I've searched through these forums and can't find a similar problem / solution.

I've also tried the solutions provided in articles like "Blackberry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked Blackberry", but those haven't worked either.

Here's the situation:

My Storm was working fine but after it had been charging awhile, I found that it was unresponsive. Black screen, no response to buttons. I pulled the battery and reinserted; it came up with a white screen and hourglass. After about 60-90 seconds, the screen went out again and wouldn't come back on or respond. I pulled the battery again and got absolutely no screen response. Now, the only thing that happens is that the red LED comes on for a solid 15 seconds, then off for about 60 seconds; this repeats indefinitely. Extended battery pulls changed nothing.

When I tried the solutions above using the Loader.exe application, I couldn't ever get the computer to acknowledge that the phone was hooked up to the USB port; the "COM" settings never changed to "USB: unknown PIN" so that I could move on the next steps. I tried doing all this during those 15 seconds that the red LED was on thinking that might be the only time I could connect, but to no avail. I was using a USB direct cable and not a hub.

Now, here's my sob story: I'm stuck in the hospital with an ill family member and the nearest Verizon store is 80 miles away...and I can't really leave. So, if anyone has suggestions on what to try next, I'd certainly appreciate any assistance!

Thanks!
    01-21-09 11:18 AM
    What Windows OS are you running?
    01-21-09 11:25 AM
    Did the device hit water? Did you try a new battery? Did you try connecting to computer with battery out?
    01-21-09 11:28 AM
    01-21-09 11:34 AM
    You could also try JL_Cmder to wipe it clean and then start over. Complete instructions are in posts on this site. Search for JL_Cmder.
    01-21-09 11:40 AM
    No, the item hasn't been exposed to water. It was charging when it just stopped working.

I am using Windows Vista 32, the latest DM download, and the latest OS download from Verizon. But, none of that really is playing a role yet because the phone and the computer won't talk via USB.

I have tried all the suggested links for recovering a nuked device. All require that the device at least be able to connect with the computer via the USB cable (I'm not trying to use a hub either). I did try connecting to the computer with the battery out; when I did so, I got the solid red 15 second light as soon as I plugged in the USB cable...but still no connection. The computer doesn't even acknowledge that anything was plugged in either.

I think it's curious that the red LED comes on solid for 15 seconds every 60 seconds (with the battery or just when plugged directly into USB) even though nothing else on the device seems to work.

No, I haven't tried a new battery; as I mentioned in my post, I'm stuck with a family member in the hospital unfortunately. (But at least I have wireless net access to try to get some help from you guys!)
    01-21-09 05:18 PM
    Call and get a device shipped out to you.
    01-21-09 05:33 PM
    Uhm.

Well.

I finally got back to my desktop this evening; I had been working on the laptop when I was experiencing the aforementioned issue. I plugged the phone into the desktop USB cable and heard the familiar connection sounds on the computer; it then popped up a message saying that it knew I just plugged in my Blackberry. That was a good sign...and then, after about 20 seconds, my screen came on and the phone rebooted.Three minutes later, all is back to normal.

The apparent cause? Dead battery...and despite the fact that I charged it overnight the last two nights on both my laptop and a different desktop, the cable I was using was apparently bad.

I guess I can send the replacement unit back to Verizon when it arrives tomorrow. :-)

Oh, and I am using Windows 7 Beta on the desktop that got everything back to normal tonight.
    01-21-09 10:49 PM
    Yeah! I'd go with getting it replaced. Sounds like it's bricked.
    01-21-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD