Hey folks,

After upgrading to .99 this morning, at some point (not sure when), something started a massive battery drain. My phone was holstered most of the day, and was around 90% charged at noon; around 4PM, I noticed my phone was quite warm and my battery was below 10%. No apps running, and signal strength was high. I plugged it in to charge, and at first it showed the charging icon for around 10 minutes, but then the charge icon disappeared. Unplugged and re-plugged, and it seemed as if it was charging but then the phone died completely and wouldn't turn back on, other than briefly showing what I assume was a "no charge" icon. For the next while the phone seemed to keep trying to turn on, flash the red light a few times, then shut off again. At this point I thought for sure my phone was bricked.

I should mention I had done a battery pull since the upgrade, as I always do. Third-party apps consist of WeatherBug, TwitterBerry, ScreenLock 1.5, Google Maps, and the usual FaceBook/MSN etc that comes with the Storm. None of these were actively running, although WB would of course be in the background. I read the WB issues today but saw no mention of related battery issues.

Has anyone else noticed such behaviour with the .99 release? I've never had this happen before today. At the moment my phone's charging and seems to be OK now, but I'll have to post later to update.
    02-01-09 10:50 PM
    Took 8 hours for my phone to die, with only moderate usage. My phone is also holstered most of the day..
    02-01-09 10:54 PM
    I just updated this afternoon, just after lunch. After the first reboot I was at about 85% and after 8 hours and light to moderate use I'm down to 35%. I'll see how it is tomorrow when I'm at work. It's only the first day but I thought today's battery usage was out of the ordinary.
    02-01-09 11:08 PM
    not so much of a battery drain but been noticing a slow painful memory leak..... But keep in mind as most previous OS's have been known to do.... start having better life after a few days
    02-01-09 11:16 PM
    Well, since re-charging the phone last night, all seems OK, oddly enough. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on the phone over the next few days. I even left it in the holster overnight to see if that was what caused the drain/heating issue.

Weird.
    02-02-09 10:35 AM
    I had the same problem with .90 as well... It'll do it once then be fine. My biggest problem is with the constant reboots.
    02-05-09 09:56 AM
    I noticed the same thing. I did a wipe and updated to .99 last night. Started with a full battery this morning. Talked on the phone for about 10 minutes today and the battery was half drained. About 2 hours later with it just in the holster, the battery completely died.
    02-09-09 05:34 PM
    I know I have seen it before ... but, could there be an issue with original releases vs 12/15 (or replacements)?

I have been on .99 since 2/2 and have only experienced battery issues when listening to music, watching 1 1/2 to 2+ hr movies or using VZN for a grat period of time (drains over 2/3s over use of 1 1/2 hrs).

I do surf and receive / reply to work email (quite often) and without the above tasks, can last all day. I do however have to charge every night.

Just remembered, when in a extended teleconference, I have had to plug it in once in a while when conference last more than 1 1/2 hrs. (only utilize Blue Ant wireless during the conferences) .... ?
    02-09-09 05:54 PM
    I have also noticed the battery drain and warmth. I've been on .99 for two days. In my pocket it gets warm. Battery was full this morning, now 6hrs later it's dead. Haven't really used it. Just did another battery pull and am waiting for the charger to give the battery enough juice to turn on.
    02-11-09 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD