After some tense months of waiting I eventually got my Storm today and to make a long story short, found it so far a major disappointment! It is to my mind such a letdown that I seriously consider to return it in a few days. I don't wanna make an overhasty judgement but the first day using it sucked. Maybe I have to concede that I might be preoccupied cause I love my Bold so much and don't wanna see it go but here's my point: the bb 9000 that i got so used to for merely 2 months til today gets me everywhere so much quicker. Yet after hours it takes me nerve-racking >minutes< to type emails only due to the sheer mistyping that occurs automatically.. then one tries to correct his mistakes and you tell me how to get this stupid thingy in front or behind a letter, a word or right in the middle of something without having to try for another precious minutes. Also I don't think that I have to brush up on anything if it comes to typing..
    As nice as the video playback resolution is, the player was way better on the bold.. it is nearly impossible to fast-forward in a way that doesn't pull your leg, you can't jump to precise seconds like you could with the trackball. All I'm saying is, it takes/took me a few seconds to hammer something into the Bold, save or send it and have it flying back into my pocket or its holster. Now it takes seconds until the keyboard is all loaded, then the damn thing flips around thanks to the accelerometer and everything goes awry. I'm not implying or asserting that RIM created a bad phone, the device itself is fairly sophisticated and cutting-edge, lets put it that way: it's more of a toy than a snappy business phone. Clearly my bold is in favor, but the Storm has some upsides.. the screen is nice and big and.. oh wait a minute, that and the storm-customized data plan are the only advantages that i have so far I guess it's different strokes for different folks... the Storm is not the big-shot I expected, it simply doesn't fit my bill. Since I cannot run around with two phones (or can I?), I'll still give it a shot, put it through their paces and see how it performs for a week before I pronounce a sentence. Anyone else stuck in a tight spot like me? Gosh, I have real problems ;-)

PS: The sytem is rather sluggish!

Edit November 20th by courtesy of Storm2 :

Hi Fana,
    Just want to let you know you can touch on the screen (not a click, just touch the surface) and wait until the blue cursor to turn into a black rectangle, then you can move that cursor to the position you need. Please update your post to include this tip if you find it helpful.

Thanks,

Storm2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Fana05; 11-20-08 at 06:49 AM.
    11-17-08 04:38 PM
    This is some disappointing news, but I think that Verizon is supposed to have another update to the OS this friday on the day of its release. Maybe just another software upgrade will fix the issue? As well as not being used to a touch phone?
    11-17-08 04:43 PM
    Don't mean to contradict you, but your the first person I have heard say that... Maybe you got a bad one?
    11-17-08 04:47 PM
    After some tense months of waiting I eventually got my Storm today and to make a long story short, found it so far a major disappointment! It is to my mind such a letdown that I seriously consider to return it in a few days. I don't wanna make an overhasty judgement but the first day using it sucked. Maybe I have to concede that I might be preoccupied cause I love my Bold so much and don't wanna see it go but here's my point: the bb 9000 that i got so used to for merely 2 months til today gets me everywhere so much quicker. Yet after hours it takes me nerve-racking >minutes< to type emails only due to the sheer mistyping that occurs automatically.. then one tries to correct his mistakes and you tell me how to get this stupid thingy in front or behind a letter, a word or right in the middle of something without having to try for another precious minutes. Also I don't think that I have to brush up on anything if it comes to typing..
    As nice as the video playback resolution is, the player was way better on the bold.. it is nearly impossible to fast-forward in a way that doesn't pull your leg, you can't jump to precise seconds like you could with the trackball. All I'm saying is, it takes/took me a few seconds to hammer something into the Bold, save or send it and have it flying back into my pocket or its holster. Now it takes seconds until the keyboard is all loaded, then the damn thing flips around thanks to the accelerometer and everything goes awry. I'm not implying or asserting that RIM created a bad phone, the device itself is fairly sophisticated and cutting-edge, lets put it that way: it's more of a toy than a snappy business phone. Clearly my bold is in favor, but the Storm has some upsides.. the screen is nice and big and.. oh wait a minute, that and the storm-customized data plan are the only advantages that i have so far I guess it's different strokes for different people... the Storm is not the big-shot I expected, it simply doesn't fit my bill. Since I cannot run around with two phones (or can I?), I'll still give it a shot, put it through their paces and see how it performs for a week before I pronounce a sentence. Anyone else stuck in a tight spot like me? Gosh, I have real problems ;-)

i got my storm today aswell! i am missing my bold already!
    as much as i want the storm to succeed, it is not upto standard of what it should be! my major problems are with the screen not responding from landscape and potrait!
    11-17-08 04:53 PM
    So are you saying that the Storm is a disappointing phone?, or disappointing compared to your Bold? What if you never/didn't own a Bold?? Same review, or would it sound different?
    11-17-08 05:01 PM
    I've been using the Storm since Saturday and initially I a lot of problems using the keyboard until i changed a setting for Key Rate - Fast in Options - Screen / keyboard.

Now I can type better, but what I figured out is that you can't compare it to the bold. The Bold is a Serious business phone with little or no compromises. The Storm is a business phone that also lets you have fun with a large screen. Unfortunately there is a lot of compromise to solid business functionality.

I suppose what you need to ask yourself is that are you willing to accept the compromise ? Your not going to be able to type as quick as the bold and your not going to be able to use the trillions of short cuts or a easy to use UI, but, your are getting the bigger screen, better browsing experience and emails just look lovely (admit it).

I would suggest you lock your bold up. DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT. Then use this device for a few days and then think what can you compromise because with both of these devices there is a compromise.

p.s. With some OS updates it should be less sluggish.
    Last edited by Ash_786; 11-17-08 at 05:20 PM.
    11-17-08 05:11 PM
    So are you saying that the Storm is a disappointing phone?, or disappointing compared to your Bold? What if you never/didn't own a Bold?? Same review, or would it sound different?
    i still wouldnt be happy if i never owned a bold! i expected the storm to be as fast or quicker then the bold, and it lacks behind quite a lot!

sometimes it works fine and sometimes it just lags especially changing form landscape to potrait, ive noticed when im searching for signal it doesnt work as smooth?!

the phone however is amazing and i want to give it longer, the click screen is amazing i think, and is superior to the iphone in that way!

just atm, its being unreliable sometimes it is working fine, then suddenly the bugger wont change from potrait screen to landscape of vice-versa!
    11-17-08 05:19 PM
    I've been using the Storm since Saturday and initially I a lot of problems using the keyboard until i changed a setting for Key Rate - Fast in Options - Screen / keyboard.

Now I can type better, but what I figured out is that you can't compare it to the bold. The Bold is a Serious business phone with little or no compromises. The Storm is a business phone that also lets you have fun with a large screen. Unfortunately there is a lot of compromise to solid business functionality.

I suppose what you need to ask yourself is that are you willing to accept the compromise ? Your not going to be able to type as quick as the bold and your not going to be able to use the trillions of short cuts or a easy to use UI, but, your are getting the bigger screen, better browsing experience and emails just look lovely (admit it).

I would suggest you lock your bold up. DON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT. Then use this device for a few days and then think what can you compromise because with both of these devices there is a compromise.

p.s. With some OS updates it should be less sluggish.
    wise words !
    i dont understand the key rate what does it change exacly ?
    11-17-08 05:21 PM
    I think it spends less time highlighting in blue letters that you have typed on the keyboard, enabling you to type faster. Not 100% sure of this, but it has helped me.
    11-17-08 05:26 PM
    I think it spends less time highlighting in blue letters that you have typed on the keyboard, enabling you to type faster. Not 100% sure of this, but it has helped me.
    just tried it, it did do something im not sure what but i seemed to be quicker!

1 quick question, sometimes when you are on the menu and u try to change from potrait to landscape or vice-versa, sometimes does it not change?
    11-17-08 05:31 PM
    So essentially they still haven't fixed the laggy OS.

That was the problem a little over a month ago and everyone kept saying wait for the final release and here we are at final release and still same problem. Now its "oh there will be an update when its released."
    then the April 09 OS updates will start circulating. I just wish they would get the phone right already.

Maybe they rushed the phone out?

Last edited by cereal killer; 11-17-08 at 05:35 PM.
    11-17-08 05:32 PM
    lets be honest here for a minute, i have an 8830 and i have buku problems with it slowing down when i send a lot of txts, and bberry msgr has major java errors when you send a lot of msgs...my phone crashes all the time and has MANY issues, and dont say "maybe you just need a new one" this is my 6th 8830 and they have ALL done the same stuff...im just sayin, i dont expect the 9530 to be flawless....

the typing on the other hand i am worried about, i have gotten extremely proficient at typing on my 8830 keyboard without even looking and i KNOW this wont happen on the storm, but maybe thats ok...itll stop me from texting and driving!

heres my question, i ABSOLUTELY hate typing on my ipod touch, i have tried to take it to the gym with me and take notes on stuff and i just cant do it, it makes me want to break stuff. is the storm gonna make me wanna break stuff?
    11-17-08 05:34 PM
    I think that there will be a lot of people who will initiallly be put off when they begin to use the Storm. It is a very different animal and takes some getting used to. Settings such as keyrate and sceeen sensitivity are vital and unknown right now.

Time will tell with this phone but it is right up against the iPhone. Even the dumbest journalist can see the two phones side by side and work out that neother has a keyboard. And, journalists are dumb, really dumb.

This phone has to work. More than anything else, RIM's rep is resting on the Storm and it was not intentional on RIM's part. It just happened.
    Have you guys tried a battery pull?
    Well, at least now we all know why all the people that got their Storm on Friday are so quiet and didn't post much input over the weekend.

They slit their wrists over the weekend... lol
    11-17-08 05:35 PM
    Thank goodness for OS updates ay?
    Last edited by LetMeClearMyThroat; 11-17-08 at 05:38 PM.
    11-17-08 05:36 PM
    I agree with Ash. The Bold is a serious business phone. The Storm is also a business phone with lots of fun elements. I love the screen on the Storm and now when I pick up my Bold, i try and click the screen The Bold screen blew me away but the Storm screen is twice the size. I love it and I'm keeping it. Just really scared to give up my Bold specially as I wont get as much as I want for it.
    11-17-08 05:39 PM
    Well, at least now we all know why all the people that got their Storm on Friday are so quiet and didn't post much input over the weekend.

Hahahahahaha

11-17-08 05:39 PM
    ughhh...so excited for Friday and all these bad reviews are making me worry. I put my verizon XV6800 on ebay a couple days ago and think I have to take it off just in case now...wtf
    11-17-08 05:49 PM
    heres my question, i ABSOLUTELY hate typing on my ipod touch, i have tried to take it to the gym with me and take notes on stuff and i just cant do it, it makes me want to break stuff. is the storm gonna make me wanna break stuff?
    I already hate typing on the Storm!!!! I used to have a Curve, then got the bold .. with both phones i'd pull 'em out quickly, write down quotes or stuff to remember later for reminder and it was but convenient. On a normal day, I ended up having up to 20 reminders so i don't get stuff mixed up and it took me no time to assign them, tried that today - fail.
    Well as aforementioned, I'll give it a shot but if it keeps letting me down I'mma fly off the handle. Tomorrow it'll be my company on my commute ... I adjusted the typing rate too but oftentimes it gets really laggy and jerky. The only time the Bold let me down was when I woke up myself at 10 am after the alarm hadn't gone off looking over to a smirking white screen on my nightstand saying "Application Error - Reset"

11-17-08 05:51 PM

There was no slitting of wrists. There was playing, watching and drooling and holding and touching and clicking and just getting to know this new and gorgeous creature.

You might feel the same about it one day, in the meantime, enjoy your phone, whatever you have.
    11-17-08 05:53 PM
    ughhh...so excited for Friday and all these bad reviews are making me worry. I put my verizon XV6800 on ebay a couple days ago and think I have to take it off just in case now...wtf
    I know the feeling. I was all ready to get one Friday. But now I may wait and see what the early adopters have to say before taking the plunge. I have until December 4 to return my Pearl and change phones using my NE2.

WCK
    11-17-08 05:56 PM
    it will be fine and cereal killer ... its not the final release.... for them it is not for verizon. also, yah so we wait 2 weeks for an upgrade o well it will be fine.. also the last person most have talked to that have used the storm for verizon are saying it has version .80 on it so that compaired to .65 will be night and day
    11-17-08 06:04 PM
    Why would you compare a touch screen device with a real keyboard, have you used an iphone before? You need to compare Storm with a touch screen device.
    Regarding the sluggish issue, a few ppl have found some tweaks, including removing the vodaphone apps, which consumes quite some CPU at the background.
    Again, you'll get SW updates soon to address the sluggish issues, like the Bold, which was released with a problematic OS.

I already hate typing on the Storm!!!! I used to have a Curve, then got the bold .. with both phones i'd pull 'em out quickly, write down quotes or stuff to remember later for reminder and it was but convenient. On a normal day, I ended up having up to 20 reminders so i don't get stuff mixed up and it took me no time to assign them, tried that today - fail.
    Well as aforementioned, I'll give it a shot but if it keeps letting me down I'mma fly off the handle. Tomorrow it'll be my company on my commute ... I adjusted the typing rate too but oftentimes it gets really laggy and jerky. The only time the Bold let me down was when I woke up myself at 10 am after the alarm hadn't gone off looking over to a smirking white screen on my nightstand saying "Application Error - Reset"

11-17-08 06:31 PM
    Fana05-"The only time the Bold let me down was when I woke up myself at 10 am after the alarm hadn't gone off looking over to a smirking white screen on my nightstand saying "Application Error - Reset"

I really laughed at this one. I'm sorry to hear that, but you gotta admit...that Sh*t is funny.
    11-17-08 07:11 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD