all you BB gurus out there can you help a newbie? I am having a problem with the battery life on my storm. At first I thought the battery was junk because I would fully charge it at night and leave the house go to work and by 5:00 the battery would be in the red. I made sure that GPS is on 911 only and locate is off. I didnt use the phone except for three calls and it still lost battery life in a day. I went to verizon and they gave me a new battery but still having the same problem, over the weekend the battery life lasted all weekend with only losing 2 bars.

Now 2 things that i am thinking and this is were I need your advise.

1 I was keeping the storm in a generic BB leather holster on my belt. It fits snug when in the holster. can the pressure from the holster keep the screen lit and therefore kill the battery?

2 I work in a steel building and a guy told me that my phone is most likely trying to find service all day and that is killing the battery.

all weekend I was outside with the storm in my pocket not in the holster. and that made the battery last. So what do you think.
    12-02-08 08:09 AM
    I think it's most likely reason # 2. I have the same problem in my bldg. For some reason we get horrible reception on the 50+ fl so everyone's phone tries to search for service all day, which forces everyone to carry a spare charger at their desk. If not by 5pm your phone will be dead.
    12-02-08 08:22 AM
    I agree w/ ^^^^^^^
    The only thing you can do is keep a charger at your desk, get a spara battery, or maybe a car charger. Also - try to make sure that you are closing (manu-close) all of your applications when you're done using them.
    12-02-08 08:25 AM
    I have run into this before myself and yes in a steel building or other restricting service area or even roaming outside normal service areas and such, any phone will try harder to keep signal and the result is heavy battery use. There is nothing you can do other than turn phone radio off. I would make sure I was able to charge phone during the day was my only solution.
    12-02-08 08:25 AM
    buy a spare charger ya cheap arse or like suggested, turn the radio off.
    what firmware are you using .65 or .75? i feel that i've experienced better battery life with .75 but that could very well be because i did battery pull, i am not sure
    12-02-08 08:33 AM
    Same here. I work in many different hospitals and when in the basement I don't get much service. So my phone loses battery life quickly. This happens to all phones, not just BB's.
    12-02-08 08:33 AM
    I work for Comcast . Some of the highrise condos have installed signal amplifiers for their residents for cell use. Simple fact, some of the residents live on floors higher than the signal repeaters in the city.

One building the residents have no choice but to have landline phone service
    12-02-08 08:57 AM
    I think I will have to invent a miracle battery for inside buildings. and yes I'm cheap but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night I'll have to get a second cradle for the desk at work. Thank you all for your advice and wisdom.
    12-02-08 09:12 AM
    We have similiar issues with BBs in our bldg. We need the ability to manage how the units scans for service.
    12-02-08 09:18 AM
    I have found that since i updated to 75 my batt. is a lot better and on top of it my signal were i only had 1 to 2 bars I am now getting 2 to 3 bars. Also it maybe your case. there are magnets in the Authorized BB cases that put the phone in standby. So if you are not using a BB puch this could also be part of your problem and it could be helping drain your batt. as well.

How ever I do agree with the one poster that said that if you are in a weak signal area it drains the phone and yes this is a problem with all cell phones not just BB.
    12-02-08 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD