I'm currently running .451, is it worth the upgrade to .517?

I'm just trying to save the trouble of reinstalling all the apps if there's not much of a difference.
    03-20-10 10:38 AM
    Never flashed a phone before, you guys make it easy. THANKS
    Went smooth once I deleted vendor file. After only a few hours seems faster, definitely types better.
    03-20-10 03:21 PM
    Two quick questions:

1) Generally how much longer until this is made available through Verizon directly and will it be the exact same thing?

More importantly for me:

2) Will I lose both of my email accounts currently setup on my S2? My work account was kind of a ***** to setup and I don't even remember how to do it since VZW phone support initially helped me set it up.

Thanks!
    03-20-10 04:21 PM
    wait so whats up with the lock button now?? its just putting it in sleep mode?? that sucks
    03-20-10 04:51 PM
    wait a minute i like how it locks it then goes straight back to the screen without going to that main looking screen, does this save battery life??
    03-20-10 04:53 PM
    I have a vzw storm 2 and im trying to find the apploader but the only thing i find close is application_loader.dll and its not a folder that i can open. I had the storm 1 and updated that thing what seemed like once a week at times so its not my first rodeo. Any suggestions? Thanks.

that is under-program files/rim/blackberry

after rim my only choices are blackberry or bb media sync
    Last edited by Jeepthing9; 03-20-10 at 08:08 PM.
    03-20-10 08:05 PM
    Just installed .517...so far it went real smooth. I just did a battery pull to see if it does anything; does seem to reboot faster. The browser definitely is faster. I had 5MB more memory. All my apps reinstalled, but I need a couple activation codes. The screen may feel a little better, but I was pleased before. So far, everything seems fine. Thanks to all of the help on CB; I just followed their instructions!
    03-20-10 09:00 PM
    I have a vzw storm 2 and im trying to find the apploader but the only thing i find close is application_loader.dll and its not a folder that i can open. I had the storm 1 and updated that thing what seemed like once a week at times so its not my first rodeo. Any suggestions? Thanks.

that is under-program files/rim/blackberry

after rim my only choices are blackberry or bb media sync
    because that is actually not the right folder. You can find it here. And don't forget to right click on it and "run as administrator" if you have vista or windows 7

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor

and here if you have a 64bit pc

C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Vendor
    03-20-10 10:51 PM
    Nice, I was running the stock .320 on VZW on my S2 (bought in November). Definitely snappier and the screen feels more responsive. I turned on the key indicators as well. nice touch.
    no probs yet. me likey.
    03-21-10 03:59 PM
    Two quick questions:

1) Generally how much longer until this is made available through Verizon directly and will it be the exact same thing?

More importantly for me:

2) Will I lose both of my email accounts currently setup on my S2? My work account was kind of a ***** to setup and I don't even remember how to do it since VZW phone support initially helped me set it up.

Thanks!
    Verizon may never release an official update, or they might do it tomorrow, though that's unlikely.

You should use DM to back up your phone before upgrading, but as long as you tell the upgrade to restore your data, your email accounts will still be there, working fine.
    03-21-10 07:35 PM
    Seems to be working A-OK

Heres' what I did

used bbm to backup

downloaded 517 and ran it (seemed nothing happened)

D:
    program files
    common files
    reseach in motion
    apploader

deleted -vendor

double clicked on loader and the rest was wonderful

easiest OS I've done
    03-21-10 07:42 PM
    It seems like my battery got worse. I really didn't notice a difference between 451 and 517 except for my battery issue.
    I hope in the next few days my battery life goes back to the way it was. Lol

Edit
    From what I noticed I have my brightness set to 10 and it seems like once in a while it defaults to a brighter settings, while it still says 10. Once I go back to options and reselect 10 my brightness goes down. I think my battery life is bad because my screen keeps going bright.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by stretch2k; 03-21-10 at 08:46 PM.
    03-21-10 08:14 PM
    So I took the plunge and updated to .517. So far I'm happy with it. The only thing when adding my apps back to the phone bbsak would not recognize the phone. I had to run cracutility to install my apps. Took a little longer but got them back.

So far a solid build but too early to tell.

03-21-10 08:56 PM
    All my apps loaded back in from the loader - worked fine
    03-21-10 09:00 PM
    Only a few added with the loader I had to install most of them. Another thing I noticed while in the browser it will check the spelling and insert a line under the word if its incorrect, if that's normal never really noticed it.

03-21-10 10:27 PM
    Spellcheck autocomplete bug is still present... since .451. This is really annoying.

Anyone know what COD can be replaced from .428 to fix this? I doubt it's sfi controlled.... I already tried replacing all spellcheck COD files that .428 had with .517, but that didn't help...
    03-22-10 10:43 AM
    I downloaded and installed the OS, went into apploader, and deleted the Vendor file, and when i went to install the OS on the phone, it wouldn't find it.
    03-22-10 03:51 PM
    Just upgraded and now I have the sms and mms on my today theme. I had them before I upgraded and was able to combine them with the main messages folder. Anyone know how to combine them to the main messages folder with the new upgrade? I don't like having the extra line on my home screen.
    03-22-10 04:02 PM
    Just updated my Storm 2 from .320. Man... what a difference! The screen is much more responsive. The battery life is amazing. I have not noticed any problems, just benefits. I'm very happy I upgraded.

I did have a few issues updating. I had to update the desktop software. I had attempted to install a leak a month or so ago. Apparently it was creating a conflict. Once I found the leak version in my uninstall programs, I uninstalled it and everything worked fine. It did take quite a few reboots and some trail and error.
    03-22-10 04:04 PM
    Just upgraded and now I have the sms and mms on my today theme. I had them before I upgraded and was able to combine them with the main messages folder. Anyone know how to combine them to the main messages folder with the new upgrade? I don't like having the extra line on my home screen.
    I always have mine combined. When I did the new install I went into 'messages', BB Key, Options, General Options, and then selected 'Combine', it was located between 'Hide Sent Messages' and 'Separtors', and it did the trick ... but now it's gone?? I just went to my GF's and checked her's (still on .320) and that option is still there.... Wierd.

I no longer have the option to switch it back, not that I need too.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

T
    03-22-10 09:44 PM
    I always have mine combined. When I did the new install I went into 'messages', BB Key, Options, General Options, and then selected 'Combine', it was located between 'Hide Sent Messages' and 'Separtors', and it did the trick ... but now it's gone?? I just went to my GF's and checked her's (still on .320) and that option is still there.... Wierd.

I no longer have the option to switch it back, not that I need too.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

T
    That's exactly what I'm running into. I used to have it combined, but can't do it anymore.....bummer
    03-22-10 11:03 PM
    I just updated to 517, where is the option to make the text popup like on the iphone? that's one of the biggest reasons for upgrading and i can't find it lol
    The .428 OS has this option...
    03-23-10 10:41 AM
    I just updated to 517, where is the option to make the text popup like on the iphone? that's one of the biggest reasons for upgrading and i can't find it lol
    It's under 'options', 'sceen/keyboard', scroll down o 'show Key Indicator' set to either 'Touch and Hold' or 'Always'
    03-23-10 01:26 PM
    This new OS that is on this forum appears to be for a Saskatchewan provider. Is that correct? Will it work with Verizon?

Muchas Gracias
    03-23-10 05:19 PM
    This new OS that is on this forum appears to be for a Saskatchewan provider. Is that correct? Will it work with Verizon?

Muchas Gracias
    Si, just delete the vendor.xml file.
    03-23-10 05:20 PM
205 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD