I can't get it to update,

says:
    "Not enough available memory to complete upgrade.
    Delete 2.9MB of personal data and then resume upgrade"

I don't even have any music on the phone
    I deleted one (2mb) video I took, several photo's (4-500K each), and the babalon AD pre-loaded vid (I think it was like 17MB itself)

under "Options"
    "Memory"
    it says :
    Application memory free : 1.1mb
    Device Memory
    Total space: 879.2MB
    Free Space: 874.7mb
    Media Card
    Total Space: 7.3GB
    Free Space: 7.3GB
    Last edited by KrautBurner; 12-11-08 at 08:11 AM. Reason: supscribing to thread
    12-11-08 08:10 AM
    do a battery pull and you will be fine.
    12-11-08 08:13 AM
    I just tried again,
    it now says to delete 4.3MB of personal data

Edit:
    I posted this before I saw the reply about the battery

I'll try that now
    12-11-08 08:13 AM
    The memory that it is speaking of isn't the same as your physical storage memory. Think of it as the RAM in your computer. Power off the phone and pull the battery, then reboot and you'll be fine.
    12-11-08 08:15 AM
    The memory that it is speaking of isn't the same as your physical storage memory. Think of it as the RAM in your computer. Power off the phone and pull the battery, then reboot and you'll be fine.

ahh.....

btw,
    what's the difference in power down and full power down?

neither do a long reboot like pulling the battery
    12-11-08 08:17 AM
    I deleted my Verizon Music thingee (I never intended on buying music from it anyway) once I did that, it started the upgrade with no problem. Once the upgrade was finished, the Verizon Music thingee (as I'm sure it will be affectionately called for the remainder of this thread, lol) was back! So try that.
    12-11-08 08:19 AM
    I deleted my Verizon Music thingee (I never intended on buying music from it anyway) once I did that, it started the upgrade with no problem. Once the upgrade was finished, the Verizon Music thingee (as I'm sure it will be affectionately called for the remainder of this thread, lol) was back! So try that.
    I just started the download after a batterey pull (reboot)
    I;ll consider more deleting if I have to
    12-11-08 08:21 AM
    it seems to be working,

60 seconds into the Elapsed time and I'm 69% into the backup progress
    12-11-08 08:22 AM
    battery pulls work well to reboot everything....
    there is an app that does the same thing, although i am yet to get it to work on my storm. check out the apps thread.
    12-11-08 08:23 AM
    12-11-08 08:35 AM
    Damn you RIM for only putting 128MB of application memory in this phone!!!
    12-11-08 08:39 AM
    thanks,

I will look into that later.
    the phone seems to be doing it's own thing now.

it just finished "Linking Java"

1.5min into the "Overall Restore Progress and it's at 40%
    Last edited by KrautBurner; 12-11-08 at 08:45 AM.
    12-11-08 08:43 AM
    it just told me it's complete

right about 20 min over the air in downtown Seattle
    12-11-08 08:48 AM
    Damn you RIM for only putting 128MB of application memory in this phone!!!
    JR, are you ever happy with your phone? J/K. Does seem odd they put 128MB in the Bold and Storm, yet 256MB in the Curve 8900......glad I am getting the Curve!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 08:49 AM
    JR, are you ever happy with your phone?
    I would be if RIM would get their head out of their *** once in a while.

What kind of an ***** only puts in 128MB of app memory in a phone that's supposed to spearhead their app store, be a multi-media intensive device, and for the first time support OTA OS updates?
    12-11-08 08:58 AM
    There is a BAD memory leak in .65 which causes this problems, the steps I outline in that post I referenced will free up the memory, BUT you should not have to do that. .75 helps and .76 helps even more, BUT even with .76 the leak is still there. RIM needs to fix this, which they probably will do with future revisions. I hear a version .8X (maybe .85??) will be out in a few weeks which will hopefully help even more.

As early adopters this is just part of the game. We are sorta like beta testers.
    12-11-08 08:58 AM
    They've been trying to fix memory leaks in OS4.5 for 8xxx devices for almost a year. To date, that still hasn't happened. What they need to do is pile on the memory in these devices and be done with it. This is one thing the iPhone has on EVERY single other smartphone on the market. A non-limitation to how much of its memory it can use for apps and system files. The dumbass who decided to only put in 128MB of memory in this phone should be fired!!!
    12-11-08 09:02 AM
    battery pulls work well to reboot everything....
    there is an app that does the same thing, although i am yet to get it to work on my storm. check out the apps thread.
    Dang, I still can't post a link. You can find the app in the BB Software Roundup for November 28; it's called QuickPull.
    12-11-08 09:09 AM
    Dang, I still can't post a link. You can find the app in the BB Software Roundup for November 28; it's called QuickPull.
    What you are refering to is a BB program that simulates a battery pull, I have not tried Quickpull, but Softreset works GREAT for me. You should be able to find both programs in the OTA Apps thread with is stickied at the top of the Forum.

EDIT: On your next post the link posting restriction will be lifted. Link posting kicks in at 10 posts I believe. :0
    Last edited by pkcable; 12-11-08 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added info -pk
    12-11-08 09:24 AM
    I removed the battery, restarted my device but no luck. It still says that there is no space available in the memory , while my "DEVICE MEMORY" has 848 MB available
    06-01-09 11:36 AM
    Mines stuck at 37% , 12MB remaining. I am downloading it OTA. Any suggestions? For some reason, the update wasn't showing up in the Desktop Manager.
    06-01-09 12:10 PM
    This thread is crazy old. Why not just start a new one lol.

06-01-09 12:19 PM
    I removed the battery, restarted my device but no luck. It still says that there is no space available in the memory , while my "DEVICE MEMORY" has 848 MB available
    What 3rd party apps do you have installed?

06-01-09 12:21 PM
    I don't have that many.
    Bloomberg
    AP news
    Viingo
    Gmail
    Google maps
    Google talk
    and some themes.

I get the same error every time I try to download and install an application. It prompts me to delete some of the existing ones in order to free up some space but I don't have that many. I know friends that have twice as many as I do.
    06-01-09 02:51 PM
    I had this problem, but I had to delete some third party apps to get the space. Just make sure you back up your apps. Do a search because someone else explained the procedures and I know it works.
    06-01-09 05:17 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD