I have seen the multiple posts waiting and begging for Verizon to release an OS update. I like many of you am a Newbie. My Storm is my first Blackberry and I have had it since March 2009. Since I'm a newbie, I always let the warnings to follow the guides at my own risk stop me from installing a leaked version and wait for Verizon.

Well, I finally got frustrated enough with Verizon to take the Leaked OS plunge. I fully read through the NOOB Help Guide written by olta777 with links to other Help guides from Rooster, Crucual_Xtreme and others. This NOOB Help Guide is phenomenal and helped me to get upgraded to version 148 in about an hour. Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to the NOOB Help Guide!!!!!

I wanted to let the other Newbie's that the process is relatively simple and encourage all the Newbie's out there to stop waiting for Verizon and take the leaked OS plunge. I took the precaution of backing up my data and the third party apps I had purchased. I did not need to follow the "How to Backup 3rd Parth apps" since I had purchased all my third party apps on the Crackberry Store and was able to download files from the Crackberry store.

Taking the precaution of backing up my data was crucial in my case. When the upgrade process initially tried to restore my data, it failed BUT encouraged me to use DM to restore my data. That restore process worked and I was in business within the hour.

The only issues I have run into with the 148 release is my battery life seems to be shorter. I'm following the other posts about 148 battery life and things seem to be improving. Improvements I have seen so far:
    1) Available memory is much better - had 19KB before the upgrade and have 35KB now
    2) Many functions perform much faster (camera, switching from portriat to landscape, browser, etc)
    3) Full keyboard in portrait mode
    4) No more crashes (at least so far).

Obviously, your mileage may vary (Just because it worked well for me does not guarantee it will work well for you). But if you are letting the warnings scare you, I just wanted to let you know about my successful experience as a Newbie updating to a leaked OS.

So if you have the urge to post a message that you just talked to a Verizon rep who told you that an upgrade should be available any day now, stop yourself, print out the NOOB guides and take the Leaked OS plunge!!!!
    05-28-09 09:06 PM
    Noob read the front page way to write a paragraph worth of stupid
    Edit you should still upgrade op has a point there
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Emerson098; 05-28-09 at 09:14 PM.
    05-28-09 09:11 PM
    A lot of people don't get too into the problems to do all the tech stuff to upgrade, and there are people who can live with .75, and hopefully there is an OFFICIAL OS release this weekend, so your "noobs" don't have much to worry about.
    05-28-09 09:14 PM
    .148 goes official this weekend.
    05-28-09 09:23 PM
    i agree with you these dudes are total NOOBS!!!!!!!!
    05-28-09 09:42 PM
    I also an a total NOOB (bought my 9530 yesterday, first Berry), but took the plunge last night and installed Lyridical's .148/5.0 hybrid. Granted I'm fairly tech savvy, but the process was very straightforward and I'm happy with the result.
    05-28-09 10:19 PM
    Just imagine how many noobs will come out of the woodworks if there is an official release. You
    Think there are allot of useless posts now well just wait.

05-28-09 10:48 PM
    Newbies. There is no apostrophe.
    05-28-09 10:57 PM
    lol at arguing l33t speek. And some who beg aren't n00bs...they just can't put something leaked on their berry.
    05-28-09 11:01 PM
    Just imagine how many noobs will come out of the woodworks if there is an official release. You
    Think there are allot of useless posts now well just wait.

Everybody was a newbie at some point...I am one now. I am very happy with my Storm, which I purchased about three weeks ago...No problems with it, except for the laggy phone.

I am sure I speak for many when I say I am happy to wait for an official version of the upgrade. Maybe when I become MUCH more familiar with the inner workings of upgrading will I try some of the more "exotic" changes....

Patiently waiting for .148....

Best to all,

Steve in So Cal
    05-28-09 11:11 PM
    Wow....It's def. a pointless thread. BUT he has some good points in his rant.... Such as people who have .75 on their phone should not come on the forums and complain about it since there is nothing anyone can do about it and they could easily upgrade to a leak. So I guess what i am saying is that I agree with every post on this thread INCLUDING the first post. =)
    05-29-09 01:27 AM
    Wow....It's def. a pointless thread. BUT he has some good points in his rant.... Such as people who have .75 on their phone should not come on the forums and complain about it since there is nothing anyone can do about it and they could easily upgrade to a leak. So I guess what i am saying is that I agree with every post on this thread INCLUDING the first post. =)
    You should run for office!
    05-29-09 01:35 AM
    You should run for office!
    Haha thank you! Very amusing.
    05-29-09 01:42 AM
    +1
    +1
    +1
    Noobs--get a hybrid, it will change your life
    05-29-09 02:50 AM
    LOL well the wait is over for us newbies I guess...about time!
    05-29-09 02:15 PM
    LOL well the wait is over for us newbies I guess...about time!

yeah pretty much....except i'm not gonna bother to wait for the dl on blackberry's site......since it's approved it's now on my phone.
    05-29-09 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD