To be honest my first battery was crap and was getting worse, so I got a new one from voda uk and its been great...so I'm wondering if RIM are making better batteries now?

I dunno but this new battery is about 2 wks old now and mixed with new os...its really good!

Defo a keeper!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 09:51 AM
    Bit of a newb here. I'm on vodafone UK and have downloaded the drm version, do I need to delete the vendor.xml file or not ?
    04-11-10 03:56 PM
    yep delete it
    04-12-10 01:11 AM
    Cool thank you. Updated and running well so far.
    04-12-10 03:11 AM
    Bit of a newb here. I'm on vodafone UK and have downloaded the drm version, do I need to delete the vendor.xml file or not ?
    Hi, what is the difference between DRM and No DRM? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 03:16 AM
    Has anyone a better download link? The one posted on the first page is very sloooooow. It works with 3kb/s. Its a shame.
    04-12-10 07:18 AM
    Has anyone a better download link? The one posted on the first page is very sloooooow. It works with 3kb/s. Its a shame.
    Both are official links so you should at least get 1MG a second.

There is also a 'nodrm' version of 5.0.0.612 leaked now.
    04-12-10 07:48 AM
    No DRM is a no-no for me because I am on vodafone. Related to the link it really goes only with 3kb/s. I tried some other downloads (not related to Bb) and all work fine.
    04-12-10 08:04 AM
    Can someone teach me how to delete the "vendor.xml" file?

Tq
    04-14-10 08:59 AM
    Can someone teach me how to delete the "vendor.xml" file?

Tq
    General Tips

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series

More specfic to your request.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    04-14-10 10:25 AM
    Battery life doesnt seem great, fully charged at 7am made one phone call ( 5 mins ) 6 texts. Its now 19.41, 7 hours 41 mins later and battery meter showing just over 1/5th left.
    Screen brightness at 10% and wifi and bluetooth off.
    04-17-10 01:42 PM
    Both are official links so you should at least get 1MG a second.

There is also a 'nodrm' version of 5.0.0.612 leaked now.
    Where

Found it
    This is a leak "Please use CAUTION when Installing leaked software as for its not Official and can Damage your phone!"

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

it's no DRM version
    Last edited by Nedooo; 04-18-10 at 08:38 AM.
    04-18-10 04:50 AM
    I've a fully unlocked Vodafone Storm2 from the UK but using it on a 3rd party carrier in Malaysia.
    Should I use the DRM or non-DRM version of the new OS?
    04-19-10 10:23 PM
    Use the DRM version. Unlocked doesn't mean noDRM. Vodafone UK among almost all other VF branded 9520s are DRM. The network you're on doesn't matter as well. Just remember to delete the vendor.xml

Thanks Vodafone for the fun!
    04-19-10 11:08 PM
    Thanks for the info.
    Where I am now, only Celcom and SingTel has Storm2. And this DRM issue is certainly unheard of here. Some of SingTel's personnel doesn't even know what is DRM!!
    Strangely, I've installed a non-DRM OS from another carrier (don't remember which one) some time back on my Storm2 and it works! And I'm still using it till this very moment. Any idea why so?
    04-19-10 11:14 PM
    I am Malaysia and am currently using Storm2 which I bought from a local carrier (Celcom). It has vodafone tattooed on the bottom, does it mean it's DRM or Non DRM? Just want to make sure. I am currently using Maxis.
    04-19-10 11:33 PM
    @supersonic1476 -

When you boot up and turn off the phone, does it show Vodafone or Celcom logo? There may be a chance its DRM as Celcom's devices are sourced from Vodafone and even their version Desktop Manager is slightly different.

Now, I do know there's a method you can apply to find out if the device is DRM or non-DRM but may no longer work with the newer OS.
    If you have an OS installed on your PC and the same OS on your device, go to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\(Your OS folder)\CDMA\

If you see a file which reads rim0x0D001404.sfi, then you have DRM and you can only install DRM OSs.
    If you see rim0x0E001404.sfi, then you're in luck! You've got a no-DRM device and can load any OS for your 9520, no matter DRM or no-DRM.
    Good luck!
    04-19-10 11:48 PM
    My device is from Vodafone UK but seems to be non-DRM.
    Now the issue is whether I should load the new DRM OS from Vodafone Egypt or the non-DRM version from Zain Jordan?
    Would loading a DRM OS on a non-DRM device makes it DRM permanently? (stooopid question but I'd like to hear suggestions)
    Any suggestions?
    04-19-10 11:50 PM
    @supersonic1476 -

When you boot up and turn off the phone, does it show Vodafone or Celcom logo? There may be a chance its DRM as Celcom's devices are sourced from Vodafone and even their version Desktop Manager is slightly different.

Now, I do know there's a method you can apply to find out if the device is DRM or non-DRM but may no longer work with the newer OS.
    If you have an OS installed on your PC and the same OS on your device, go to

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\(Your OS folder)\CDMA\

If you see a file which reads rim0x0D001404.sfi, then you have DRM and you can only install DRM OSs.
    If you see rim0x0E001404.sfi, then you're in luck! You've got a no-DRM device and can load any OS for your 9520, no matter DRM or no-DRM.
    Good luck!
    @FunkyDog

When I reboot my phone it shows the Vodafone logo. Does it mean mine is the DRM? Please advise.

And one more thing, if it's DRM which OS could I load from this thread? I'm getting sick of my current OS .497
    04-19-10 11:59 PM
    @FunkyDog

When I reboot my phone it shows the Vodafone logo. Does it mean mine is the DRM? Please advise.

And one more thing, if it's DRM which OS could I load from this thread? I'm getting sick of my current OS .497

How I do it, you just need to check if you have the rim0x0D001404.sfi or rim0x0E001404.sfi. Note the difference is a D or E in the filename. That's how we can determine if the OS is DRM or non-DRM.

* Anyone care to help me and post a suggestion as to the best choice for my device would be the OS from Vodafone Egypt or Zain Jordan? *
    04-20-10 12:10 AM
    @FunkyDog,

Singtel has definitely noDRM! Why should they bother to be informed about DRM?
    If you're sure, that your device is a noDRM, then choose the Zain Jordan file just to be sure. Even I do not believe that you will "contaminate" your phone with DRM, if you're loading the VF Egypt version.
    But if it's a DRM 9520 after all (which all VF UK, Europe and some others are - you would be the first who has a noDRM VF UK 9520), you will be unable to load the Zain Jordan (noDRM) version, because the ApplicationWizard will not recognize your new OS and will tell you something like: "there is no available software for your phone".
    Both OSs are exactly the same except of this tiny, annoying Digital-Rights-Management-Thingy.
    Anyway, you cannot break anything. The worst that can happen is, that you have to wipe your phone, and reinstall and reload the right OS.

@supersonic,

Celcom offers the noDRM version for their 9520. So if you bought your 9520 from an authorized Celcom dealer, then you should be good to go with the noDRM Zain Jordan. Just delete the vendor.xml prior to loading to your phone. If you should be getting into any trouble like mentioned above with your loader.exe not recognizing your new OS, then wipe your phone uninstall OS and reinstall the VF Egypt version.
    Last edited by Andiah; 04-20-10 at 02:47 AM.
    04-20-10 02:26 AM
    Ive gone back to .497 as battery life was terrible on egyption firmware and also gps wouldnt work.

Gps now working and battery life greatly improved.
    04-20-10 03:24 AM
    Thanks jamesrj on your warning regarding VD Egypt firmware which comes as a surprise. Anyone care to comment on this, especially battery life which is an issue with Storm2 users?

And truly this, my Vodafone 9520 is actually non-DRM from how I check in the software update version!!
    04-20-10 04:23 AM

And truly this, my Vodafone 9520 is actually non-DRM from how I check in the software update version!!
    Well, good for you! Then you should also know, which OS version to load.
    04-20-10 04:50 AM
    Thanks for the download OP!
    04-20-10 07:30 AM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD