Every wonder why only a select few stores are opening early (not every 2600 corp store)? Is it a coincidence people are hearing they are getting only 30 storms from podunk town kiosks to major metro corporate stores?

The early opening corporate stores are trying to create a demand so they have a camping out photo op. Verizon knows the benefit of free advertising from Newspaper and TV news showing people lined up for something.

With Black Friday around the corner this is the perfect time to have every local news outlet showing people lined up at Verizon (think of Apple/AT&T with the iPhone). When the rest of America sees this they think 'Verizon has something special, I want one too'.

Verizon isn't going to overshadow these great individual city photo ops with news they only had 30 units on hand to sell. Turning away hundreds would make their carefully planned news opportunity into negative publicity right before Black Friday.

There is no reason to open early and only have 30 units to sell at each store. This is all hype and there will be plenty of units to buy at the stores for those camped out early & those that come out to buy after seeing it on the news.

Don't buy into the hype unless you like to get up early & wait in lines.
    11-19-08 02:43 PM
    Every wonder why only a select few stores are opening early (not every 2600 corp store)? Is it a coincidence people are hearing they are getting only 30 storms from podunk town kiosks to major metro corporate stores?

The early opening corporate stores are trying to create a demand so they have a camping out photo op. Verizon knows the benefit of free advertising from Newspaper and TV news showing people lined up for something.

With Black Friday around the corner this is the perfect time to have every local news outlet showing people lined up at Verizon (think of Apple/AT&T with the iPhone). When the rest of America sees this they think 'Verizon has something special, I want one too'.

Verizon isn't going to overshadow these great individual city photo ops with news they only had 30 units on hand to sell. Turning away hundreds would make their carefully planned news opportunity into negative publicity right before Black Friday.

There is no reason to open early and only have 30 units to sell at each store. This is all hype and there will be plenty of units to buy at the stores for those camped out early & those that come out to buy after seeing it on the news.

Don't buy into the hype unless you like to get up early & wait in lines.
    Now this might just be one of the most intelligent things I've read all week! Thanks.
    11-19-08 02:45 PM
    I just better not see Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter standing in line for one (a la former mayor John Street and the iPhone).
    11-19-08 02:47 PM
    Now this might just be one of the most intelligent things I've read all week! Thanks.
    +1...Great point, Crack.Berry! I couldn't have said it better myself
    11-19-08 02:47 PM
    Outstanding post. It's nice to hear a voice of reason in the midst of this chaos.
    11-19-08 02:49 PM
    good stuff !
    11-19-08 02:50 PM
    I just better not see Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter standing in line for one (a la former mayor John Street and the iPhone).
    woah woah woah, back the train up. when did major street stop being mayor and who is this michael nutter butter guy? dang, i need to go back home... i miss pats, rita's, and wawa
    11-19-08 02:50 PM
    Crack.Berry, you don't happen to be a marketing major, or somehow involved in the marketing industry, are you?
    11-19-08 02:51 PM
    You don't think they really did run out of iPhones and tons of people were put on back order?

I agree it's alot of hype and great photo op for VZ but I also believe they too will "run out" of the Storm within hours in order to create the hype and wonderment of "what does VZ have, I want one too", scenerio.

So the choice is, wait in line or go on back order and live the hype. IMO
    11-19-08 02:51 PM
    Is that the same thing for those of us ordering online. Will there be plenty to go around. Or will we have to wait til the next Friday to get one?
    11-19-08 02:53 PM
    You don't think they really did run out of iPhones and tons of people were put on back order?

I agree it's alot of hype and great photo op for VZ but I also believe they too will "run out" of the Storm within an hours in order to create the hype and wonderment of what does VZ have and I want one too scenerio.

So the choice is, wait in line or go on back order and live the hype. IMO
    Yes, running out is a possibility but not in a couple hours - maybe by the end of the day or the next day. Even the iPhone took longer than that to run out. The iPhone could claim they ran out due to high demand because they ran through a very large number of units (millions?).

If they only stock 30 units they can't claim they ran out due to large demand. The story will read Verizon runs out underestimating supply, again. The again part is because Verizon botched the last flagship device launch due to under supply & it cost them in stock price when investors read it. Doubtful if Verizon would make that mistake twice. Especially not now with AT&T just a month away from selling iPhones in Wal-Marts. Verizon's stock isn't in a place where they can take another negative story in the WSJ about their inability to capitalize on a flagship device launch.
    Last edited by Crack.Berry; 11-19-08 at 03:00 PM.
    11-19-08 02:56 PM
    woah woah woah, back the train up. when did major street stop being mayor and who is this michael nutter butter guy? dang, i need to go back home... i miss pats, rita's, and wawa
    If you haven't been back since Street's been out, you really need a decent sandwich or pizza. How do you survive down there with the awful steak & cheese (as they call it) or hoagies/subs?
    11-19-08 03:02 PM
    I hope Crack.Berry is correct, but as I mentioned in my other post, the verizon stores in Austin, Texas are:

1. Encouraging people NOT to camp out
    2. Opening 1 hour early
    3. Stating plainly that I will NOT be able to get a Storm on friday. I will only be able to order one for delivery next week.
    11-19-08 03:05 PM
    If you haven't been back since Street's been out, you really need a decent sandwich or pizza. How do you survive down there with the awful steak & cheese (as they call it) or hoagies/subs?
    i make my own cheesesteaks.

can u believe they laughed @ me when i said "can i get one wiz with?" and then had to tell them that it's a steak and cheese, but the cheese is cheeze whiz? then they looked @ me in disgust...

luckily i found a section of fort laud that's all philadelphians..
    11-19-08 03:06 PM
    My Corp store is opening at 8 on friday-

When you say early, does that mean waaaaay before 8, or right before eight?

I doubt many people will be waiting there before me, but hey-

I could be wrong.
    11-19-08 03:10 PM

can u believe they laughed @ me when i said "can i get one wiz with?" and then had to tell them that it's a steak and cheese, but the cheese is cheeze whiz? then they looked @ me in disgust...

I have found myself in various parts of the country ordering "one with", and gotten very odd looks.

The rolls are the hard thing to find, but glad to hear that you found all the old locals.

Be glad that you are down there today. Cold as ****.
    11-19-08 03:11 PM
    Ever wonder why X-Box's, PS2's, 360's, Wii's, PS3's ALWAYS have lines waiting for them, but yet STILL run out?

I'll let you answer that one.

DO buy into the hype people. The phones WILL run out the first few days. I agree that Verizon does this on purpose to gain all that "free" advertising, but after they got that, they will then, and only then flood the market with enough devices.

So if you want a storm the day it comes out, get in line like everybody else. If you are willing to wait an additional week, then wait and you will be able to walk into any store and buy one with no line.
    11-19-08 03:11 PM
    Nice post! I do agree somewhat. My only complaint is that when AT&T released the iphone they did run out at stores. My local AT&T store here in St Louis had 70 iphones and were sold out the first hour the store opened. I understand that the storm doesn't have as much hype as the iphone, but here locally they have been advertising the crap out of the storm on the radio. I do think its a little odd that they don't have a updated commercial letting everyone know it is coming out on the 21st

IMO it will be hit or miss. Everyone in line will get one or there will be some in certain cities that will either have to call or it will be on back order. I am going to a local verizon store early but i am not going to keep my hopes up. If all else fails i will just be calling verzion to order and patiently wait.

Good luck to everyone!
    11-19-08 03:12 PM
    i want to see this done in front of all of you that opt to stand outside VZW stores waiting on the launch and then have it put on youtube for the rest of us with storms to watch and laugh.

11-19-08 03:13 PM
    Be glad that you are down there today. Cold as ****.
    lol it's like in the 60's here and everyone is bundled up with sweatshirts, boots/uggs, scarves, wool hats etc saying "omg it's freezing"

sorry... freezing starts @ 32 degrees and gets lower...

however, all the ladies with cold nips who dress like it's 90 degrees makes me laugh..
    11-19-08 03:16 PM

We have a place in Richmond VA called Mojo's and they have one with the Whiz, I first turned my nose up to it being a native Texan, but gave into it, and yes in fact it is the best way to make one. Now I wouldn't have one any other way.
    11-19-08 03:16 PM

Devils Advocate:

Open early to cater to customers who have to work during Normal Store hours.

Open early so that above customers take their Storms to work & advertise to the whole office for FREE

Open early to make the morning news so people call Tele-Sales & have their phones shipped.

Open early because it is time to make the doughnuts
    11-19-08 03:22 PM
    Ever wonder why X-Box's, PS2's, 360's, Wii's, PS3's ALWAYS have lines waiting for them, but yet STILL run out?

I'll let you answer that one.

DO buy into the hype people. The phones WILL run out the first few days. I agree that Verizon does this on purpose to gain all that "free" advertising, but after they got that, they will then, and only then flood the market with enough devices.

So if you want a storm the day it comes out, get in line like everybody else. If you are willing to wait an additional week, then wait and you will be able to walk into any store and buy one with no line.
    i dont really understand your post... ps3's were not easily purchased for a few months after the initial release.
    11-19-08 03:46 PM
    We have a place in Richmond VA called Mojo's and they have one with the Whiz, I first turned my nose up to it being a native Texan, but gave into it, and yes in fact it is the best way to make one. Now I wouldn't have one any other way.
    It's even better when they use horse meat.
    11-19-08 04:04 PM
    Im in Tucson, and my boy F.T. works at a corp store, and is holding one for me SPOSEDLY, but he doesnt get into work until 11:30 so HOPEFULLY they dont run out of stock b4 then....i will be one UNHAPPY fool if this is the case!
    11-19-08 04:08 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD