Hello,

yesterday i received the Storm 2. I was wondering that the notification light is so dark. I had the Curve 8900 before and there the notification led was so light. Than i realize that the led in my Storm is not directly under the "windows". It seems that the led is left beside of the window. The function is right, but the led is very dark... its normal for the Storm 2??? And second question... is there a way to open the storm to fix the led position?

thanks
    05-05-10 04:20 AM
    The LED of the Storm is off-centre, and my guess is that it is because people complained of it being too bright. All my previous Berries had bright, centered LEDs.
    05-05-10 04:42 AM
    Unfortunately it is normal. Choosing the 'bright' colors in BerryBuzz helps drastically. This app is a must have regardless.
    05-05-10 04:46 AM
    Oh yes i have BerryBuzz and i turned all my notifications to bright... ok good to know that its normal! What a pity... i liked the bright light at my Curve.
    05-05-10 04:53 AM
    The LED is off center because the Storm 2 had a proximity sensor now under the window. A major problem with the Storm 1 was it would hang up when pressed to your face while on the phone. Patternlock and other third party apps could lock the keyboard when on a call. Now the proximity sensor does that. Berrybuzz allows you to pick bright settings for the LED which compensates for the offset.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 05:22 AM
    The proximity sensor is NOT under the LED window.

05-05-10 07:21 AM
    The proximity sensor is NOT under the LED window.

Really it's not? I was sure it was. What's the fast / faint blinking red LED when you're on a phonecall in that case?
    05-05-10 07:37 AM
    That's just the LED blinking indicating the prox sensor is active.

Try this: Call your voicemail (or someone who won't think its strange you called them and didn't say anything). While the call is active, place your finger over the LED window without touching the screen. The screen will not go off and will still be clickable.

Next, with the call still active, use the palm of your hand to lightly cover the majority of the screen (basically mimicking your cheek against the screen), but don't cover or touch the LED window. The screen will lock and turn off. This makes sense because if it all depended upon the LED window being covered, making a phone call in the dark would be a challenge.

I'm not a engineer or tech, but it seems the prox sensor is the screen itself which senses touch over a large portion of the screen at the same time and determines its your face. Make sense?

05-05-10 09:17 AM
    I thought the proximity sensor was infrared detection, not the screen itself. What other reason would RIM have for offsetting the LED?
    05-05-10 09:32 AM
    Two reasons I've heard:

1. Complaints of the LED being too bright.

2. To allow the different color Less blend better. Purple actually looks purple. Orange actually looks orange etc. Rather than it looking like two different colored LED lit at the same time.

I don't knor if those are the correct reasons but that's what I've heard.

05-05-10 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD