If you have verizon, you're good! and NOW you can get the femtocell to make signal in your house better (a great hustle if you know how to do it )
    250 dollars for a femtocell or use your existing wireless router

hmmm
    01-27-09 12:37 PM
    I will play devil�s advocate here as I really like both the Storm and the iPhone as well as Verizon's network and AT&T's

It's amazing there are so many fan boys of these products.

The iPhone is far from a dumb phone it is very much a smart phone whether people want to accept that or not.

Someone made an argument about not being able to do a battery pull on the iphone or change the battery to a larger capacity one. The larger capacity argument I accept but. I can honestly say I have never been to the point on the iPhone where I felt i needed to pull the battery to reset it.

Can't we just accept the fact that there are two very good and capable devices out there and not bicker over which one is better?
    Exactly. Now if they could add push e-mail to the iphone...lol - jk. I only buy non-drm music.
    01-27-09 12:40 PM
    .... RIM will not go away lol..... you have officaly jumped off the deep end.
    Kinda like Novell, Netscape, Lotus, AOL, Gateway, Real Networks...
    01-27-09 12:41 PM
    RCCollins just for reference to your list. Although not currently done yet, RDP and VNC are both in development for the Storm by SHAPE. There is a thread on it as I am not yet allowed to post URLS.

The Iphone has the consumer market locked down now with SmartPhones, but doesn't come close to the BlackBerry's massive hold on the business sector. For example the entire U.S. Military up to the man himself (President) uses Blackberry and maintain BES servers. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon, especially compared to WinMo who tries to fit somewhere inbetween the Blackberry and Iphone's slice of the smartphone pie. The Storm simply tried to take the business side of the BB use and give it a mass market appeal for the regular consumer. Great that the Iphone can VPN and SSH and CISCO...that is awesome...for an Administrator. But does every Iphone user have a CCNA or even know what it is? I doubt it.
    01-27-09 12:41 PM
    Exactly. Now if they could add push e-mail to the iphone...lol - jk. I only buy non-drm music.
    At least non DRM music is now an option with Apple as it should have been all along.
    01-27-09 12:43 PM
    Kinda like Novell, Netscape, Lotus, AOL, Gateway, Real Networks...
    you cant list mostly internet providers and then compare it to RIM lol.
    01-27-09 12:43 PM
    .... RIM will not go away lol..... you have officaly jumped off the deep end.
    lol I agree...
    01-27-09 12:44 PM
    The article is very deceiving, probably an iPhone fanboy. But .5mil is for the first month not the last 2 months since it's been out. Media now a days are very biased and only print what they want you to hear.
    01-27-09 12:47 PM
    You're absolutely right Nuclear Pigeon. Leave the iphone to the kids. There is no comparison between iphone and ANY BB. One is for PDA users, the other is a toy. It's kind of like comparing a microwave to a barbeque. Two different applications even though they both do SOME of the same things!
    Last edited by msc2020; 01-27-09 at 12:56 PM.
    01-27-09 12:54 PM
    RCCollins just for reference to your list. Although not currently done yet, RDP and VNC are both in development for the Storm by SHAPE. There is a thread on it as I am not yet allowed to post URLS.

The Iphone has the consumer market locked down now with SmartPhones, but doesn't come close to the BlackBerry's massive hold on the business sector. For example the entire U.S. Military up to the man himself (President) uses Blackberry and maintain BES servers. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon, especially compared to WinMo who tries to fit somewhere inbetween the Blackberry and Iphone's slice of the smartphone pie. The Storm simply tried to take the business side of the BB use and give it a mass market appeal for the regular consumer. Great that the Iphone can VPN and SSH and CISCO...that is awesome...for an Administrator. But does every Iphone user have a CCNA or even know what it is? I doubt it.
    You do not need a CCNA to use a VPN, it is a tool used by busyness to deploy apps for remote users. The BB browser is so bad that you could not deploy a web app anyway, but regardless. If you haven't noticed M$ is getting into the push busyness, so RIM will linger for some time, but M$ will take that market away from them.
    01-27-09 12:55 PM
    If the iPhone ever comes to VZW, it could be disastrous for RIM and the Storm. UNLESS, RIM can finally get the bugs worked out....and I mean ALL bugs. It seems they fix one thing and it screws something else up. IMO the Storm shouldn't have been released until Summer/Fall 2009.

There may be too much damage done to new Blackberry users to bring them back to RIM. You have to admit, if you never owned a Blackberry before and bought the Storm as your first experience with Blackberry, I too think one would be very disappointed. Everyone relates the iPhone to kids, but the phone is showing to be stable and have apps galore....granted this is their second version so most bugs were taken care of with the first iPhone.

I just hope RIM can get a stable OS released ASAP so the phone functions like its supposed to. Can't wait for the day when I don't have to do a battery pull!! Nevertheless, thru my frustration, I AM KEEPING MY STORM. The hardware on mine is AWESOME so I can't give it up. It may be this time next year before RIM gets it figured out but when they do, I will be ready!

BTW, I'm not leaving VZW because of the handsets offered. Its the reliable network I pay monthly for not the phone.
    Last edited by Pholey22; 01-27-09 at 12:59 PM.
    01-27-09 12:56 PM
    Not at all the case, the iPhones enterprise capabilities are far beyond what RIM has to offer. The BES server is a joke and will be obsolete soon, M$ will make sure of it.
    LOL...I couldn't help but laugh at this. Blackberry is known for it's far more secure enterprise service. It' shows what you really know about tech. You give WinMo a heads up over the BB OS what a joke. I had 3 WinMo devices before and while I build computers. WinMo is a complete joke, even Apple got it right with the iPhones OS. WinMo and all Windows OS are so convoluted it's not even funny. Vista required such a jump in hardware upgrades, that a lot of gamers felt they had been given the finger. MS needs to slim down on their OS'es as there are many Linux systems have showed that a slimmer system with great capabilities can be made. I went to a devs conference last year showing the size of MS' OS kernels compared to a Linux system that was able to do the same task a lot faster. While devs were more MS supporters, they want a change on the OS front, which MS seems to be going the right direction with Win7. But i think it still needs more slimming down.
    01-27-09 12:58 PM
    well said.
    01-27-09 01:12 PM
    like everything else the storm will progress over time. if you have a storm be happy with it. if you have an iphone "don't know why you would be on this site" be happy with it.
    I like BB, iPhone, and WM.
    I just want to see what the nutbar is going to say next
    01-27-09 01:22 PM
    Why is this an issue? I didn't buy a Storm because I hoped it would be an iPhone killer. I bought a Storm because it's on Verizon and because I wanted a smartphone and didn't like the trackball of the regular Blackberries.

I don't understand why the media makes such a big deal about two competing technologies by constantly tracking their sales. It's fine that the iPhone sells 2 million or 5 million or 10 million units. If I wanted to switch off Verizon I would have bought one myself...
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! This iPhone is a great product... but, talk about a screwup... I wouldn't switch to att if you gave me one for free. The frustration level of the Storm is nothing to what I hear my friends go thru with the att network... More bars in more places.... yea, the bars those users stop at for a drink due to poor customer service and dropped calls. I too will get the iPhone IF it ever comes to Verizon.
    01-27-09 01:37 PM
    the iphone is a novelty item. its a gameboy with a phone application. the iphone is directed straight for the youth. dont believe me just look at the home screen of the phone, all those kiddy bold colors and its simple to use interface. my grandma and my little 6 year old cousin could figure everything out on the iphone within an hour. now the blackberry is directed to a more professional group of individuals. but i know where i am living in north carolina the whole "Iphone phase" is quickly wearing away and people are beginning to realize what a real smart phone is. i am 18 so i have seen the huge attraction and amount of blackberrys in high school students hands and college students hands as well as more and more adults getting a blackberry. high school and college students are over the whats cool phase and now are wanting a truly more sophisticated phone. thats why i have the storm, i have all my homework assignments, more music and video than i could ever fit onto a dang iphone and an user interface that i will never get bored with. all heil the blackberry
    01-27-09 01:44 PM
    THERE HAVE BEEN 1 MILLION STORMS SOLD JUST ON VERIZON ALONE. count it, thats 1,000,000. 6 zeros baby
    01-27-09 01:48 PM
    THERE HAVE BEEN 1 MILLION STORMS SOLD JUST ON VERIZON ALONE. count it, thats 1,000,000. 6 zeros baby
    I bought four.
    I like money....
    01-27-09 02:28 PM
    Has it been said yet? The iPhone is no Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 04:51 PM
    Actually, I tend to agree with that.

The mixture of being on a provider with a history of poor customer service and a very buggy product sealed it's fate.

I still think it's a good phone.
    01-27-09 04:58 PM
    Storm is the best phone I've had since I have had a phone. I am 25 and I have had a cell phone for the last 9 years of my life. I've had the Voyager which somone stated that the Storm is not as good as, but IMHO the Storm blows it out of the water!!! As buggy as it can be every now and then(which is not even bad) Storm is the best professional phone HANDS DOWN!
    01-27-09 05:09 PM
    That is correct. The reason for such a low number is that the availability was low. They only had an certain amount to give out and in my area, Erie, Pa each corporate store got 20 each the day they launched! Independent agents got...... 0.0. If the availability was there, VZW would have sold 2 million easily by now!! The most phones get sold in the first 2 weeks of a launch of the phone and being that there was a lack of them available, it made the sales pathetically low! There was some mysterious reason that all of the phones got launched with a BS operating system. Therefore had to all be re-flashed with the most current software, which in turn put the availability way behind.
    He edited the OP from 1.5 million to .5 million after I corrected him.
    01-27-09 05:12 PM
    I Love The Storm! Absolutely In Love With It!
    01-27-09 05:26 PM
    the iphone is a novelty item. its a gameboy with a phone application. the iphone is directed straight for the youth. dont believe me just look at the home screen of the phone, all those kiddy bold colors and its simple to use interface. my grandma and my little 6 year old cousin could figure everything out on the iphone within an hour. now the blackberry is directed to a more professional group of individuals. but i know where i am living in north carolina the whole "Iphone phase" is quickly wearing away and people are beginning to realize what a real smart phone is. i am 18 so i have seen the huge attraction and amount of blackberrys in high school students hands and college students hands as well as more and more adults getting a blackberry. high school and college students are over the whats cool phase and now are wanting a truly more sophisticated phone. thats why i have the storm, i have all my homework assignments, more music and video than i could ever fit onto a dang iphone and an user interface that i will never get bored with. all heil the blackberry
    LOL! Wait, wait, wait. This is supposed to be a bad thing?! LOL! Get real.
    01-27-09 05:28 PM
    Yes that is a good point and could cause the problem.
    01-27-09 05:32 PM
127 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD