6 New BlackBerry Devices Before The End of 2010?

Interesting bit at the end there RE: the Storm 3. I can deal waiting a few extra months if it means getting LTE 4G, but I'm hoping this doesn't mean the brand is going by the wayside.
    06-16-10 09:05 PM
    As of now, Verizon seems to be on schedule to release LTE devices in Q1/Q2 of 2011. Like you said, if the Storm3 is in-fact being delayed to be 4G-capable, then I have no problem waiting. If that's the case, I hope RIM will use those extra few months to really make the impressive device that we all are craving from RIM.

Although people say to buy what you like now without waiting for future devices, the fact that LTE 4G isn't really that far away is really holding me back from getting the iPhone4. I'd hate to switch now, and then potentially switch back in 8-10 months for a 4G device. We'll see.
    06-16-10 09:30 PM
    No one can tell you for sure. Everyone has their own speculation as to dates and times, but 99% of those folks are clueless -- including myself.

I would hope Verizon launches a Storm 3 regardless of having the 4G network acquired. If Verizon doesn't, they can say goodbye to a lot of loyal customers who are already on the brink of leaving.
    06-16-10 10:19 PM
    Everybody with me Now all together..........WE WANT THE TRUTH!!!!!! We want the truth !!!!!!! We want the truth !!!!!!!! We want the truth !!!!!!!! **** no we won't wait !!!!! !! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-10 10:30 PM
    No one can tell you for sure. Everyone has their own speculation as to dates and times, but 99% of those folks are clueless -- including myself.

I would hope Verizon launches a Storm 3 regardless of having the 4G network acquired. If Verizon doesn't, they can say goodbye to a lot of loyal customers who are already on the brink of leaving.
    ^^^I highly doubt that a lot of vzw customers will leave if the storm3 doesn't drop in a certain time frame....

06-16-10 10:36 PM
    If the new Os is released by the end of the year, I will probably keep my s2 longer unless the s3 wows me...

06-16-10 10:39 PM
    ^^^I highly doubt that a lot of vzw customers will leave if the storm3 doesn't drop in a certain time frame....

There are thousands of BlackBerry users that are unhappy with Verizon. This is all they need to leave. If a Storm 3 does not come this year, that will anger A LOT of people.

If the new Os is released by the end of the year, I will probably keep my s2 longer unless the s3 wows me...

Hopefully they will release OS6 by then, but don't hold your breath.
    06-16-10 10:56 PM
    I'm certainly going to be switching to a different platform. I have been disgruntled for quite a while now and have been a VZW Blackberry user, for 5 years. I know that including myself there are 8 people i know that will change to another device varying from a droid to incredible and even someone wanting to switch to ATT to an iPhone. So as for myself i already have to lines out of my 5 lines that have an upgrade ready and another 2 towards the end of this year so the incredible and moto droid are two i will get just to have a variety of Android based OS devices. Just my 2 cents!
    06-17-10 01:27 AM
    I don't plan to get a new one until next Spring anyway, so if the S3 comes out then with LTE capability I'll be plenty happy! Rather that than have the S3 come out in November as 3G again and then have to wait all freaking year for the 4g again!
    06-17-10 02:31 AM
    There are thousands of BlackBerry users that are unhappy with Verizon. This is all they need to leave. If a Storm 3 does not come this year, that will anger A LOT of people.

Hopefully they will release OS6 by then, but don't hold your breath.
    Not to be rude, but "thousands????" and you know this how? And unhappy why?? Ante up your facts....If you have insider info, let us in on it.....
    06-17-10 05:47 AM
    The Storm name needs to be dumped. It has bad mojo in the market, and I believe only those of us who own them like them. Most others I know believe it is a failed device. Marketing will win this for RIM, and if I were them, I wouldn't try to revive the Storm name. You can argue the technical and first hand experience points all you want, and I would probably agree because I love my phone. However, the small majority of us with Storms won't win this for RIM, the broader market will.
    06-17-10 06:16 AM
    What surprised me most in this article was the fact that Verizon has signed an exclusive deal for all future Storm devices. Verizon treated the Storm2 like it was a ******* child - very little advertising or support to push it. If I was RIM I would be ticked off!
    06-17-10 07:02 AM
    There are thousands of BlackBerry users that are unhappy with Verizon.
    If they're unhappy with VZW, than they'll likely be miserable elsewhere. My BlackyBerry Curve was barely functional on AT&T. On VZW it was flawless.

This is all they need to leave. If a Storm 3 does not come this year, that will anger A LOT of people.
    I'm not clear on why people would blame VZW if the S3 is delayed. Wouldn't that be RIM's fault?

If I had to guess the number of people who will leave VZW because the S3 doesn't drop by the end of 2010... 8 .
    06-17-10 07:17 AM
    The Storm name needs to be dumped. It has bad mojo in the market, and I believe only those of us who own them like them. Most others I know believe it is a failed device. Marketing will win this for RIM, and if I were them, I wouldn't try to revive the Storm name. You can argue the technical and first hand experience points all you want, and I would probably agree because I love my phone. However, the small majority of us with Storms won't win this for RIM, the broader market will.
    I can't help but agree with this. The Storm 1 had it's issues, I'll say that, but I think a lot of folks (not necessarily us, mind you) didn't even give S2 a chance based on their experience with the first one, and the fact that cosmetically there really weren't any radical changes. I've noticed a lot of the "tech device sites" (engadget, gizmodo, etc) don't even include the Storm line in any kinds of comparison discussions...and I really can't figure out why not. [and please...we don't need fanboys jumping in a saying why Android or iPhone pwns the Storm, I'm just saying that I find it wrong that it's not even included in discussions]

I REALLY like my S2. I don't want to switch to Android or iPhone, I do want a device with a full-sized touchscreen, I don't want a "slider" nor do I want to leave Verizon. For all those reasons, I do that at the very least RIM continues to develop devices similar to the current Storm line.

I am willing to wait for a bit if it means getting 4G though.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 06-17-10 at 08:39 AM.
    06-17-10 08:35 AM
    I will agree with RIM dropping the storm name... but I don't see them dropping it's technology. You don't spend money for research and development and Patents on their surepress screen to just drop it after 2 lines. I held off on getting the storm because I read rumors about the storm 2 already in testing. My little brother is a technology addict apparently and is never happy with his phones and got a storm 1. Couldn't wait. Now all i hear every day is complaining about how it is always crashing and it's so slow and he has to reboot. He wants an incredible. The truth is... he'll never be happy with any phone. He loved his storm when he bought it.. but once the new wore off it he bitched and moaned about it. I Absolutely LOVE my storm 2. I will never give up the clicky surepress screen. And I can go 2 weeks without rebooting my storm 2. So yeah... RIM nor VZW will be losing me as a customer. If the Storm 3 comes out (even under a different name) I'll probably upgrade to it when I get an upgrade. Or I may just stick with my storm 2.
    06-17-10 11:32 AM
    I got the Storm 2 because of the Vz network. ATT is just too unreliable where I need to use the phone. But let's be honest, the BB email is great but the web is barely usable and the apps relatively limited. It is possible that this will change with 6.0 and a new browser but without a new device it still won't be anything like the competition.

If the rumors in the press this week are right, eventually VZ will get the iPhone [seems likely in the foreseeable future -by year end?]. The pre-sales of the new iPhone 4 have been great and that is the main thing RIM needs to worry about. A VZ iPhone will likely eliminate a large chunk of the Storm market potential. RIM has yet to prove they can make a state of the art phone or cutting edge software. When iPhone comes to VZ the Storm 2 [or Storm 2.5 or Storm 3] will still be behind the curve.

RIM is still a great company with lots of loyal users. They are not going away but they will fall further behind when the inevitable happens and VZ get the iPhone.

So the important question I have is not when is the Storm 3 coming but when is the iPhone 4 coming to VZ?
    06-17-10 12:23 PM
    I got the Storm 2 because of the Vz network. ATT is just too unreliable where I need to use the phone. But let's be honest, the BB email is great but the web is barely usable and the apps relatively limited. It is possible that this will change with 6.0 and a new browser but without a new device it still won't be anything like the competition.

If the rumors in the press this week are right, eventually VZ will get the iPhone [seems likely in the foreseeable future -by year end?]. The pre-sales of the new iPhone 4 have been great and that is the main thing RIM needs to worry about. A VZ iPhone will likely eliminate a large chunk of the Storm market potential. RIM has yet to prove they can make a state of the art phone or cutting edge software. When iPhone comes to VZ the Storm 2 [or Storm 2.5 or Storm 3] will still be behind the curve.

RIM is still a great company with lots of loyal users. They are not going away but they will fall further behind when the inevitable happens and VZ get the iPhone.

So the important question I have is not when is the Storm 3 coming but when is the iPhone 4 coming to VZ?
    Every night I kneel by my bed and pray to the cell carrier gods that Verizon NEVER gets the frickin' Jesus phone. I don't want Verizon's stellar network coverage/performance to be impacted by millions of iPhone data-hogs. AT&T finally saw the light and decided to cap data usage--smart move. I hope that never comes to Verizon (data capping), but I fear it will. I suppose I'll be "grandfathered in", but still..
    06-17-10 12:30 PM

I highly doubt that VZW will see an iPhone before LTE, if it's going to happen at all. I just don't see Apple wasting resources to develop a CDMA only phone that will be completely out of date almost immediately after release. If it happens, I don't think it will be any earlier than maybe next Spring. And I still won't want one. THe only thing that might pull me away from BB eventually would be Android on an LTE device, preferably from Samsung.
    06-17-10 04:47 PM
    FWIW, In Canada TELUS has the Storm 2 marked to be discontinued around the July 15 mark. I don't know if that's because another touchscreen BB will be launched around that time here, but I can't imagine they would ingore that market segment for long.
    06-17-10 05:50 PM

Who cares about how well RIM "markets" any new phones? I just want an improvement over my storm2. Honestly I dont care what the name is either. They changed the name of the 9650 to bold even though we really know it is a the next step in the tour family. I doubt putting "bold" instead of "tour" on the back changed sales signifcantly.

Do you work in the marketing department for RIM or something?
    06-17-10 06:00 PM
    Who cares about how well RIM "markets" any new phones? I just want an improvement over my storm2. Honestly I dont care what the name is either. They changed the name of the 9650 to bold even though we really know it is a the next step in the tour family. I doubt putting "bold" instead of "tour" on the back changed sales signifcantly.

Do you work in the marketing department for RIM or something?
    You personally may not care, but in a discussion about naming and phones and whether they are a success, it matters. Asking whether there will be a Storm 3 in 2010 begs the question whether it will be a Storm or not. This forum is for discussion.

You may know that it is a Storm and much the same, but a lot of the market does not. Learn a little about business and success in consumer products and then tell me it does not matter to RIM's success in the market. Most people out there don't know the genealogy of a phone and 90% of all people probably don't know the Bold 9650 is just an updated Tour, even if you and I did. Why do you think RIM changed it and places like CrackBerry put "good move" in many of their reviews.

I want to own a successful line of phones so the software and accessories are plentiful and so RIM supports the damn platform. A loser in the market is a loser to the users, maybe not the first round, but eventually. I try to think about the overall market not just my little world and what I think. I also want an improvement to my phone, but being a little consumer oriented, I want to own a successful product as well.

I certainly don't work for RIM, but I do know a thing or two about marketing.
    06-17-10 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD