Hi everyone,

I know there have been conflicting reports, but I thought I'd share my experience thus far. I have a Canada-built Storm that was purchased on the initial release day at a Verizon corporate store. The click hasn't always been perfect, but the Torx T6 fix helped quite a bit.

Having said that, my wife's Storm - which she received by delivery a few days later - responded MUCH better to the Torx T6 fix and clicks absolutely FLAWLESSLY everywhere.

Mine's decent, don't get me wrong - but there's a bit more resistance at the bottom-middle just above the BlackBerry and Return keys. And damn it, I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my devices!

So after reading what others had gone through with replacements, I called *611 and the rep immediately tried to tell me it was a software issue but would be fixed with new releases.

Of course I pointed out that this was a physical problem, and at that point - as if he was reading from an internal reference on when to replace and when not to - he said, "So let me make sure I understand - there's sort of a 'dead zone' in one part of the phone that doesn't physically click correctly?"

I said yes, he placed me on hold, and within 60 seconds he gave me a tracking number for my replacement.

I asked if there was a charge. "No sir, just ship the old one back in the box we provide with your replacement."

Really? There's no charge at all for this?

"No sir - just make sure you send back the phone within 10 days to avoid being charged for the replacement, that's all."

Okay, and what if the replacement is a dud? Can I ship THAT one back and get another replacement shipped?

"Yes, absolutely. Just call us and let us know if it's not acceptable. Send it back and we'll ship another one."

Okay. Today is Tuesday - what day can I expect the replacement?

"Let me check (pause)...Thursday."

So - being a call center manager myself - it sounds as if Verizon's call center reps are trained only to ship replacements under certain circumstances, and apparently the "dead zone" is one of them.

Gotta love first-call resolution!
    01-08-09 01:45 AM
    Agreed, I just called Verizon today and had to explain my problems... My green call button is wiggly and loose like a loose tooth. My screen has lots of play. My girlfriends Storm has barely any wiggle at all. Additionally, my screen is kinda hard to press down on.

I called Verizon and I had to tell them I want a new one. Then he said he has to check up on a list of known problems, because they wont ship our replacements on certain problems.

Anyways, mines getting shipped and should arrive Thur or Friday.
    01-08-09 01:54 AM
    Do you by chance know how much verizon will charge you if the replacment is not returned.
    01-08-09 11:33 AM
    Do you by chance know how much verizon will charge you if the replacment is not returned.
    Full price: $499.99
    01-08-09 11:36 AM
    Just make sure that if you had the Asurion warranty on the original that the replacement gets it too, because I replaced one of mine and when they transferred the service they didn't transfer the warranty. Once I got my first bill I realized they had taken it off.
    01-08-09 11:48 AM
    replacing phones can be both good and bad. I've had a horrible experience with replacements. My initial one had crunchy screen, so i had it replaced. My next two replacements (both built in late december in canada) had horrible issues with dust getting inside of the screen. My latest one is a Mexican model with well sealed screen (so far), but with really crappy clicking action compared to the canadian ones. I ended up just making a shim out of electrical tape on battery door, and so far it works a whole ton better, even though the clicking action is slightly different on the bottom.

IMO a crappy clicking screen is the easiest thing to fix yourself on this phone and not worth risking a replacement with badly sealed screen. Plus getting replacement after replacement is a huge pain in the arse and a biggest waste of time (going to the store, sitting on hold on the phone with verizon).
    01-08-09 12:34 PM
    I have a "day-one" unit, and am very reticent to replace it. So far, mechanically, it's fine. I just hope they don't "close a window" on these swaps...
    01-08-09 12:37 PM
    Verizon will replace phone as it is you're only 2 months into the 1 year manufacture warranty.

If you call in August, they will still send you one. It will be refurbished. I've asked for 2 replacements and not one charged. Went once into the store to replace a new Storm and no problem. They came out and gave me one fresh out of the box.
    01-08-09 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD