Take it for what it's worth, but here is an e-mail we got today. I got the beta 203 a few days before someone posted it on CB, so I'm gonna go ahead and try out the official 203, just to see if it really is much different. Anyways, thought I'd pass along the e-mail.

Hi XXXX,

The production release of package 203 is different than that has been provided through the beta process of package 203. The production code is more refined, and has complete issue fixes within.

Sincerely,

XXXX
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    06-01-09 08:53 PM
    Weird, the SHA1 hashes of the files are the same.
    06-01-09 08:55 PM
    But the question is is the leaked version a Beta?
    06-01-09 08:56 PM
    Well, the beta version I got before it "leaked" on CB.com had a different signing date from RIM, but it was the same file size, so I assumed the 'beta' version I have had is the same as the 'leaked' version. I also assumed the beta/leaked version was the same as the official one...Anyways, I'll let you know if I notice anything different after I put this official one on. I'd rather have a 9530 leak of 151 tho.
    06-01-09 08:59 PM
    they are the exact same

CX stated several time also in a previous thread, how hard is this to get people??

148 is 148 is 148....its not more "refined" and has no issues fixed. i want to throttle someone!
    06-01-09 09:04 PM
    Depends which definition of Beta you wish to use. The classic definitions say the test phases are Alpha (internal) and Beta (external). It is impossible to leak a suported release because it is freely available and we can ignore Alpha builds, so the only other group which exists to be leaked is Beta. If it is subsequently accepted for release it loses Beta status.

CX stated several time also in a previous thread, how hard is this to get people??
    Even more conclusive, Finewolf points out that the SHA1 hash is identical. That is about the most conclusive proof you could get, short of a byte-by-byte comparison. The statistical probability they are not the same is vanishingly small.
    06-01-09 09:08 PM
    they are the exact same

148 is 148 is 148....its not more "refined" and has no issues fixed. i want to throttle someone!
    The leaked version is the same, but if someone actually had a true beta before the leak, it could be different, but only a few days before the leak would be too close as it was already out there being tested.

Can I watch the throttle, I have not seen a good one since the last blanket party I attended in Vietnam.
    This doesn't make any sense. RIM sent you this?

RIM uploads an OS to partners and VZW gets it. Am I missing something?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The leaked version is the same, but if someone actually had a true beta before the leak, it could be different, but only a few days before the leak would be too close as it was already out there being tested.

Can I watch the throttle, I have not seen a good one since the last blanket party I attended in Vietnam.
    I would still say no unless like branta stated and you are looking at alpha and beta forms. Once it goes beta and is sent outside of RIM, there would be no changes at all though. It would become a new build after that.
    06-01-09 09:13 PM
    Which one is official .148? The one we scrambled to download on sunday at 3PM?

the one offered OTA?

the one actually offered on Verizon's website?

something tells me they are ALL identical
    06-01-09 09:14 PM
    <yawn>

Why doesnt this thread get closed like all the others?

Its the same people, just start looking for the next leak anyhow!
    06-01-09 09:17 PM
    I had a VZW tech tell me today that the leaked version of 148 was different than what VZW released. He said that the leak was a beta version and that the OS had been more refined before it was released to the public.

I am just repeating what I had been told, I am not stating this is what I think. I honestly have no clue if its the same or not, but people that know a lot more about this stuff than I do say its the same, so I trust them.
    06-01-09 09:24 PM
    Which one is official .148? The one we scrambled to download on sunday at 3PM?

the one offered OTA?

the one actually offered on Verizon's website?

something tells me they are ALL identical
    exactly...as stated earlier 148 is 148 is 148...mathematically and in OS's
    06-01-09 09:31 PM
    Unless someone can prove that they are different. I am sticking with my original thought.

06-01-09 09:31 PM
    Actually, two files differ from the leaked OS and the Verizon release: PkgDBCache.xml and specification.pkg. They do not affect the operation of the OS however, they only affect the way the update is displayed in the DM. The files installed on the phone are the same.

Attached are the hashes list if anyone is curious.

So, it closes the matter. The leaked .148 and the Verizon release are the exact same.
    06-01-09 09:33 PM

As someone said before... if a beta tests out it and is ready NO CHANGES NEEDED then all they have to do is take off the word beta and release it. If a few tiny modifications are needed then they will change the version, slap a another set of .### on it or add a letter like a b or c. The file size is not a conclusive way to check this but a checksum is nearly 100%

So what you mean by a true beta before the leak is an ALPHA... and usually you want to stay away from alphas unless you are a tester, engineer, developer, programmer, etc.

And for blackberry beta typically means that it is ready to be released to a large amount of "testers" and they dont have to work for blackberry or be trained by blackberry... so for example certain employees of verizon wireless, solectron, or other companies... This is why they are leaked so easily because the people they are distributing the software to do not work for blackberry and it is just way to easy to get passed around.
    06-01-09 09:37 PM
    yes of course
    06-01-09 09:40 PM
    FineWolf answered this conclusively with the hash.

Close it up, this is pointless... we already knew they were the same, and now it's been proven hard facts don't lie...

Close this one up and end all the future ones... please...
    06-01-09 10:07 PM
    This doesn't make any sense. RIM sent you this?

RIM uploads an OS to partners and VZW gets it. Am I missing something?

Exactly....RIM sends them to partners and VZW. I work for one of the partner companies...The beta we received for package 203 was a different file size and had an earlier signing date than the one that leaked on the forum. If you don't believe me, ask the people that I've PMed to help complete the survey RIM sent us for feedback on the 203 package.
    06-01-09 10:33 PM
    Actually, two files differ from the leaked OS and the Verizon release: PkgDBCache.xml and specification.pkg. They do not affect the operation of the OS however, they only affect the way the update is displayed in the DM. The files installed on the phone are the same.

Attached are the hashes list if anyone is curious.

So, it closes the matter. The leaked .148 and the Verizon release are the exact same.
    Can you send me whatever program you used to generate those hash reports. I want to do that to the beta we received to see if anything is different.
    06-01-09 10:36 PM
    ok ok. Ive asked it several times. I know they are the same but for those of you that for some reason keep saying they are different please tell us what is different between the leaked and official. Oh wait I will answer it for you, "Uh well actually I cant see any differences".
    06-02-09 02:22 AM
    I had a VZW tech tell me today that the leaked version of 148 was different than what VZW released. He said that the leak was a beta version and that the OS had been more refined before it was released to the public.

I am just repeating what I had been told, I am not stating this is what I think. I honestly have no clue if its the same or not, but people that know a lot more about this stuff than I do say its the same, so I trust them.
    The flaw in this is the information is coming from a VZW tech. That makes the entire argument questionable
    06-02-09 03:49 AM
    yes of course
    Disagree. The leaked version we got was the same OS that got sent to Verizon for testing. Why would RIM send VZ a Beta? Plus we've already determined 20,000x they are the same, therefore leak = no beta = exact same as the official.

Part of the controversy here might be the fact that tons of people (myself included) inadvertently interchange "leak" with "Beta." In fact those do not mean the same of course.
    06-02-09 05:54 AM
    Getting frustrated with so many worthless .148 threads. These are making the forums useless to search or get any actual help.
    I couldn't agree with your signature more...
    06-02-09 06:56 AM
    Can you send me whatever program you used to generate those hash reports. I want to do that to the beta we received to see if anything is different.
    It's sha1sum, part of the GNU CoreUtils included in all respectable Linux distribution. Here is the link to the Windows port

CoreUtils for Windows

Easiest way for you to use, drop all files in a directory, open the console, navigate to the directory using cd and then type the following:

sha1sum --binary *
    Last edited by FineWolf; 06-02-09 at 08:50 AM.
    06-02-09 08:04 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD