07-23-10 01:57 AM
115 ... 2345
tools
    @Andiah

Which version did you install in your device?
    Do you notice any difference in performance, especially battery life or the setbacks @jamesrj reported regaring bad battery life and GPS not working?
    04-20-10 11:27 AM
    Need assistance. I've been trying to install the DRM version on my S2 but I failed everytime. I've deleted the vendor.xml file prior to installing the OS into my pc. When I use the Desktop manager it just shows the previous version and my current version (.497). Am I installing the wrong version?

Now if I would want to try to install the Non-DRM version, what o I need to do with the DRM OS I have installed previously? Do I just need to uninstall? Is there any other things I have to do?

I am using a S2 I bought from a local carrier in Malaysia (Celcom) but I am using a different carrier (Maxis). Please advise...
    04-21-10 02:03 AM
    @Andiah

Which version did you install in your device?
    Do you notice any difference in performance, especially battery life or the setbacks @jamesrj reported regaring bad battery life and GPS not working?
    @FunkyDog,

I installed the DRM (VF Egypt) version, since I have a VF Germany branded 9520. It installed flawlessly and is running very satisfactory so far. Also see my post #39.
    Battery life is absolutely OK. With a fully charged battery I can get along about 48h on medium to heavy use. GPS is also no issue for me. I still recommend .580 over .497 with a snow-white conscience.

@supersonic,

try the noDRM (Zain Jordan) version instead. Make sure before installation of the new OS, that you uninstalled ALL previous 9520 OSs from your PC and delete the possible rest of your OS folder under C:Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/Shared/Loader Files/Your OS folder. If there is no folder anymore, forget about the deleting OS folder.
    Backup your phone with DM. Wipe your phone with BBSAK 1.7 (can also backup 3rd Party Apps) or JL_Commander, if you don't have it, please google it.
    And install your new OS to your phone by double clicking Loader.exe in the folder C:Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader. But before you do this, also delete the vendor.xml file in the same folder.
    Or use this very easy to follow instruction.

Good Luck!
    04-21-10 03:34 AM
    Need assistance. I've been trying to install the DRM version on my S2 but I failed everytime. I've deleted the vendor.xml file prior to installing the OS into my pc. When I use the Desktop manager it just shows the previous version and my current version (.497). Am I installing the wrong version?

Now if I would want to try to install the Non-DRM version, what o I need to do with the DRM OS I have installed previously? Do I just need to uninstall? Is there any other things I have to do?

I am using a S2 I bought from a local carrier in Malaysia (Celcom) but I am using a different carrier (Maxis). Please advise...
    I recommend that you disconnect from the internet before firing up Desktop Manager and keep disconnected during the full update procedure until it is completed. I guess that will do the trick.

Regards,

AlwaysTB
    04-21-10 03:35 AM

Celcom uses the noDRM version

Tried using the one that was released from Zain Jordan
    04-21-10 03:36 AM
    @supersonic,

try the noDRM (Zain Jordan) version instead. Make sure before installation of the new OS, that you uninstalled ALL previous 9520 OSs from your PC and delete the possible rest of your OS folder under C:Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/Shared/Loader Files/Your OS folder. If there is no folder anymore, forget about the deleting OS folder.
    Backup your phone with DM. Wipe your phone with BBSAK 1.7 (can also backup 3rd Party Apps) or JL_Commander, if you don't have it, please google it.
    And install your new OS to your phone by double clicking Loader.exe in the folder C:Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader. But before you do this, also delete the vendor.xml file in the same folder.
    Or use this very easy to follow instruction.

Good Luck!
    Thanks Andiah for your advice. I'm a little nervous about wiping my device. Total noobie here. Hehehe. Can i install the new OS without doing the wipe? And if the answer is no, can I just use the built in wipe application in my BB? OMG, It's a little worrying for a noobie like me to do all this...

I recommend that you disconnect from the internet before firing up Desktop Manager and keep disconnected during the full update procedure until it is completed. I guess that will do the trick.

Regards,

AlwaysTB
    TB, will look into that if Andiah's method doesn't work.

Celcom uses the noDRM version

Tried using the one that was released from Zain Jordan
    Thanks riv, Downloading it now. So slow....
    04-21-10 03:43 AM
    @supersonic,

a low level wipe with BBSAK or JL_Commander is IMO always better, but there are many opinions out there. It depends on what kind of OS you've been using before.
    Assuming, that you haven't messed around with hybrids yet and your previous OS was a official release, it should be OK not to wipe prior to loading your new OS. But I strongly recommend, that you backup your phone with DM anyway.
    04-21-10 03:53 AM
    @Andiah

I have not installed any Hybrids before. I am only using official OS currently .497. I don't even know a thing about hybrids..LOL.

I will backup with DM without doing a wipe to install. Is that what you suggested? If yes, right after my download completes I will let you know. Thanks alot for your help mate!

Cheers!
    04-21-10 03:58 AM
    ...and please also have a look into the link I gave you further up the page about installing an OS...!
    04-21-10 05:09 AM
    I still failed installing the new OS. Followed every instructions given on the Blackberry 101 but still failed.

This is what I did. I deleted the vendor.xml file in the Apploader folder. Then I installed the Zain_Jordan OS. Installation went fine.

It went into Desktop Manager and was doing some checking. But the problem is that it did not detect the updated OS.

Someone please help. I'm getting frustrated here.
    04-21-10 06:20 AM
    @supersonic1476

I checked today and confirmed that Celcom is using a no-DRM version of Vodafone's device. Apparently Vodafone's partner networks in Asia gets no-DRM version while those they operate directly including Australia and NZ is DRM.

Andiah's instructions are clear. These are the exact steps I use myself. Wipe the device clean (not entirely necessary), delete off previous OS folders on your computer, delete vendor.xml and use loader.exe in Apploader subdir to load the OS. Do a wipe first. The other thing is, DO NOT open Desktop Manager all the way and disconnect from the internet.
    04-21-10 11:02 AM
    Ok.. Managed to install.. The mistake I did was I did not delete the vendor.xml file before installing to my device. I did it before installing to my PC.. Now problem solved and I can try the new OS. Thanks guys for your help.
    04-22-10 03:41 AM
    Good to be of help. Please report any marked improvements in performance and battery life?
    04-23-10 10:46 AM
    Can someone please explain to me the difference between a DRM vs a non-DRM os? Thanks.
    04-23-10 10:46 AM
    Just installed Vodafone Egypt OS.
    Seems some problems with GPS on generic screen Options - Advanced - GPS - Refresh GPS option. Have to keep retrying. Looks ok with GPSed and Foursquare.

Anyone noticed the lock device key is missing? I can't find mine!
    04-24-10 02:51 AM
    the lock key icon was deleted in 497. Use the top left button on the phone- its now instantaneous
    04-24-10 09:24 PM
    @swamprat96 - thanks for the info. Reason I asked was to overly avoid using the physical button in case it breaks one day. We already use it to unlock the device. Now its double usage to lock it as well.
    Any idea if there's an app that would automatically lock the device as if we were pressing the Power button that would be compatible with OS .580? Seems some lock/standby apps are now incompatible with the new OS.
    04-24-10 10:23 PM
    berryslider or patternlock. Haven't tried either yet but both have their fans
    04-26-10 09:37 PM
    Berryslider or PatternLock does not go into Standby mode. You still can hit the screen and it comes on again, unlike the case where you Lock the device and the screen goes firm and hard, and the only way to unlock is to hit the Power button. I'm looking for something like this. I've used Berryslider before and it sucks memory and battery life. Patternlock is nice but not exactly what I'm looking for.
    04-26-10 10:23 PM
    Man this update blazes! I highly recommend this one.
    04-30-10 05:11 PM
    did they fix the radio problem

I was always getting a bad signal but not always in the same place

now i can use this phone anywhere and without hitch.
    last week whilst out in the middle of nowhere the iphoners amongst us were not getting a signal but i was
    05-02-10 04:08 AM
    Radio receiving seems improved for me too. Its much more stable on 3G.
    05-02-10 05:26 AM
    I just found this from the AIS Thailand downloads section:

Software For BlackBerry® Storm 2 (TM) smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1024 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 5.0.0.1024
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 5.0.0.607
    * Software Platform: 4.2.0.275
    * File name: 9520_omanodrmjEastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1024_PL4.2.0.27 5_A5.0.0.607_AIS_Thailand.exe
    * File size: 131.14MB

Don't know how to get a direct link to the file though.
    05-02-10 08:21 AM
    I think a few people might be waiting for the next leaks to go official bearing in mind the mixed responses 607 got.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-02-10 09:15 AM
    Also - whilst my 580 is working so well I'm going to have to be persauded to move on.

I might just wait to see of OS 6 comes to the 9520 before I go away from my current set up which is doing me just fine

05-02-10 09:23 AM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD