Well, I've had my new Storm for about one day and I have to say that so far, I really like it. I'm a rank beginner when it comes to technology, but so far Verizon and this Discussion Board has my back!

A few issues right out of the box...VERY slow accelerometer (sp), very slow transition between menu items, and phone kept shutting itself off.

Based on some reading I did here, I found out how to delete apps, so I deleted "visual voice mail" whatever that is, and Verizon's music service, as well as the GPS program.

This took me from 20 mb of ram to 38, not bad for a rookie, as I patted myself on the back...Unfortunately, I patted too soon. Read on....

Next issue was the phone turning itself off, and THEN the Desk top manager failed to recognize my device. So, I did a battery pull (another thing I learned from you guys and gals) and de-installed DTM. The de-install did not work-the device still would not recognize the Desk top manager, so I did another de-install this time using the CD that came with the phone...

Presto! I was able to call up the DTM and synch the phone to my Outlook and email accounts....

The phone deciding when it wanted to run and did not want to run was beyond my pay grade so I called Verizon. The tech told me I had a corruption in a file. (I hate when that happens...) They walked me through a "wipe" of the system. Problem solved!

So, as of right now, I have a fully functioning Storm. Now I just gotta personalize it a bit for me and learn how to actually use it!

Cheers,
    Steve in So Cal

ps-both Vzn techs I spoke with told me an up-dated OS is in "Testing" even as we speak. We'll see....
    05-05-09 05:24 PM
    Welcome to the addiction.

Keep reading and you'll eventually want to try one of the leaked builds. They make the Storm far more responsive and less cumbersome. And as you've already seen, it's fairly simple to return to the original OS when needed.

Enjoy.
    05-05-09 05:37 PM
    It's an awesome phone and welcome to the world of the Storm.

Do yourself a favor and don't listen to VzW techs, representatives, almost anybody in this forum (with a couple of exceptions) and anything you read in magazines or online blogs.

Nobody has credible proof that a new official OS is near ready or when it will be released at all.

Ask for proof when same is suggested and watch 'em scamper!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 05:44 PM
    The Storm is nothing more than a toy, so I could see a novice loving it.
    05-05-09 06:06 PM
    If you think the storm is a toy , then your a more of a tool then the iphone .
    05-05-09 06:58 PM
    Really, RC? Resorting to trying to turn iPhone bashes against the Storm crowd? You're that unoriginal?

If you're going to troll, either do it better, or ffs lurk moar.
    05-05-09 08:28 PM
    I liked my storm too after I first got it. After having it for almost 5 months I'm not so sure anymore. I bought the phone knowing/hoping that it would eventually improve (RIM/verizon are you serious with no official update since .75!?). Ive had almost every leak on this thing and while you might take one step ahead somewhere, you are taking two steps back somewhere else. The leaks don't have anything that will blow your mind, so I cant imagine a "gold code" OS coming out anytime soon, or at all. Seeing as the storm 2 is already in the works, RIM will try to brush the 1st gen under the rug which might not be a bad place for this phone. I could go on, maybe in the rant section though lol.
    Anyways enjoy your phone!
    05-05-09 08:36 PM
    I'm begining to see the light at the end of the tunnel
    05-05-09 08:37 PM
    But the Storm is a toy. It's not a phone that's geared at the corporate user like past BBs. It's geared toward the exact same audience that the iPhone is geared toward. Sure, it can do all of the business functions other BB models can, but it's really not suited for that.
    05-05-09 08:41 PM
    But the Storm is a toy. It's not a phone that's geared at the corporate user like past BBs. It's geared toward the exact same audience that the iPhone is geared toward. Sure, it can do all of the business functions other BB models can, but it's really not suited for that.
    Disagree 100% , it does everything all other blackberrys do and more... your telling me there isnt someone that is in business that wouldnt like having music or videos on the phone ?
    05-05-09 09:15 PM
    Welcome and good luck.
    05-05-09 09:24 PM
    There is a ton of useful info over in the tip,tricks,etc forum. Welcome, and enjoy your storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 09:38 AM
    A few issues right out of the box...VERY slow accelerometer (sp), very slow transition between menu items, and phone kept shutting itself off.

Next issue was the phone turning itself off, and THEN the Desk top manager failed to recognize my device. So, I did a battery pull (another thing I learned from you guys and gals) and de-installed DTM. The de-install did not work-the device still would not recognize the Desk top manager, so I did another de-install this time using the CD that came with the phone...

The phone deciding when it wanted to run and did not want to run was beyond my pay grade so I called Verizon. The tech told me I had a corruption in a file. (I hate when that happens...) They walked me through a "wipe" of the system. Problem solved!
    That was hilarious! All in the first day right out the box. It's a shame so many have to go through so much to get the device running correctly out the box. LOL.
    05-06-09 09:48 AM
    Why are you people always hijacking posts and turning them into iPhone threads? What is the obsession with the iPhone?
    05-06-09 10:00 AM
    That was hilarious! All in the first day right out the box. It's a shame so many have to go through so much to get the device running correctly out the box. LOL.
    The difference is that the OP didn't whine or cry about it. He researched and troubleshooted the phone on his own, unlike many people I deal with on a daily basis when they leave a floppy disc in the drive and complain that their computer isn't booting.

The fact that the OP admitted to being a "Beginner" is enough to eliminate many unwarranted excuses about this phone or any new device coming down the pipe. Stop being babies and do the research like responsible adults we are supposed to be. If you're not able to handle the problems with the phone, 1, don't cry about it, 2 take it back to the store and get something that suits your needs. It's really that simple.
    05-06-09 10:03 AM

Don't stick your fingers in the troll cage honey.......

Welcome and it is a sweet device; nice mp3 player as well.
    Go and check out the 3rd party app thread/forum.
    U will find some good stuff there..................
    Now drink the Kool Aid of the Berry and be off to new and wonderus adventure.
    05-06-09 10:14 AM
    The difference is that the OP didn't whine or cry about it. He researched and troubleshooted the phone on his own, unlike many people I deal with on a daily basis when they leave a floppy disc in the drive and complain that their computer isn't booting.

The fact that the OP admitted to being a "Beginner" is enough to eliminate many unwarranted excuses about this phone or any new device coming down the pipe. Stop being babies and do the research like responsible adults we are supposed to be. If you're not able to handle the problems with the phone, 1, don't cry about it, 2 take it back to the store and get something that suits your needs. It's really that simple.
    Ok kudos to him for not whining and having to do all those things to make it work out the box. They should feel proud that they fixed it and embarrassed that they had to fix it day 1. LOL.
    05-06-09 10:17 AM
    Ok kudos to him for not whining and having to do all those things to make it work out the box. They should feel proud that they fixed it and embarrassed that they had to fix it day 1. LOL.
    Yeah just like u have to jailbreak yours to get it to do all that my Storm can.................
    05-06-09 10:23 AM
    Embarrased? You're kidding right. How about a spark of Confidence for the OP, especially if he's a newcomer to the phone or Blackberries period, just like myself.

Did I have a perfect phone out the box? Nope. Constant Reboots, lagging, the whole nine. Did I complain? No, because I made a decision to buy the phone and KNEW what I was expecting. I did my research and found leaked OS's and have been happy with the phone since I updated to 113, and 132.

Folks are quick to judge and cry wolf in this day and age and expect some type of entitlement for their lack of knowledge and decision making. That's the real problem with devices these days, spoiled users.
    05-06-09 10:26 AM
    Yeah just like u have to jailbreak yours to get it to do all that my Storm can.................
    Another Storm user deflecting attention to the iPhone. Ummmm would have thunk it. I haven't jailbroken mine and I do pretty well. Would I like the other features, **** yeah but even without it, it still blows the Storm away. At least I don't need a leaked OS to make my screen rotate or for it to actually unlock when I click the screen that I need to put a business card behind the battery so it would click right. Just like VZW users can do without WiFi I can do without MMS.

I wonder what your argument will be when 3.0 comes out. At least I know it's coming and I know what it will do. You will have to hope and pray VZW comes out with something to make the your phone work right. Take care buddy.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-06-09 at 11:55 AM.
    05-06-09 11:45 AM
    Embarrased? You're kidding right. How about a spark of Confidence for the OP, especially if he's a newcomer to the phone or Blackberries period, just like myself.

Did I have a perfect phone out the box? Nope. Constant Reboots, lagging, the whole nine. Did I complain? No, because I made a decision to buy the phone and KNEW what I was expecting. I did my research and found leaked OS's and have been happy with the phone since I updated to 113, and 132.

Folks are quick to judge and cry wolf in this day and age and expect some type of entitlement for their lack of knowledge and decision making. That's the real problem with devices these days, spoiled users.
    Yeah shame on those who complained for having to do so much to make a device work right out the box. What nerve they must have for having a buggy device that they paid their hard earned money for.

Lack of knowledge and decision making? LOL. Yeah like RIM is going to tell you that your phone may reboot by itself or you will have to do a battery pull to get more memory. Where is that in the manual. It's great that the OP came here to find out what he can do to make the device better. But what about people who don't know about CB (you do know everyone that has a blackberry in the world is not on CB?). No one should have to go through all that for ANY device right out the box. Regardless of how you rationalize. I opened my new shiny new Bold hooked up it to sync took less than 5 mins. Same thing with my iPhone. No searching forums to see why my phone keeps rebooting or having calling tech support or looking for a better OS. So you can rationalize all you. I know you are in love with your device and can't imagine your life without it. That's great, but everyone does not feel like you do.
    05-06-09 11:50 AM
    Just like you feel the gratification of trying your hardest to look for reasons to Troll through a thread to make you feel bigger? Do you do this in Windows Vs Mac forums too? (In my Stewie Griffin Voice), do you trolllll around Windows sites complaining about how people have to remove Crapware from their new computers after they purchase them (voice gets higher), do you feel satisfied when you find your rationale to make remarks against a positive experience with any device (higher)?

Phones are not investments. Cars, Property, Homes, Businsess, Education, those are investments. I don't see people complaining about not getting a 4.0 GPA due to a lack of Effort and wanting their money back, or do you?

Grow up, the world is not a Utopia. If you're happy with your phone, fine. Does the world need to know I had a great day yesterday as well, noooo.
    05-06-09 12:03 PM
    Just like you feel the gratification of trying your hardest to look for reasons to Troll through a thread to make you feel bigger? Do you do this in Windows Vs Mac forums too? (In my Stewie Griffin Voice), do you trolllll around Windows sites complaining about how people have to remove Crapware from their new computers after they purchase them (voice gets higher), do you feel satisfied when you find your rationale to make remarks against a positive experience with any device (higher)?

Phones are not investments. Cars, Property, Homes, Businsess, Education, those are investments. I don't see people complaining about not getting a 4.0 GPA due to a lack of Effort and wanting their money back, or do you?

Grow up, the world is not a Utopia. If you're happy with your phone, fine. Does the world need to know I had a great day yesterday as well, noooo.
    You're new around here, so I'll have to forgive you. But check out the site and forums more before you start to say idiotic things. You want to give him props, cool. I want to laguh at the idea of having to do all that, that's cool too. We're not going to sit around and try to rationlize someone feelings toward a device. I've been around here long enough to know there's no point. If you don't like what I said, so the F what. If I don't like what you said, so the F what. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. I've been around here long enough to know that people are going to say what they want, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE IN THR RAVES AND RANTS FORUMS. Son, get 20 posts before you say something to me.
    05-06-09 12:51 PM
    Well if you've been around here that long then wisdom should've kicked in and told you to not to bother posting if you're just gonna repeat the same thing so many times, SON. That's simply called monotonous boredom if you ask me.

Rotten Milk stays rotten no matter how many times you smell it. Catch my drift?
    05-06-09 12:56 PM
    Well if you've been around here that long then wisdom should've kicked in and told you to not to bother posting if you're just gonna repeat the same thing so many times, SON. That's simply called monotonous boredom if you ask me.

Rotten Milk stays rotten no matter how many times you smell it. Catch my drift?
    Ummmm if you start talking like an *** then I'm going to let you know. If I found something laughable and you get a sensitive about it and take the conversation somewhere, then we're going to talk. If you don't want me to respond then don't say anything. Like I said, if you don't like something someone says in THE RANT SECTION then either keep it moving or expect a response. Sometimes you have to repeat yourself because new asses arise and they need to be caught up to speed.
    05-06-09 01:04 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD