well, i have only ever done my operating system changes by upgrading, not wiping and doing a fresh install. my phone has always worked well, and i have had only one strange email issue (a couple days after i upgraded to .86), which prompted me to try the wipe and reload as a last resort troubleshooting option. now my phone does all the strange stuff you guys write about.. the app error 523 white screen every few hours, the media card loaded locked verizon screen, etc etc. how is this possible when i did it the "right" way??

my question is, why did my phone work 99.5% perfect until i did the "recommended" wipe and reload of the os? is this possibly why everyone is having issues.. that there are software items that are supposed to remain while you upgrade your phone that are being removed with the jl_loader program?
    01-18-09 03:03 PM
    Many people will argue if you should do a wipe or not, I do not choose to and have installed OS, over OS multiple times. Even highly educated BB individuals say not to do a wipe.
    01-18-09 03:06 PM
    yeah... i made that mistake and will never do it again. i'm just upset now that i no longer have a reliable device.. i will have to downgrade to a lower version in the hopes that it resolves the crash and lockup problems
    01-18-09 03:08 PM
    after two os uploads my app memory would nevergo above 30 mb and drain to 0. I did a wipe and my mem is between 40 and 50mb all the time. I wiped before installing os 86. I received the white screed and error once after the first day but haven't seen it again.
    01-18-09 03:16 PM
    i did the wipe and .86 reinstall yesterday. last night i took it out of the holster and it was frozen. did a battery pull. it came up with the memory card inserted/locked verizon background. restarted it again and it worked. late last night i came back inside from playing pool and i had the lovely 523 white screen. i plugged it in to charge after doing a reset and this morning when i woke up, it was 523 white screened again. i have NO 3rd party apps at all. this is a basic install without visual vm, etc.
    01-18-09 03:24 PM
    i did the wipe and .86 reinstall yesterday. last night i took it out of the holster and it was frozen. did a battery pull. it came up with the memory card inserted/locked verizon background. restarted it again and it worked. late last night i came back inside from playing pool and i had the lovely 523 white screen. i plugged it in to charge after doing a reset and this morning when i woke up, it was 523 white screened again. i have NO 3rd party apps at all. this is a basic install without visual vm, etc.
    wow, i thought i had issues! That would be driving me insane that many times, ive had it a few times since ive upgraded to .86 but not as many times as you, thank god. .86 does seem to be less reliable then the others, im hoping they release a official version soon with all the bugs worked out, their about due!
    01-18-09 04:12 PM
    Once again we see varied experience. One can only wonder why??

I loaded .75 on top of .65 and have wiped and loaded each of .83, .85 and .86 and I am having virtually not problems.

I would suggest re-wiping and re-loading .86 just to be sure you got a good upgrade.
    01-18-09 04:16 PM
    I have been very lucky. I have upgraded every time a leaked OS has come out and I have not had any problems. I have not done a wipe or anything else. As a matter of fact I still have the original phone i had shipped to me from Verizon. I do use Quick Pull about every 2 days as a matter of routine but I do not notice any problems. Never had the Verizon screen of death or anything else. Am I one of the few?
    01-18-09 05:25 PM
    yeah .86 sucks for me big time. i get media card inserted errors even with the phone just sitting there.

the display randomly doesnt turn off, killing battery bad

the led does in fact go crazy alot

and other weird keyboard and ui issues.

but i am too lazy to downgrade and will wait for .88 from bb397
    01-18-09 05:55 PM
    Once again we see varied experience. One can only wonder why??

I loaded .75 on top of .65 and have wiped and loaded each of .83, .85 and .86 and I am having virtually not problems.

I would suggest re-wiping and re-loading .86 just to be sure you got a good upgrade.
    Even with a wipe .86 has been terrible for me. I first installed it over .85 then did the wipe not once but twice and the os was still terrible. That's why I just down graded to .85 much more stable with no lock ups on the scrolling.
    01-18-09 09:11 PM
    I get App Error 523 every couple of hours literally, every day. It will randomly be on that Reset screen when I go to check the phone, no warning, no clue as to what action or app caused it..God, you would think there is some kind of log that would help you see the last thing it tried accessing before the error or something (I know there's the event log, but I've never read once that anyone has used it to figure out what app exactly is causing the error...can this be possible?). It's getting really frustrating that even after deleting many 3rd party apps, this is still happening SO often. I've tried wiping the OS and reloading it and the backup...no luck, still has been happening with every beta OS I've used.
    Last edited by guts311; 01-19-09 at 03:12 AM.
    01-19-09 03:08 AM
    thats what i noticed... my problems only started after i did a wipe and install. i had NEVER had the 523 error before i did that. i ran .76, .83, .85 and .86 with relatively few issues. now it locks up when i take it out of the holster and gives me frequent 523 errors. i'm pretty close to going back to .75 and i really don't want to.
    01-20-09 06:02 AM
    Every time a new OS is leaked, I see a few people raving about the improvements it has made in their phone. And every time, I start considering upgrading to the newly leaked OS. Then the problems start to trickle in, and I change my mind, and decide to stick with .75. I know that with a device like the Storm, there will never be an OS release that makes every single person's phone 100% reliable, but I'm sticking with my decision to stay with .75 until RIM sees fit to officially release a new update.

Don't think that doesn't mean I'm not watching all of you self induced guinea pigs out there going crazy with testing all of the leaked OS updates. It's fun to watch, but I just don't have the nerve that some of you do!
    01-20-09 06:27 AM
    Keep in mind these leaks are still all betas.
    .75 & .76 are the officials.

A couple rules of thumb when you install an OS onto any BB, whether you wipe first or not.
    Clear out your browser cache, do the same for Opera if you run that.
    Get rid of all old emails and texts that you no longer need.
    Clear out your messenger conversations.
    Do a back up right before the install, then pull your sim card and pull you memory card before you load the new OS.
    With .86, on mine it would not run without the wipe first, no battery life, locked up all over the place.
    01-20-09 06:37 AM
    my suretype always goes to multitap
    01-20-09 08:49 AM
    yeah .86 sucks for me big time. i get media card inserted errors even with the phone just sitting there.

the display randomly doesnt turn off, killing battery bad

the led does in fact go crazy alot

and other weird keyboard and ui issues.

but i am too lazy to downgrade and will wait for .88 from bb397
    My thoughts exactly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 08:53 AM
    my suretype always goes to multitap
    That's a bug that i've seen on all the OS releases that absolutely drives me nuts.
    01-20-09 09:51 AM
    That why people say download at your own risk, its not an offical OS..
    01-20-09 10:50 AM
    I also downgraded to .76 from .86. My phone was running flawlessly on .86 for about 4 days, and I loved it. The only 3rd party apps I have are Opera Mini, StormLock, Autolock, and had Viigo. Then it started acting up:
    -The lock/unlock would not work
    -The screen would not turn off
    -It would freeze
    -Random reboots
    -Super slow operation
    I was hoping for a good OS, but will wait for the official now... For those of you that .86 is working great, I hope it keeps doing that, because I was enjoying it when it "worked."
    01-20-09 11:44 AM
    Its different for everyone. I've had ridiculous memory drain with .86 so I went back down to .75.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD