorry BGR, but you're wrong.
    09-04-08 02:51 PM
    ah yes, I saw your post at Hofo.
    That does make a lot of sense. But the whole "double confirmation" at BGR has me scratching my head.
    They seem 100% convinced.
    I wanna hear the opinions or insights of an "insider about this".

I'm done with Hofo after the ridiculous crap that followed 0mie banishment.
    09-04-08 03:00 PM
    Not saying this is an indication, but it's atleast a looming shadow, pardon my pun... you will see it later.

Got an email internally that says basically do good, get your certifications, get a free awesome PDA. And their is a shadow image of what I presume to be the storm, or something with what looks to be the same exact dimensions.

Hopefully they wouldn't tantalize us with 2 months til launch, though I have seen it happen, normally once it starts buzzing internally, its a month or so til a launch is imminent.

**Disclaimer. This is just personal opinion, I have no inside source, I am my own inside source, I am not getting this confirmed through a friend of a friend, nor do I know any of RIM's executives, and this is no indication as to the launch date, just a typical projection of what usually happens**
    09-04-08 03:05 PM
    Not saying this is an indication, but it's atleast a looming shadow, pardon my pun... you will see it later.

Got an email internally that says basically do good, get your certifications, get a free awesome PDA. And their is a shadow image of what I presume to be the storm, or something with what looks to be the same exact dimensions.

Hopefully they wouldn't tantalize us with 2 months til launch, though I have seen it happen, normally once it starts buzzing internally, its a month or so til a launch is imminent.

**Disclaimer. This is just personal opinion, I have no inside source, I am my own inside source, I am not getting this confirmed through a friend of a friend, nor do I know any of RIM's executives, and this is no indication as to the launch date, just a typical projection of what usually happens**
    Can you post that "shadow image" for us?
    09-04-08 03:09 PM
    Test... sorry first day posting here!
    09-04-08 03:35 PM
    Here so you don't have to click to look at it

09-04-08 03:41 PM
    That looks like what weve been waiting for!
    09-04-08 03:49 PM
    Matt, way to call them out in that Blog, that made me laugh.
    09-04-08 03:53 PM
    Hopefully the quality is alright on the pic, how bout it crucial? look like a nice lil teaser photo? Couldn't put the rest, ya know, internal email and all, but the image look legit?
    09-04-08 03:55 PM
    PS: I was nervous putting that pic up in the first place, I better be gettin some luv thats fosho
    09-04-08 03:56 PM
    Matt, way to call them out in that Blog, that made me laugh.
    Haha, glad I could brighten your day a bit. But that pic above my post looks pretty legit. This is good news. You work for VZW or RIM?

09-04-08 03:59 PM
    I would guess just from the little bit of background there it VZW. Stupid brand recognition.
    09-04-08 04:01 PM
    I would guess just from the little bit of background there it VZW. Stupid brand recognition.
    09-04-08 04:02 PM
599 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD