Hi all, new Crackberry user here! I've tried to Search for this issue but haven't come up with anyone else complaining about it. I don't have special characters on my Storm - I hold down the keys like I'm supposed to, but only the standard letter shows up (some have symbols and slashes, but no accented letters). Also, a friend of mine sent me a text message using an "N" with a tilde over it, but on my phone it displayed as a "Q". It's almost like I don't have some kind of character pack installed or something. Does anyone have any advice on this or ideas of what could be wrong? I'll also be e-mailing RIM to ask them.
    01-14-09 09:07 PM
    if you hover your finger over, say the n, the special tilde n will pop up.
    01-14-09 09:17 PM
    "I hold down the keys like I'm supposed to, but only the standard letter shows up"

I know what the manual tells me and what the reviews said about how the typing works, I'm saying it doesn't do that on my Storm.
    01-14-09 09:19 PM
    Are you pressing, or hovering. Pressing makes capitals. Hovering finds the other stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 09:21 PM
    I'm hovering. If I press (click) the letter and hold that down it will input a capital letter as it should - however, if I hover (rest my finger on) the letter for a few seconds, that letter appears on the screen, but only the normal letter.

This appears to happen with letters that should have special characters - for example, I can hover on "E" and "N" and "O" and those letters will pop up, but hovering on "H" does nothing.
    01-14-09 09:26 PM
    ditto, same issue here. Hover only produces regular letter in the opposite case as the keyboard is set, but no special characters.
    01-14-09 10:48 PM
    EDIT: My h doesnt do anything either but is it supposed to? There are no special characters for H are there?
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-14-09 at 10:53 PM.
    01-14-09 10:51 PM
    What is your hover set to? Try 100 to see if it helps ??? Did you change any font
    or other options?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 11:23 PM
    My works fine; wish I had an answer for you...
    01-15-09 12:37 AM
    I have had a similar experience. I try to use the special characters when I am sending a text message but it doesn't work; I have tried it many different ways to see if the accents work but nothing seems to work. I actually spoke to someone about it with Verizon technical support but they couldn't help me solve the problem either, but they did say that I wasn't the first person to call and report the problem/glitch. I recommend that you call your carrier and try to complain like I did to let them know how important it is to be able to use the special characters. I type messages in Spanish and in Portuguese.

Here are a couple of basic suggestions that you may have already tried, but if not, here you go:

Put the "switch input language" to Spanish
    Try switching between Suretype and Multitap
    Try using a different overall font for your cellphone
    As previously mentioned above, simply position your finger over the letter (some people may use the word "hover"), then special characters should appear (depending on the letter or special character(s) you wish to achieve, of course, not all letters contain special characters) - then "press" or "click" the special character that you would like to use and it should appear in your text

I have no problems typing and using special characters when I am using Blackberry messenger, but with a regular SMS text message I can't seem to get the special characters to come up, and if they do as I get ready to actually use the special character my phone tends to somehow turn on the camera and then I try to turn the camera off and then my phone freezes up. The funny thing is that I actually went to the Verizon store and showed them the problem and they didn't know what to do and gave me a new Blackberry Storm without any hassle, but come to find out that this phone now does the same exact thing and doesn't work properly. If I find out anything from one of the managers from Verizon any news about this problem I will be sure to post something here for all to read; he said he would get back to me within two days to at least let me know if this was on their "to do list" of other things to fix. Sorry for the long message but I too am having problems with this particular function.
    Last edited by Notilus; 03-05-09 at 10:59 PM.
    03-05-09 01:17 AM
    I never did get an informed reply about this issue on here or the Blackberry forums, but I came to believe that it didn't work because SMS doesn't support the full ASCII range. I am able to use special characters properly when writing an e-mail or document, it's only when writing a SMS message that they don't appear. It is true that my friend can send them to me, but he tells me that iPhones don't actually use the SMS protocol, they essentially send e-mails and I could certainly do the same thing back to him.

Unless someone who knows can tell me differently, I believe it's simply a limitation of SMS and recommend that if using these characters to type in Spanish is important to you, just do it by sending e-mails to their mobile number - that should work for them identically.
    03-05-09 10:29 AM
    Neither did I, but hopefully I made such a big deal about it over the phone that the manager will actually get to me and tell if not now, when we could expect the people who figure these out to give us some sort of time frame so that is does function properly. Yeah, I remember that I could just send an e-mail and thought could solve the interim problem, however I would like it to work because the Storm phones are not cheap and I expect to get all that I paid for - I am not one of the those people who got it for free, I got the phone for roughly half price so to me I want the functionality that I paid for. If you ever hear of any upgrades/downloads available to correct this problem in the near future PLEASE post it here as I will come back and check this forum semi-frequently.
    03-05-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD