So I got the Storm. I won't bore you with the details as there's 500 posts about that... Oh, and FYI--there were only 12 Storms available this morning at the store I was at, so, so much for the "limited quantity for media hype" theory...

So how do we do we do a reset via the old CTRL+ALT+DEL method??? Answer: There's no ALT button. Seems like we can't. Get used to pulling the battery. But even MORE important to me is that you can't do the shortcuts and system commands related to ALT. In the past, I would ALT +C+N+F+G from the Enterprise Activation to re-activate my Blackberry to the company BES. That fixed wireless sync issues, etc.

I called Verizon and a rep said she was aware that this feature was omitted, but that RIM was working on adding it.

They have 30 days from today, or this Storm is heading back to Canada.
    11-21-08 12:53 PM
    Yep, I made a thread about this. I don't like it either... btw, are you sure your Storm is from Canada? Check under the battery cover and make sure you're not going to have to send it back to Mexico and also please vote in my "Where's your Storm Made" sticky thread please. Thanks.
    11-21-08 02:32 PM
    Oh sweet! I just got it to work.

Essentially, the 123 button is the old physical keyboard ALT button... So, if you want to do the over the air Enterprise Activation push for BES (without having your IT department set up a password), I FOUND OUT HOW TO DO IT using the old ALT +C+N+F+G method!

Press and hold the 123 key in Landscape mode until the lock icon appears. This is like holding the ALT button. Then, press "9 ! 6 /" .... That's it! The problem I was having was that on a physical old keyboard, the "N" corresponds to "," On this keyboard, N corresponds to !

If anyone is having problems with the BES Activation hanging up, this might help. Once you enter those key strokes, a menu comes up. Turn OFF wireless sync, then save and backout. Wait a minute or two. Then repeat the process and turn wireless sync ON. Save. Back out and wait. Enterprise Activation should start on its own. If it does not (which it didn't for me), pull the battery. When the device turns back on, it WILL do an activation.

I'm so happy.
    11-23-08 09:04 AM
    Now how to do the ALT+SHIFT+DEL reset? Hehe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 09:26 AM
    I wass use to doing Alt LGLG to clear my event log. Can you help me with that?
    11-23-08 09:29 AM
    I wass use to doing Alt LGLG to clear my event log. Can you help me with that?
    I figured out how to do this:

in Landscape mode on the keyboard press & hold 123 key until lock appears, THEN press "/"/ & the logs will appear & you can delete them at will!!!

Have Fun!!
    11-23-08 09:40 AM
    You're awesome. All the shortcut commands that I use with the alt work. Also all the shorkcuts in messages work, t for top b for bottom etc. I assigned the virtual keyboard to the convenience button and that helps. How did you figure that out. Is it documented somewhere? Maybe I need to read the manual. LOL!
    Last edited by fred900; 11-23-08 at 09:59 AM.
    11-23-08 09:51 AM
    I figured out how to do this:

in Landscape mode on the keyboard press & hold 123 key until lock appears, THEN press "/"/ & the logs will appear & you can delete them at will!!!

Have Fun!!

It's not working for me. I see the lock and press "/"/ but nothing happens. do i need to press enter or just wait a second. Do i need to be on the home screen.
    Last edited by sam123gil; 11-23-08 at 10:17 AM.
    11-23-08 10:11 AM
    You must be in Landscape mode for it to work.

OK, out of curiosity, what good is the Event Log viewer, and why do we go there so often? I opened it and it's friggin LOOOOOONG. I gave up after 20 finger swipes.

Which leads me to: "I hope the update includes an improved scrolling method for long pages..." Like the iphone rubber band effect (hopefully).
    11-23-08 10:34 AM
    Now how to do the ALT+SHIFT+DEL reset? Hehe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Doesn't seem possible because it required 3 keys held at a time. I hope there's a big obvious post if someone does find it.
    11-23-08 10:35 AM
    You're awesome. All the shortcut commands that I use with the alt work. Also all the shorkcuts in messages work, t for top b for bottom etc. I assigned the virtual keyboard to the convenience button and that helps. How did you figure that out. Is it documented somewhere? Maybe I need to read the manual. LOL!
    Actually I'm sure the OP is just like me. Just playing around with the phone & testing things to see what works & what doesn't. You're welcome. Have Fun with your Storm, I know I am !!!!
    11-23-08 10:37 AM
    ...Press and hold the 123 key in Landscape mode until the lock icon appears. This is like holding the ALT button. Then, press "9 ! 6 /" .... That's it! The problem I was having was that on a physical old keyboard, the "N" corresponds to "," On this keyboard, N corresponds to !

If anyone is having problems with the BES Activation hanging up, this might help. Once you enter those key strokes, a menu comes up. Turn OFF wireless sync, then save and backout. Wait a minute or two. Then repeat the process and turn wireless sync ON. Save. Back out and wait. Enterprise Activation should start on its own. If it does not (which it didn't for me), pull the battery. When the device turns back on, it WILL do an activation...
    This post was of great interest to me since I have an incomplete Enterprise Activation. However, I feel like a doofus. After pulling the battery, I followed the directions. I got the lock icon on the 123 key and entered the prescribed 9 ! 6 / sequence. No menu showed up.

Also PMI, but exactly how do you turn on and off wireless sync on this device?

Thanks in advance.

Update: You need to be in the Enterprise Activation screen for this to work. I am trying it now. I'll let you know
    Last edited by GenghisKhent; 11-23-08 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Update
    11-23-08 11:20 AM
    I am having issues with my Enterprise Activation hanging... it worked great on my Pearl for over a year before I bought the Storm on Friday. I have had our IT guys reset my activation password and then I even got them to remove my email from the BES and Re-add me. All the storm does is set there and say “Activating...", then it will say
    Retrying..." and it just keeps doing that repeatedly. Has anyone successfully gotten their storm to activate, and was there anything special that had to be done? I have WIPED this thing three times trying to get it to work.

Thanks,

Reese
    11-24-08 08:30 AM
    rewalker, as I think I mentioned in another thread where you posted, I called Verizon. The tech duplicated my exact issue on a virgin Storm they have. Apparently it is a BES server configuration issue. That's why some people can activate, others can't. I've asked the BES admins to contact RIM. I'll let you know when they get back to me.
    11-24-08 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD