11-21-08 03:43 PM
85 1234
tools
    this thread is all speculation. i am going early for one reason...

better safe, than sorry
    11-19-08 04:29 PM
    I just got back from a Corp store in South Elgin, IL. The manager plainly told me they open at 8AM, but only expect 10 devices to be available, and he'd take orders for Monday delivery on Friday.

Then I called Best Buy, in South Elgin, IL as well, where I have a pre-order and they said they will surely have them in on Friday and I can come in any time as only 5 to 7 pre-orders were put in on the phone...

Who knows what they're doing, I think you may be right about hype generation...
    11-19-08 04:33 PM
    Yes, running out is a possibility but not in a couple hours - maybe by the end of the day or the next day. Even the iPhone took longer than that to run out. The iPhone could claim they ran out due to high demand because they ran through a very large number of units (millions?).

If they only stock 30 units they can't claim they ran out due to large demand. The story will read Verizon runs out underestimating supply, again. The again part is because Verizon botched the last flagship device launch due to under supply & it cost them in stock price when investors read it. Doubtful if Verizon would make that mistake twice. Especially not now with AT&T just a month away from selling iPhones in Wal-Marts. Verizon's stock isn't in a place where they can take another negative story in the WSJ about their inability to capitalize on a flagship device launch.

crack.berries right... I know two different verizonwireless employees at corporate stores and they both informed me that their supply is 30 units...

creating the demand for somethings needs to sell out first...

one of the stores by me is taking names down and will open at 7am. I will at there around that time and hopefully get one.. I'm only going early because I have work at 8:30 right afterwards..but if I don't get one, i'm not going to lose sleep, I know I'll get one in the coming weeks afterwards so not a big deal.
    Last edited by unkoil; 11-19-08 at 05:14 PM.
    11-19-08 05:10 PM
    Yes, running out is a possibility but not in a couple hours - maybe by the end of the day or the next day. Even the iPhone took longer than that to run out. The iPhone could claim they ran out due to high demand because they ran through a very large number of units (millions?).

If they only stock 30 units they can't claim they ran out due to large demand. The story will read Verizon runs out underestimating supply, again. The again part is because Verizon botched the last flagship device launch due to under supply & it cost them in stock price when investors read it. Doubtful if Verizon would make that mistake twice. Especially not now with AT&T just a month away from selling iPhones in Wal-Marts. Verizon's stock isn't in a place where they can take another negative story in the WSJ about their inability to capitalize on a flagship device launch.
    But somewhere in the article, they will have to mention the number of units sold. If they only provide 30 per store, then claim how they ran out in just a few hours. they will look like fools for not providing enough inventory.

I agree with the original post, this is just hype. Business is down EVERYWHERE. This is projected to be the worst holiday season in over 30 years, There is even concern that many retail outlets may be forced to close if sales are not good this season. Verizon is creating this hype, to help drive sales in the next few weeks.

I am very confident that anyone that wants a Storm on Friday will get one. I plan on arriving at the store sometime in the AM. If for some crazy reason, they are out of stock, I will just order online and get in Monday. No big deal. Its not like I will be doing much business over the weekend.
    11-19-08 05:18 PM
    But somewhere in the article, they will have to mention the number of units sold. If they only provide 30 per store, then claim how they ran out in just a few hours. they will look like fools for not providing enough inventory.
    I think that was CrackBerrys point. If they run out it will need to due to high sales and not low inventory.

If Verizon only sells 30 Storms there won't be any hype about high demand. There will only be stories about Verizon again messing up the launch of an anticipated device. Verizon will be known as the largest US carrier that can't seem to get any important device launched properly.

Investors will see another supply chain problem with Verizon and move their money to the safe bet of AT&T. AT&T is sure to see lots of new customers when iPhones go on sale in Wal-Mart.

I agree with CrackBerry & think Verizon can't afford not to have fully stocked stores. They can do the hype, but they must follow through selling hundreds of thousands of units before they sell out.
    11-19-08 05:26 PM

That's like being a democrat or republican...how ever they want to spin it.......
    11-19-08 05:30 PM
    This same thread is going on at hofo (parallel universe?). Someone in the know has mentioned that vzw has 400k units in first build. That would work out to 160 units per store if spread equally. Of course, that's not the case, kiosks, telesales, etc. all need some, but as I mentioned on a post there as well, can't see vzw spending the amount of money to take out full page ads in all major metro daily papers, taking out 30 second spots on Sun/Mon nite football just have 5-7 phones in a store on launch day!

You want to make as many sales as possible as quickly as possible. Imagine if poor reviews start coming in and you didn't get all the sales first because you were holding back on purpose?!
    11-19-08 05:39 PM
    I just better not see Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter standing in line for one (a la former mayor John Street and the iPhone).
    I second that! Especially after this week when they have shut down libraries and *tried to shut down a few ice rinks before Ed Snider stepped up to the plate to keep the rinks open... Closing local rec areas and libraries, then being caught waiting in line to use taxpayer money for a storm would definitely be a royal eff up on his part.
    11-19-08 06:00 PM
    My thoughts on this whole "creating the demand" thing is that many stores took people's names and numbers ahead of time to approximate how many units they would potentially sell. My local store told me they don't yet have a firm count on how many they are getting, though they are not using the lists to hold them for people, just to call and remind them they are available. This could definitely be used to report back to HQ with their order request (i.e. if they have a list of 100 or more names in a major metro area, I doubt they would only get 30 devices).

Also, regarding the ordering and shipping, they told me two business days but to use Wednesday of the following week to guarantee to have it by. My math tells me Tuesday, but whatever.
    11-19-08 06:16 PM
    No storm shortage? Wrong.

My location is getting all of 3 storms.

Weve had well over 100 customers ask about it, and sign up on our list.
    11-19-08 06:20 PM
    Every wonder why only a select few stores are opening early (not every 2600 corp store)? Is it a coincidence people are hearing they are getting only 30 storms from podunk town kiosks to major metro corporate stores?...
    I couldn't agree with you more (the whole post, I mean; I took the rest out just to shorten the quote a bit).

-SR-

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 06:28 PM
    I hope Crack.Berry is correct, but as I mentioned in my other post, the verizon stores in Austin, Texas are:

1. Encouraging people NOT to camp out
    2. Opening 1 hour early
    3. Stating plainly that I will NOT be able to get a Storm on friday. I will only be able to order one for delivery next week.
    Not sure which Austin stores you're talking about, but I've called at least 4 different stores and none of them are opening early or saying that I won't get one on Friday. They're all first come, first served.
    11-19-08 06:39 PM
    Now this might just be one of the most intelligent things I've read all week! Thanks.
    What he said.

OP, nice angle of thought...
    11-19-08 06:43 PM
    In Maryland, my local VZW store is opening at its usual 9am time per my phone conversation with the sales manager today. He said there is a lot of interest, but didn't think I would have a problem if I got there when they opened.

On Monday, I called the telesales number and spoke with a rep who offered an additional $50 bucks off from what I would pay in the store if I order from her. I told her I really wanted to pick one up in the store on Friday so I would wait. She took my name and number.

Surprisingly, she called me back this afternoon to see if I wanted to do the deal now for a Friday mailing. I told her I was still holding out for a store phone, so she said to call her Friday morning if I run into trouble at the store and she will do the deal.

I just don't want to wait for a possible Monday delivery if I can get it Friday morning. (I know...I'm an dummy!)
    Last edited by richs10; 11-19-08 at 06:57 PM. Reason: to change ***** to dummy.
    11-19-08 06:56 PM
    Every wonder why only a select few stores are opening early (not every 2600 corp store)? Is it a coincidence people are hearing they are getting only 30 storms from podunk town kiosks to major metro corporate stores?

The early opening corporate stores are trying to create a demand so they have a camping out photo op. Verizon knows the benefit of free advertising from Newspaper and TV news showing people lined up for something.

With Black Friday around the corner this is the perfect time to have every local news outlet showing people lined up at Verizon (think of Apple/AT&T with the iPhone). When the rest of America sees this they think 'Verizon has something special, I want one too'.

Verizon isn't going to overshadow these great individual city photo ops with news they only had 30 units on hand to sell. Turning away hundreds would make their carefully planned news opportunity into negative publicity right before Black Friday.

There is no reason to open early and only have 30 units to sell at each store. This is all hype and there will be plenty of units to buy at the stores for those camped out early & those that come out to buy after seeing it on the news.

Don't buy into the hype unless you like to get up early & wait in lines.
    One of the best posts I've read since I joined this board. The last thing VZW wants are 100 people on line and less than 1/3 of that line getting phones. That would be a PR nightmare.
    11-19-08 07:26 PM
    don't know how many my corporate store is getting, they said they won't get them from the local warehouse until tomorrow. . . I can't wait
    11-19-08 08:08 PM
    i miss pat's and wawa too, too cold for rita's one bad thing about living in Atlanta
    11-19-08 08:21 PM
    Ever wonder why X-Box's, PS2's, 360's, Wii's, PS3's ALWAYS have lines waiting for them, but yet STILL run out?

I'll let you answer that one.

DO buy into the hype people. The phones WILL run out the first few days. I agree that Verizon does this on purpose to gain all that "free" advertising, but after they got that, they will then, and only then flood the market with enough devices.

So if you want a storm the day it comes out, get in line like everybody else. If you are willing to wait an additional week, then wait and you will be able to walk into any store and buy one with no line.

I cant agree with you more.
    11-19-08 08:25 PM
    This same thread is going on at hofo (parallel universe?). Someone in the know has mentioned that vzw has 400k units in first build. That would work out to 160 units per store if spread equally. Of course, that's not the case, kiosks, telesales, etc. all need some, but as I mentioned on a post there as well, can't see vzw spending the amount of money to take out full page ads in all major metro daily papers, taking out 30 second spots on Sun/Mon nite football just have 5-7 phones in a store on launch day!

You want to make as many sales as possible as quickly as possible. Imagine if poor reviews start coming in and you didn't get all the sales first because you were holding back on purpose?!
    I beg to differ please refer the PS3 Model they had 10, yes only 10 in each store even in major markets. Granted it was because of production problems but it was their best mistake ever. The long lines, clamoring fans who prompted more fans, got people to do everything they could to run out and by a $600 game system.

Now wireless companies are doing the same, they build this hype then when it's finally time to get one they run out. It makes you want it even more and you make other people want it.

Face people want what they can't have. And companies want us to want their product more. Soooo with all that said count on a shortage, count on some type of line, and if you don't get it quick count on some type of long wait.
    11-19-08 08:35 PM
    make him a moderator!
    11-19-08 08:35 PM
    Crack.berry i think that was a brilliant post and you made some great points! On a side note when I talked to my store they said they had already called 84people on their "list", and this was 4 days before they even got around to calling me, and she was sure they wouldn't get anywhere near that many so.... well see I still plan to be there an hour before they open and it is supposed to be about 24 degrees that morning. So I'm hoping that will discourage other people from coming out
    11-19-08 08:58 PM
    I beg to differ please refer the PS3 Model they had 10, yes only 10 in each store even in major markets. Granted it was because of production problems but it was their best mistake ever. The long lines, clamoring fans who prompted more fans, got people to do everything they could to run out and by a $600 game system.

Now wireless companies are doing the same, they build this hype then when it's finally time to get one they run out. It makes you want it even more and you make other people want it.

Face people want what they can't have. And companies want us to want their product more. Soooo with all that said count on a shortage, count on some type of line, and if you don't get it quick count on some type of long wait.
    The saying "Two in the hand..." comes to mind here. As an earlier poster said, they will make as many sales as they can as quickly as they can. Does that mean that each store will have enough to cover local demand? Not necessarily. They will likely have more than enough to cover the weekend demand through placing orders for Monday delivery.

I still think most people will be able to get them in stores. We're all a bunch of freaks and are probably working ourselves into a frenzy.
    11-19-08 09:21 PM
    im thinking of calling telesales for a saturday delivery but still go down to my local verizon store and try and get one too Friday morning, if I can, ill just return the saturday deliver one when it arrives and cancel that line
    11-19-08 09:39 PM
    Some of you are using to much logic here. Since when do companies do what's best for the customer? They do what's best for them. Or what they think is best.

I called 2 stores locally and both said the same thing, don't waste your time trying to get one Friday morning. They were both getting like 10 units. They are going to take orders and mail them to you.
    11-19-08 09:47 PM
    Hey, some of us are doing it for the story and the heck of it!
    11-19-08 11:05 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD