I didn't say make the thread. Look Kevin said it will be there. And units will be handed out. That doesn't mean it will be publicized though. And it's that I can't not that I won't or don't know.

You'd think, but then again, you'd thought that would have already been out by now. As you see, this is serious. As are the consequences, lol.
    As much as I would like some information I am almost enjoying the lack there of. Generally this lack of information is not a good thing, but this seems not to be the case here. Hopefully we are really going to be in for a treat here as many of you have already said. . .

Although I hope this is a true (I hate this term) iPhone Killer, I hope there are some real differences between the two - aside from the obvious BlackBerry advantages.
    09-07-08 06:27 PM
    If I'm clear in the several forums and threads I've read, CX has a Bold, or two, a javelin, which he claims to prefer over even a fully functioning Bold, *and* a storm... (and probably a kickstart but uh, yeah). How confusing it must be to choose one! To quote an early Will Smith song ala Fresh Prince "the only question that we would have is whether to drive the porsche the Benz or the jag". Must be tough... How about this scenario. Vzw announces their new phone line up *ending* with merely "a new blackberry" which with RIM following them they start and pick up right where vzw left off. Followed by info on the jav, the niagra, the kickstart, and Bold updates...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 06:27 PM
    As much as I would like some information I am almost enjoying the lack there of. Generally this lack of information is not a good thing, but this seems not to be the case here. Hopefully we are really going to be in for a treat here as many of you have already said. . .

Although I hope this is a true (I hate this term) iPhone Killer, I hope there are some real differences between the two - aside from the obvious BlackBerry advantages.
    I do not see this phone appealing to the iphone crowd. In the end it is still a BB. I think there will be plenty of Verizon users who jump on it but I do not think people will be jumping to get it. When I say this, I mean non BB users. Although, I will be much happier when I am in a Verizon store and the rep can push this instead of comparing the Dare to an iPhone.

**As a flame disclaimer: I have ported to Verizon recently and have a 8330. Also I cannot f'n wait for the Storm**

09-07-08 07:46 PM
    Hey man, I'd like to believe you, but I dont know. There is a VZW rep on HOFO saying otherwise. Here is what he said:

Take from that what you will.
    i tried quoting your whole post, but it deletes your quotes. the old rebates had to be mailed in by oct, the new ones (for a few days already) are for nov. i work for verizon wireless.
    09-07-08 08:01 PM
    I do not see this phone appealing to the iphone crowd. In the end it is still a BB. I think there will be plenty of Verizon users who jump on it but I do not think people will be jumping to get it. When I say this, I mean non BB users. Although, I will be much happier when I am in a Verizon store and the rep can push this instead of comparing the Dare to an iPhone.

**As a flame disclaimer: I have ported to Verizon recently and have a 8330. Also I cannot f'n wait for the Storm**

i have to disagree. although this isnt apparent now, this phone will most likely be heavily advertised by verizon after its announcement. non bb users will be well aware of this touch screen option and will most likely flock to this phone. its a hidden gem
    09-07-08 08:09 PM
    Hey Crucial, I know everyone can't wait for CTIA, and neither can I. Is it still safe to say Kev Mich's blog post is still accurate along the lines of the device appearance and layout for the keyboard??

http://crackberry.com/exclusive-firs...kberry-thunder
    09-07-08 08:35 PM
    Crucial, this thread has been interesting reading for sure, even the Gracie jujitsu internet fight was knock down interesting. I have a question for you though. Obviously you have this phone, the storm. Do you bring it outside your home or office? And if you do, do you get nervous that someone will see it or try to get ahold of it? I've been seeing blackberrys for a long time and I think If I just got a glimpse at someone using a 9500, I would know immediately it's something new, and I would ask the person what it was, or can I see what you have there?

On another note; It's got to be tough not to get worn down by people prying info out of you. Hats off to Stang68 for his undaunted attempts. Just reading this thread from beginning to end made me wish I could give this kid a storm tomorrow.
    09-07-08 08:39 PM
    Here's from their website...

"CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment 2008� Showcases Mobile Business

September 4, 2008

Exhibits and Conference Tracks to Attract 15,000 to San Francisco

Washington, D.C. � At this fall�s CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment 2008� tradeshow and conference, 15,000 attendees from around the world will learn about the latest innovations in mobile business and see products and services from 250 exhibitors. Innovations spanning multiple industries will be highlighted on the show floor, in conference sessions and in specialized industry and country pavilions. CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment takes place September 10-12, at Moscone West in San Francisco.

The keynote stage will host a variety of industry leaders and provide attendees with new perspectives on the future of the wireless industry. On Wednesday, September 10, carrier CEOs Lowell McAdam from Verizon Wireless, Robert Dotson from T-Mobile USA and Dan Hesse from Sprint Nextel will participate in a panel discussing their plans for opening up their networks. Additional keynote speakers include Marco Boerries, executive vice president of Connected Life at Yahoo! Inc.; Craig McCaw, chairman of Clearwire; John Stanton, founder of Trilogy Partnership; Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO of Research in Motion; and Shantanu Narayen, president and CEO of Adobe. For a full schedule of keynote sessions please visit http://www.wirelessit.com/info/keynote_sessions.cfm."

So we'll hear on the 10th from both Verizon AND Tmo! Will the Jav take away the Thunder's, uh, Thunder? Or will people storm the VZW guys to get some info? Both. Still hoping for release dates. And hoping that the "panel discussing their plans for opening up their networks" isn't all they talk about... We'll probably hear about the new 8120 colors, the 8220, and well, maybe some Bold updates from Jim Balsillie. Wish I could be there for that one.
    09-07-08 08:51 PM
    On another note; It's got to be tough not to get worn down by people prying info out of you. Hats off to Stang68 for his undaunted attempts. Just reading this thread from beginning to end made me wish I could give this kid a storm tomorrow.
    Lol, thanks for that. I wish you could...I wish you could. I'm baiting for even one little picture of it!
    09-07-08 09:42 PM
    Kind of on topic, but off at the same time... I know everyone here likes to browse crackberry, just an FYI. The Google Chrome Internet browser beta loads crackberry probably double - triple the speeds of IE, and noticeably faster than Safari web browser.... Not sure how everyone else handles crackberry, it's not that it's terribly slow, but it's definitely noticeable on my comp and those 2 browsers, but flippin Google Chrome browser is amazing! Just thought i'd drop that at yall,
    09-07-08 11:01 PM
    Kind of on topic, but off at the same time... I know everyone here likes to browse crackberry, just an FYI. The Google Chrome Internet browser beta loads crackberry probably double - triple the speeds of IE, and noticeably faster than Safari web browser.... Not sure how everyone else handles crackberry, it's not that it's terribly slow, but it's definitely noticeable on my comp and those 2 browsers, but flippin Google Chrome browser is amazing! Just thought i'd drop that at yall,
    Im actually waiting for the Chrome browser to come out for Macs, 'cuz I'll give it a try. Right now Im on Firefox.

Back to Storm stuff...I just listened to the podcast by Kevin and Craig and they didnt seem to know much more than we do about the Storm. Kinda saddened by that.
    09-07-08 11:27 PM
    Im actually waiting for the Chrome browser to come out for Macs, 'cuz I'll give it a try. Right now Im on Firefox.

Back to Storm stuff...I just listened to the podcast by Kevin and Craig and they didnt seem to know much more than we do about the Storm. Kinda saddened by that.
    Yeah, they didn't even mention CTIA
    09-07-08 11:53 PM
    Don't know if anyone has seen this... it was posted on BGR in response to the 3-4 week delay:

On Sep 5, 2008 @ 11:25 am, USA Said:

@ Everyone

Got solid info this phone is still scheduled for Oct release 3-4 weeks out. BG was correct with the 3-4 week TA. However there is no other delay other than that. I believe BG threw in an additional 3-4 week delay, not the case. This info will be released next week at CTIA. Let�s just say I have connections too.

As for �dummying� down the phone. VZW does not dummy RIM phones nor do they disable the GPS on BBs. GPS works great on my VZW 8830.

This being said mid-Oct will be a historic day for VZW. BTW, marketing will begin after the CTIA conf. According to marketing talk I�ve heard it could begin that Friday after conf. All advertising space, etc has already been paid and allotted for.

Nothing like a RIM commercial in between McCain and Obamas campaign commercials. Maybe RIM needs to give both candidates a Storm to pack around??

-------------------

This just makes me a little bit more excited.
    09-08-08 04:46 AM
    Well, you just put a nice end to my weekend. And yes. It did get me a bit excited too. Almost there!

Last edited by skyys; 09-08-08 at 05:00 AM.
    09-08-08 04:58 AM
    This being said mid-Oct will be a historic day for VZW. BTW, marketing will begin after the CTIA conf. According to marketing talk I’ve heard it could begin that Friday after conf. All advertising space, etc has already been paid and allotted for.

Nothing like a RIM commercial in between McCain and Obamas campaign commercials. Maybe RIM needs to give both candidates a Storm to pack around??

-------------------

I gotta believe this is true, and that the marketing has already started. Yesterday, during the football games, I noticed two Blackberry commercials. I don't recall EVER seeing a Blackberry commercial, and I took this as a sign of things to come. Somehow I get the feeling that next Sunday we will be seeing Storm ads during the games.
    09-08-08 06:59 AM
    Hey Crucial, I know everyone can't wait for CTIA, and neither can I. Is it still safe to say Kev Mich's blog post is still accurate along the lines of the device appearance and layout for the keyboard??

Exclusive: First Live Pics of the BlackBerry Thunder! | CrackBerry.com
    No, but as stated in the blog, this was an old OS.

Crucial, this thread has been interesting reading for sure, even the Gracie jujitsu internet fight was knock down interesting. I have a question for you though. Obviously you have this phone, the storm. Do you bring it outside your home or office? And if you do, do you get nervous that someone will see it or try to get ahold of it? I've been seeing blackberrys for a long time and I think If I just got a glimpse at someone using a 9500, I would know immediately it's something new, and I would ask the person what it was, or can I see what you have there?

Well, you have to remember, Eval untis are handed out all the time. So, it's not like people don't ask or anything but you can't go around showing it off too much and making a big stink. Also remember, most people are unaware of future devices and aren't worried about them until they hit the shelf. Also, if one was stolen or lost, it would be rendered totally useless, that I promise.
    09-08-08 09:15 AM
    i just want a date. i dont mind if its a month or two just so long as theres a time frame that i need to have my money put away for. would be nice if verizon did a preorder online like they did with the voyager but im not holding my breath
    09-08-08 09:33 AM
    Well, you have to remember, Eval untis are handed out all the time. So, it's not like people don't ask or anything but you can't go around showing it off too much and making a big stink. Also remember, most people are unaware of future devices and aren't worried about them until they hit the shelf. Also, if one was stolen or lost, it would be rendered totally useless, that I promise.
    Why don't you "lose" yours in a box to my address. I don't mind if it's useless I'll just post pictures of the thing so everyone can get their fix for the next few days.
    09-08-08 10:03 AM
    I havn't seen anything about it but is there any speculation on optics/camera makers backing the camera on the storm? It seems like Ziess and Kodak are out and about on other phones, but with this being a media phone, is there a chance RIM handed it off?
    09-08-08 10:40 AM
    No, but as stated in the blog, this was an old OS.

Wow, 'totally useless'? Sounds like some kind of self destruct component.
    09-08-08 11:30 AM
    Wow, 'totally useless'? Sounds like some kind of self destruct component.
    All they do is disable the PIN for that Blackberry. Thats what happened to Kevin's Bold that he bought from Ebay. All pre-release devices eventually get terminated.
    09-08-08 11:53 AM
    All they do is disable the PIN for that Blackberry. Thats what happened to Kevin's Bold that he bought from Ebay. All pre-release devices eventually get terminated.
    No, incorrect. Completely different situation.
    09-08-08 11:57 AM
    No, incorrect. Completely different situation.
    I beleive CX is talking about something much more serious here - my thoughts are the device is wiped of all data, locked down and any use of the device results in the following looped playback -
    09-08-08 12:15 PM
    I beleive CX is talking about something much more serious here - my thoughts are the device is wiped of all data, locked down and any use of the device results in the following looped playback -
    That's pretty close 100% accurate. Minus RJ.
    09-08-08 12:19 PM
    any use of the device results in the following looped playback -
    LOL wow, thanks. I needed that before I head off to class hahaha
    09-08-08 12:23 PM
599 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD