First off hand... This is not a complaint. Clearly this is me trying to get a consensus of thoughts flowing from people showing simular interest in the matter. So if you have smart comments regarding it, exit now. Thanks.

Moving right along, I'm on the CB main page today, and I'm looking at all of the new productivity apps, like "QuickLaunch", or "VibRing"... and I get to thinking..

Why am I being nickled and dimed over productivity applications?

1. I know there are a lot of developers out there that make profit off the apps they make, congratulations and thanks for the efforts. HOWever... I would think simple stuff like.. having a setting to vibrate and ring at the same time... would be something standard on a cell phone in 2009.

2. Applications that hold more merit, and show more productivity [i.e. Facebook, myspace, viigo], all are free. Yet for a fee, you can get applicaitons that show you the weather and such.. Okay.. I guess we cant change that.. but whatever.. Moving along.

3. The "Theme":. I personally have no problem with it. However.. Its getting dry going from two lines of icons to one, because of wallpapers. I dont know exactly what plazmic has in store, but we've been waiting.. patiently and impatiently. The wait has many considering other options. [Expecting people to be mad and start firing back about this..wait for it...wait for it...]

4. The infamous "Oh.. it should be released [insert faux date]". Maybe its just me, but when I read post like "When is the update to facebook coming".. and NOBODY has an answer to the question in hand, but one person says "well its supposed to be here the end of January" or "be patient". Its January 29th, excuses?

I'm sure there are MORE things that I find to be an issue, but I searched "rant" in the search engine, and found 89 replies to OS updates. Not my concern. I've come to the conclusion I wont download any "leaked" OS after the .75 came out.

Opinions? Objections? Lets all be civil and not carry this thread out of hand. Thanks

Greg.
    Last edited by ClassaN0va; 01-29-09 at 10:30 AM.
    01-29-09 10:27 AM
    Just because you say its not a rant doesn't mean that it isn't one. Sorry.

Could the apps be cheaper or free, yes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 10:30 AM
    Regardless of however you're trying to justify it, this IS a rant and belongs in the Rants and Raves Forum. Please request to have it moved there.

Thank you
    01-29-09 10:32 AM
    Today will be the third full day i've had the storm. Which means it also the third full day i've had a blackberry.

After just three days I am already impatient for new stuff for it. The iPhone didn't get the SDKs for a good couple months after it came out.

All in good time.
    01-29-09 10:33 AM
    Not an issue. I just sent that request. I concur with you.

[Mentioning of FREE apps.. Really I think all of them dont HAVE to be... yet...emphasis on $7 an app....NO.
    01-29-09 10:34 AM
    The following is not a rant :

Oh man I hate this phone my razor was so much cooler rabble rabble rabble!

01-29-09 10:37 AM
    I don't think it really counts as nickel and dimed unless RIM is sitting there producing all the apps and selling them.
    01-29-09 10:48 AM
    here is a rant.. if your gonna b*tch moan and complain about applications then learn to write your own. They'd be free for you and u don't have to wait for others.

they maybe you can give them to us for free.
    01-29-09 10:55 AM
    Funny this guy asked for smart remarks to be kept to their Widely open minded authors, but seems none of you could comprehend that, and still had to prove your own point. He wanted feedback and thoughs, not insults and moronic gestures.

I'm with you on this one. I too am eagerly waiting much to come to this phone as well :-) But, as far as apps costing so much money, all the power to the writers I guess. Only so many out for us so they know they'll be gobbled up, 2 dollars or 10 dollars
    01-29-09 11:01 AM
    I'm not going to judge whether this is a rant or not but regardless, ClassaN0va, you do bring up some good points. This is my first blackberry and don't get me wrong I went to 10 separate Verizon stores Nov 21st to find this phone and then finally got it from Best Buy later that day and I do truly LOVE this phone, BUT from what I've read about Blackberrys in the past such as the Curve or Pearl or even the Bold, the Storm is significantly harder to use simply because of its laggy OS and lack of shortcuts that were available in previous BBs. I know for a fact your all lying if you say you've never gotten so angry you truly thought about going to the verizon store and returning your phone for a curve or something else, but then you come to your senses and realize what you have in your hand has the potential to be the greatest phone till date.
    But it bothers me that sometimes when I'm in a rush I choose to ignore texts because I know it's going to be a very slow process to respond simply because every action on the phone has a 2-3 second delay. It bothers me that it took RIM over a month after launch to finally ship out replacement phones where the screen click was finally not an issue, in my opinion your biggest sales feature about a phone should work from the get go. It bothers me that incredibly useful apps such as weatherbug cause my phone to reset randomly and trapster or nav4all never finds a gps connection or have memory leaks that make your phone significantly harder to use, but it's ok I'm patient I'll wait for the app store and just hope they do a better job with its launch than they did with the phone's.
    And I couldn't agree more with ClassaN0va's claim that every phone, specially the newest and hottest phone to hit the market in the recent years should come with a vib and ring feature built in. That should NOT be a seperate $8 app that you need to buy.
    So as of now... absolutely, we are being nickeled and dimed but I really do believe the cloudy skies of the storm will clear.

My post is definitely a rant.
    01-29-09 11:05 AM
    $8 for vib and ring? I had a Motorola T730 that had vib and ring....for free <<hears gasps>>. Not to bring this phone into light, but I am a die hard VZW man and i love BB products. This is my first and i have found it to ever be so fruitful and practical. But I would love to see this app store that is forthcomming to have lots of free apps, and I will use the name IPHONE.

My phone has been nearly flawless. It freezes no more thant my moto Q. I do miss the task manageer tho. But i'm 110% behind you classanova!
    01-29-09 11:10 AM
    First off hand... This is not a complaint. Clearly this is me trying to get a consensus of thoughts flowing from people showing simular interest in the matter. So if you have smart comments regarding it, exit now. Thanks.

Moving right along, I'm on the CB main page today, and I'm looking at all of the new productivity apps, like "QuickLaunch", or "VibRing"... and I get to thinking..

Why am I being nickled and dimed over productivity applications?

1. I know there are a lot of developers out there that make profit off the apps they make, congratulations and thanks for the efforts. HOWever... I would think simple stuff like.. having a setting to vibrate and ring at the same time... would be something standard on a cell phone in 2009.

2. Applications that hold more merit, and show more productivity [i.e. Facebook, myspace, viigo], all are free. Yet for a fee, you can get applicaitons that show you the weather and such.. Okay.. I guess we cant change that.. but whatever.. Moving along.

3. The "Theme":. I personally have no problem with it. However.. Its getting dry going from two lines of icons to one, because of wallpapers. I dont know exactly what plazmic has in store, but we've been waiting.. patiently and impatiently. The wait has many considering other options. [Expecting people to be mad and start firing back about this..wait for it...wait for it...]

4. The infamous "Oh.. it should be released [insert faux date]". Maybe its just me, but when I read post like "When is the update to facebook coming".. and NOBODY has an answer to the question in hand, but one person says "well its supposed to be here the end of January" or "be patient". Its January 29th, excuses?

I'm sure there are MORE things that I find to be an issue, but I searched "rant" in the search engine, and found 89 replies to OS updates. Not my concern. I've come to the conclusion I wont download any "leaked" OS after the .75 came out.

Opinions? Objections? Lets all be civil and not carry this thread out of hand. Thanks

Greg.

1) I think its healthy that developers charge for applications because it creates demand and opens up a new lane for competition. like VibAndRing and now we have BuzzME which is free.

2) these free applications you speak of...Facebook...Myspace...These are multibillion dollar companies that can easily spend thousands of dollars to have people develop applications for the blackberry platform. Not everyone can afford such things. thus they charge for there applications.

3) Themes are a luxury not a necessity. not trying to compare here, but you can't even get themes on the iphone unless you jailbreak it. So themes will be coming, its just a matter of time.

4) some people are just stupid and will say anything
    01-29-09 11:11 AM
    1) I think its healthy that developers charge for applications because it creates demand and opens up a new lane for competition. like VibAndRing and now we have BuzzME which is free.

2) these free applications you speak of...Facebook...Myspace...These are multibillion dollar companies that can easily spend thousands of dollars to have people develop applications for the blackberry platform. Not everyone can afford such things. thus they charge for there applications.

3) Themes are a luxury not a necessity. not trying to compare here, but you can't even get themes on the iphone unless you jailbreak it. So themes will be coming, its just a matter of time.

In all due respect, I respect you breaking that down for me and speaking like a grown man without the excessive cursing and tangent like "alpino001" did.
    01-29-09 12:52 PM

Oh wise master, I kneel to your wisdom
    .................................................. ............................
    People it's called capitalism...you make it, we buy it

I do think that a little more support would be great but good things will come to those who wait. This phone in six months time is going to be the Iphone killer everyone has raved about...and personally I think I can wait for that. I just like having a phone that I can do more than call, text, and download ringtones on. Can't people be greatful for what they are holding in their hands and not be so greedy...I want I want I want...

since when did this turn into the U S of Me?

Anyone who got this phone thinking it was going to be a perfect piece of machinery right out of the box was an ignorant consumer.
    01-29-09 01:10 PM
    My biggest regret on the software side is that I have to buy apps that perform functions that should have been obvious to RIM.

It never fails to amaze me, the lack of common sense applied to programing and interface design. I appreciate third party developers that step up to fill the gaps in usability, but that doesn't absolve RIM for sloppy/shortsighted design.

01-29-09 01:21 PM
    I think the App Store is RIM's way of standardizing the market for BB Apps. It's not just coming to the Storm ya know. They may see that $8 for vib and ring is too much so they get the developer to put it in the App Store for $2 but at the same time guarantee a customer base and product visibility with the amount of phones that the App Store should be pushed to. Hopefully we will see a change this spring when it finally gets here!
    01-29-09 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD