Hi everyone! I just got my first BlackBerry 4 days ago (9530). I gotta say this site is amazing. I consider myself pretty tech smart but being a noob there are some things I just don't know. I already figured out the OS upgrade. I'm currently at .75> .148> Lyricidal's .148/5.0/.93 hybrid.

The first question I have is the radio. I think I've figured out that it has to do with signal reception. I have dl'd Lyricidal's swap-a-radio so my question is which is the best one to use?

Second question is everyone talking about their mb's at startup. Where can I see this?

Last question I have atm is OS. I would like to stick with a hybrid. I was in love when I installed Lyricidal's hybrid. But I have noticed that there are 2-3 different hybrids (One of a Kind PC, BBCrackman) so my question is, which one is the best?
    05-30-09 10:47 PM
    I cant speak for any of those hybrids, as I would never use them in a production environment, but OS .148 is very good. So I suggest you try the full OS first, and see how it works.
    05-30-09 10:48 PM
    Hi everyone! I just got my first BlackBerry 4 days ago (9530). I gotta say this site is amazing. I consider myself pretty tech smart but being a noob there are some things I just don't know. I already figured out the OS upgrade. I'm currently at .75> .148> Lyricidal's .148/5.0/.93 hybrid.

The first question I have is the radio. I think I've figured out that it has to do with signal reception. I have dl'd Lyricidal's swap-a-radio so my question is which is the best one to use?

Second question is everyone talking about their mb's at startup. Where can I see this?

Last question I have atm is OS. I would like to stick with a hybrid. I was in love when I installed Lyricidal's hybrid. But I have noticed that there are 2-3 different hybrids (One of a Kind PC, BBCrackman) so my question is, which one is the best?
    You arent going to notice much difference between the hybrids. You may not even notice a difference between a hybrid and a leaked OS either.

Reception for me has been best with .148, other people have different opinions because each phone reacts differently believe it or not.

To check your memory you can go to Options/Memory, most people keep an eye on Application Memory Free Space, usually up around 40's upon boot.

I would just recommend trying a normal leaked OS before getting into hybrids, but it seems you already have a hybrid installed so good luck!
    05-30-09 10:54 PM

Easy question first: Options | Memory. The number your looking for is listed as "Application Memory".

Hybrids: Which is better, Coke or Pepsi? Ford or Chevy? Mac or PC?

That being said, you're going to get a lot of biased answers to that question. The people running hybrids swear by their favorites, be it Lyricidal, BBCrackman, or oneofakind. Try them, if you find one that works well for you enjoy it, if not try another. Don't expect to get a definite "this one is the best".

And as for the radio file, that contains the core operating system files. I would say that 148 is the best, and its the one that is being released tomorrow as "official". Others say they have better results with certain of the older ones. Unlocked Storms on AT&T I believe work best on 90's radio file.

Bottom line, YMMV. Try, experiment, learn.

I'm running straight 148, not a hybrid.
    05-30-09 10:56 PM
    You arent going to notice much difference between the hybrids. You may not even notice a difference between a hybrid and a leaked OS either.

Reception for me has been best with .148, other people have different opinions because each phone reacts differently believe it or not.

To check your memory you can go to Options/Memory, most people keep an eye on Application Memory Free Space, usually up around 40's upon boot.

I would just recommend trying a normal leaked OS before getting into hybrids, but it seems you already have a hybrid installed so good luck!
    ok so my next question is this. I am only getting 37 mb on startup. Is there a problem or could it be that I have a bunch of apps installed?
    05-30-09 10:56 PM
    ok so my next question is this. I am only getting 37 mb on startup. Is there a problem or could it be that I have a bunch of apps installed?
    Only a problem if your system is freezing up, crashing/rebooting, or just generally running slow. 37 MB on startup is normal, probably average, I'm about the same. If your phone is running well, don't worry about it.
    05-30-09 10:59 PM
    I myself and this is my opinion, do not worry bout the startup memory unless the phone starts acting weird and slower then normal, alot of people keep an eagle eye on it like its the end of the world.

I have honestly never seen mine above 45 meg, like i said each phone reacts differently though and thats why you also have so many different opinions on here.

My phones runs somewhat well (never to my expectation) but somewhat well unless it gets below 10 meg
    05-30-09 10:59 PM
    How many apps do you have installed? If you have a lot then it could be normal, but if its at startup I doubt its a leak. it could also be just the OS you're using. I got a little confused but it sounds like you're on .75. If so, then that sounds about normal...for that OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 11:01 PM
    First of thanks for all the extremely quick reply's. I am currently on Lyricidal's .148/5.0/.93 hybrid. What I typed in my original post was to show the steps I took to upgrade- .75> (leaked).148> Lyricidal's .148/5.0/.93 hybrid. As for the apps I have there is quite a few but I have some time to kill so here is the list.

StormSlider (free version)
    Facebook
    MySpace
    TwitterBerry
    Pandora
    AppWorld
    Where
    QuickPull
    WeatherBug
    Guitar Tuner
    Light Saber
    ShotGun
    StormSketch
    Snapple Cap
    Psycho Knife
    BerryBuzz(trial version)
    CrackBerry App Store
    Bank Of America
    Flickr
    OrientationLock
    iPhone 3G theme
    iBerry Bottom Dock
    Gears of War theme
    Ferrari theme
    bDroid Reloaded theme
    AndroidStormX theme
    AndroidStorm v1.2 theme

That's about it. My phone performs fine. I get the occasional lockup but it always corrects itself I haven't had to do a (physical) battery pull since I upgraded to Lyricidal's hybrid. I have done some simulated pulls with QuickPull.

One more question I just thought of. If you use the auto on/off does it just turn the phone off as if you were to hold the end button or does it do the simulated pull?
    05-30-09 11:16 PM
    First of thanks for all the extremely quick reply's. I am currently on Lyricidal's .148/5.0/.93 hybrid. What I typed in my original post was to show the steps I took to upgrade- .75> (leaked).148> Lyricidal's .148/5.0/.93 hybrid. As for the apps I have there is quite a few but I have some time to kill so here is the list.

{SNIP}

That's about it. My phone performs fine. I get the occasional lockup but it always corrects itself I haven't had to do a (physical) battery pull since I upgraded to Lyricidal's hybrid. I have done some simulated pulls with QuickPull.

One more question I just thought of. If you use the auto on/off does it just turn the phone off as if you were to hold the end button or does it do the simulated pull?
    With that list of apps, yes, you're doing well to start up at 37MB. Wow.

Auto-off puts the phone into stan-by mode just like pressing and holding the red END key, or selecting the Power Off icon on your Apps screen, just allows you to schedule the time to do it. It's not a battery pull, or a QuickPull.
    05-30-09 11:25 PM
    With that list of apps, yes, you're doing well to start up at 37MB. Wow.

Auto-off puts the phone into stan-by mode just like pressing and holding the red END key, or selecting the Power Off icon on your Apps screen, just allows you to schedule the time to do it. It's not a battery pull, or a QuickPull.
    Thanks for all the help. This site is epic =D
    05-30-09 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD