Do the changes to the files mentioned equate to 12KB difference between the two install executables?

06-02-09 09:50 AM
    This could also be due to vendor.xml file.

Not sure what the size of that is...
    06-02-09 09:59 AM
    yeah vendor file is no longer "empty"
    06-02-09 10:04 AM
    Take it for what it's worth, but here is an e-mail we got today. I got the beta 203 a few days before someone posted it on CB, so I'm gonna go ahead and try out the official 203, just to see if it really is much different. Anyways, thought I'd pass along the e-mail.

Hi XXXX,

The production release of package 203 is different than that has been provided through the beta process of package 203. The production code is more refined, and has complete issue fixes within.

Sincerely,

XXXX
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    The version that leaked is the exact same as what Verizon made Official. The only difference is the Vendor.xml file. RIM complies the build and sends it to carriers. Carriers DO NOT re-write RIM's code. Nor does RIM, who has stopped 4.7.1 builds, go back and re-write any code. If the revision isn't good enough, then they move to the next build. But once it's compiled, that's it. It is what it is. Again, the Official .148 is the same as the leaked version.
    06-02-09 10:16 AM
    Do the changes to the files mentioned equate to 12KB difference between the two install executables?

The installers means nothing. Installer file size may change for various reasons, from compression type to Verizon deciding to brand the installer.

What counts are the installed files, which are identical except for the two files mentioned in my post, which only affect how the update is labeled in DM. Again, the OSes are identical.
    06-02-09 10:19 AM
    The version that leaked is the exact same as what Verizon made Official. The only difference is the Vendor.xml file. RIM complies the build and sends it to carriers. Carriers DO NOT re-write RIM's code. Nor does RIM, who has stopped 4.7.1 builds, go back and re-write any code. If the revision isn't good enough, then they move to the next build. But once it's compiled, that's it. It is what it is. Again, the Official .148 is the same as the leaked version.
    LMAO -

"The Earth is round I swear it is."

How do you know? Have you been to outer space?

"The curvature of the horizon and the sinking of the horizon at a fixed rate ..."

Well - I won't believe it until I can see it from space. I had a reliable authority tell me that it was not round...
    06-02-09 10:24 AM
    Nuff said. End of discussion. Period. Booyah lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 10:39 AM
    This could also be due to vendor.xml file.

Not sure what the size of that is...
    yeah vendor file is no longer "empty"
    And said vendor file is likely why VZW would rather folks were on the Offical & no the leak.

Hmm wonder if VZW is responsible for the misinformation as a way of trying to get that Vendor XML back on everyone's phones
    06-02-09 11:24 AM
    ...curious, anyone ever looked in the Vendor file?
    06-02-09 11:41 AM
    Its threads/post like this that run CX radio don sith away from the storm section. Can all stop it. It is the same

06-02-09 11:50 AM
    And said vendor file is likely why VZW would rather folks were on the Offical & no the leak.

Hmm wonder if VZW is responsible for the misinformation as a way of trying to get that Vendor XML back on everyone's phones
    No, misinformation comes from forum members who have absolutely no clue of what they are talking.

First of all, the vendor.xml file doesn't get copies onto the phone as far as I know.

Second, if they wanted to block "unauthorized" OS to get on the phone, it would be very easy. They could simply check the branding info (which BTW, is on the same memory chip as the phone programming information and is not editable without a special program and the security code) for the Vendor ID, sign their COD's with the target Vendor ID, and no one could do anything about it.

Third, Verizon did a mishap in the latest release. For those who actually looked at the Vendor.xml file, it includes vendor information for ALL Vendors, not just Verizon.

And fourth, once the OS is installed on the phone, and if it has the same Platform, Software and Package version as the official release, Verizon has absolutely no way of telling if you are running a leak or not (other than checking the date you first registered your phone to their network with that OS).

BTW, Branding Version is different from phone to phone and is not updated when an OS is updated. Please check my post about version numbers...

And again, it doesn't matter if the installer you download are different, the files inside them are the same. .148 leaked and .148 official is the exact same OS.
    06-02-09 12:11 PM
    I used to work on a Configuration Management team in the Release Readiness unit at a rather large data processing company. My job was to build software packages out of code that the developers submitted.

The version control numbers that we used were in the W.X.Y.Z format where
    W= Major release,
    X= Minor release,
    Y=Bugfix, and
    Z= Build

If any of the underlying code changed (and I mean ANY), a new build had to be complied and Z (at least) was incremented by 1.

I assume most large corporations with any type of version control (especially one in the business of writing code for distribution such as RIM) would follow some sort of similar method, though maybe not exactly the same naming standard. With this, it stands to reason that if the leaked OS was called 4.7.0.148 and the official is called 4.7.0.148, they would be the exact same code.
    06-02-09 01:55 PM
    I used to work on a Configuration Management team in the Release Readiness unit at a rather large data processing company. My job was to build software packages out of code that the developers submitted.

W= Major release,
    X= Minor release,
    Y=Bugfix, and
    Z= Build

If any of the underlying code changed (and I mean ANY), a new build had to be complied and Z (at least) was incremented by 1.

I assume most large corporations with any type of version control (especially one in the business of writing code for distribution such as RIM) would follow some sort of similar method, though maybe not exactly the same naming standard. With this, it stands to reason that if the leaked OS was called 4.7.0.148 and the official is called 4.7.0.148, they would be the exact same code.
    Not exactly in this case, please read RIM's Version Number Explained.

The problem is that people are using the Application Version to indentify an OS release when they should be using the Package Version.
    06-02-09 02:10 PM

W= Major release,
    X= Minor release,
    Y=Bugfix, and
    Z= Build

Basically, yes you're correct. If any new code is written, it is an entirely new version. Carriers aren't allowed to re-write the code for the device software. Therefore each build whether leaked or official are the exact same thing. For the record, RIM doesn't use the same WXYZ format but all in all, it's basically the same.
    06-02-09 02:20 PM
    Where do installation scripts fit into all this version# business? The installation programs I am familiar with (such as InstallShield) do a lot more than just copy over the new files; they do all sorts of release-specific tweaking, such as deleting obsolete files, reorganizing data files, and so on. Are these just part the java files, the radio file (which, from the descriptions, is really just the OS kernel), or additional files in the package? These scripts or whatever need not end up on the phone, but they would definitely effect the update process (and the outcome).
    Last edited by CharlesH; 06-02-09 at 04:01 PM.
    06-02-09 03:57 PM
    Question: When I turn my phone on, it says Verizon as I'm sure it says Vodaphone for those users. Who implements this screen, RIM or Verizon? Is this the information contained in the vendor file?

06-02-09 04:03 PM
    Is this the information contained in the vendor file?
    The vendor.xml file is a list of vendors and the set of (package, phone model) that they support. It is just a text file.
    06-02-09 04:05 PM
    Gracias.

The vendor.xml file is a list of vendors and the set of (package, phone model) that they support. It is just a text file.

06-02-09 04:08 PM
    Question: When I turn my phone on, it says Verizon as I'm sure it says Vodaphone for those users. Who implements this screen, RIM or Verizon? Is this the information contained in the vendor file?

That information is flashed in a chip in the factory. It is not updatable (by the user) and therefore isn't included with the OS (ie.: an OS downloaded from, let's say Telus Mobility and installed on your Verizon phone won't cause the Telus logo to show up).

It is called branding information and it is the reason behind the "Branding Version" in the about screen.
    06-02-09 04:10 PM
    That information is flashed in a chip in the factory. It is not updatable (by the user) and therefore isn't included with the OS (ie.: an OS downloaded from, let's say Telus Mobility and installed on your Verizon phone won't cause the Telus logo to show up).

It is called branding information and it is the reason behind the "Branding Version" in the about screen.
    Thank you. That was where my question was headed.

06-02-09 04:16 PM
    thanks for the hashes finewolf, always fun to look at for us geeks
    06-02-09 05:09 PM
    I noticed absolutely zero difference
    06-02-09 05:18 PM
    I noticed absolutely zero difference
    Oh god... That's because there is none... Did you read the whole thread before posting?
    06-02-09 05:20 PM
    Hmm... I wish i had a dollar for everytime someone insisted leak/beta was different then the official...i'd be sitting pretty Phat! right now....;p
    06-02-09 05:31 PM
    Hmm... I wish i had a dollar for everytime someone insisted leak/beta was different then the official...i'd be sitting pretty Phat! right now....;p
    Yea, I'm kinda getting pissed. There is irrefutable proof that they are the same and yet people still argue that they are not. It's frustrating.
    06-02-09 05:34 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD