Well we heard of phone scoop that the browser they tested on the Storm had no flash but the leaked Training Manual clearly states that users will be able to watch youtube videos

This was actually a deal breaker for me so I am quite happy; I don't really know how important this is to the rest of you .. soo sorry if this post is of no greater value.

+1 for me
    +1 for everyone else as well
    -1 for umm .. NO ONE?
    10-20-08 05:43 PM
    Well we heard of phone scoop that the browser they tested on the Storm had no flash but the leaked Training Manual clearly states that users will be able to watch youtube videos

This was actually a deal breaker for me so I am quite happy; I don't really know how important this is to the rest of you .. soo sorry if this post is of no greater value.

+1 for me
    +1 for everyone else as well
    -1 for umm .. NO ONE?
    I dont have flash on my curve but I can watch youtube videos!!!
    10-20-08 05:49 PM
    OS 4.5 introduced video streaming (or was it 4.3).

I'm not sure how they do it, but it works.
    10-20-08 05:51 PM
    Well it's quite sad that I try searching this forum and only find out for myself that this is possible after I post my own link ;\

I am sure the answer's were there somewhere, I probably didn't look hard enough.

Oh well, it can do it .. all that matters to me.
    10-20-08 05:56 PM
    Youtube has a mobile version of their site that streams videos to mobile phone browsers through a non-Flash player. The shot of the user surfing YouTube on the Storm in one of those Engadget videos that showed up today looks very much like the Mobile Youtube site (m. youtube. com). If it is just mobile Youtube, then it's pretty old news, and not that exciting. From what I've seen of it so far, the quality is (understandably) shoddy.
    10-20-08 06:21 PM
    Well isn't it true that iphone doesn't have a flash browser but still can play youtube?
    10-20-08 07:03 PM
    iPhone has a custom-designed app that handles Youtube playing. If the Storm comes with one, then more power to them (and us). But what I've seen in videos so far looks strikingly like mobile Youtube. I'll have to re-watch the videos again to take another look.
    10-20-08 08:02 PM
    I view youtube videos on my 8100 all the time. What's so shoddy?
    10-20-08 08:30 PM
    Alright, I was not pertaining this post to the videos we have seen. I was merely commenting on what the Verizon training manual had said.
    10-20-08 08:32 PM
    There's quite a few things in the training manual that's wrong. Namely, On-Device memory. In the doc it shows 1GB for the Storm. This is correct, but not when it's compared to the 8330 having 96MB and the 8830 having 64MB. The reason I say this is because it leads people to belive that you can actually install apps on that 1GB of memory, which you CANNOT. The publication is incorrect. It should show 128MB in that field or 128MB/1GB. It's misleading and I guarantee you that CSRs on the phone will be telling people that they can install apps on the 1GB of memory.

Also, based on how the training manual is written to upsell the Storm as better then the 8830/8330, prepare not to have OS4.5 released by them until AFTER the Storm release or at the same time. They want you to buy the Storm to have "HTML email and all the other wonderful stuff" which you could easily have with OS4.5 on the 8830/8330. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice device, but it amazes me at the extreme lows that VZW goes to mislead its customers and employees.
    10-20-08 08:48 PM
    Ok sum1 plz help me out here. I bought my Blackberry 8830 on thursday and I for sum reason cannot watch youtube videos. Sum1 on one thread told me I have a 4.3 so I shuld be able to view youtube but I can't.

WHAT SHULD I DO?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 09:09 PM
    Ok sum1 plz help me out here. I bought my Blackberry 8830 on thursday and I for sum reason cannot watch youtube videos. Sum1 on one thread told me I have a 4.3 so I shuld be able to view youtube but I can't.

WHAT SHULD I DO?

are you going to m.youtube.com

That even works on my LG Dare...
    10-20-08 10:39 PM

WHAT SHULD I DO?

There is no OS4.3 for an 8830. You probably have 4.2.2.x and most certainly cannot play YouTube videos. Sorry, you'll need to upgrade to 4.5 when it becomes available or mess around with the leaked BETAs to get this functionality.
    10-20-08 10:43 PM
    I view youtube videos on my 8100 all the time. What's so shoddy?
    Do you do so by going to m.youtube.com, or can you go directly from the main youtube page on the 8100? m.youtube.com videos are horrible, IMHO. I can't stand them.
    10-21-08 12:40 AM
    I've got the 8120 and I get the message "the protocol specified is not supported by the handheld. Please try a different URL." I get this on youtube.com and m.youtube.com.
    10-21-08 01:29 AM
    Alright, I was not pertaining this post to the videos we have seen. I was merely commenting on what the Verizon training manual had said.
    Right, I was aware you were basing your comment on the training manual. My point (which I didn't make very clearly) was that as long as the browser will play mobile YouTube videos, Verizon can legitimately (though I guess that's arguable) say in their training manual that the Storm "plays Youtube videos."
    10-21-08 01:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD