Good afternoon all, I've had my storm for 2 days now and am on the VZW network.* I came over from Sprint and the treo 800w and so far am loving the phone.* I do have some questions that may or may not help me like this phone a bit more.

1)* On the treo, you were able to just start typing a name of a person on the home screen and it would bring up contacts.* On the storm, I can't see any way to start typing a name with less than 3 clicks first (click phone, click keyboard, type.... OR click contacts, click keyboard, type).* Since a phone is the primary function of this, I was wondering if I'm missing something or is this just life with the storm?

2) Music as ringtones....is there a way to start a ringtone with a song part way through the file?* Many songs have a slow startup and by the time you hear it, you've already missed ~4 seconds of it ringing.* If I could start it at a guitar riff or something, this would be a lot easier.* Is this native to the storm or would you have to edit the file in a 3rd party program?* If a 3rd party program is required, is there a free program for that?

3) I was given a Verizon email when I bought the phone...I have no visible need of this email (I have two I check with my company).* If I delete this email off of my phone, will I loose any functionality?* (i.e. did VZW put this on my phone because it's needed, or just because it was a freebie?)

4) Is there a way to DELETE the navigator?* I won't be paying for that service and therefore it is taking up room.* I have it hidden now, but it still bothers me knowing it's there and will never be used.

5) Last question, does it help performance to hide unused items?* I read that as a hint here somewhere but wanted to know if it did anything?*

I'll start searching through the mountain of knowledge you have here...sorry if I asked questions that have been asked 100 times before but as a complete newb to the storm, I thought a complete post with my questions would be best.Thank you.
    03-16-09 02:55 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

I am by no means an expert (i came from a treo 700w) , but I'll do my best since your post has sat unanswered for so long.

#1) Not that I'm aware of. If you hit your Phone button, then the menu key, then select options you can select the default intital view.

#2) Your best bet is ggrab a cheap editor and edit the ringtone down to what you want. My PC ame with a Creative wave editor so i took some school house rock MP3s, & edited them down to the section i wanted, saved thenm under anoteh name & then set as ring tones.

#3) as far as I know you could delete it, but since it is doing no harm, I'd just hide it. never know when you may need a spare Email account.

#4) believe it or not that isn't the navigator, but a shortcut to downlaod and install the navigator. You can delete it but it is a bit technical. read this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/

#5)I can't say for sure, but it make sense from a rendering stand point. In earlier OS buids if you kept the Landscape icons to 12 or less the blue higlight would follow your finger on the screen
    03-17-09 12:12 PM
    Good afternoon all, I've had my storm for 2 days now and am on the VZW network.* I came over from Sprint and the treo 800w and so far am loving the phone.* I do have some questions that may or may not help me like this phone a bit more.

1)* On the treo, you were able to just start typing a name of a person on the home screen and it would bring up contacts.* On the storm, I can't see any way to start typing a name with less than 3 clicks first (click phone, click keyboard, type.... OR click contacts, click keyboard, type).* Since a phone is the primary function of this, I was wondering if I'm missing something or is this just life with the storm?

2) Music as ringtones....is there a way to start a ringtone with a song part way through the file?* Many songs have a slow startup and by the time you hear it, you've already missed ~4 seconds of it ringing.* If I could start it at a guitar riff or something, this would be a lot easier.* Is this native to the storm or would you have to edit the file in a 3rd party program?* If a 3rd party program is required, is there a free program for that?

3) I was given a Verizon email when I bought the phone...I have no visible need of this email (I have two I check with my company).* If I delete this email off of my phone, will I loose any functionality?* (i.e. did VZW put this on my phone because it's needed, or just because it was a freebie?)

4) Is there a way to DELETE the navigator?* I won't be paying for that service and therefore it is taking up room.* I have it hidden now, but it still bothers me knowing it's there and will never be used.

5) Last question, does it help performance to hide unused items?* I read that as a hint here somewhere but wanted to know if it did anything?*

I'll start searching through the mountain of knowledge you have here...sorry if I asked questions that have been asked 100 times before but as a complete newb to the storm, I thought a complete post with my questions would be best.Thank you.
    For the phone you can press the green send button and when the dial pad comes up pressit again and hold it til you see the contacts list.

For ringtones you can go to myxer,com from you computer and regiter with them. You can upload music and edit however you want and have a link sent back to you via txt to download you completed ringtone.

The email address comes with BIS (Blackberry Internet Service).

I dont know if hiding helps, but you can delete the app or any app by going to options/advanced options/applications and select app then click bb key and delete.
    03-18-09 09:16 PM
    First welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm.

Currently there is no way to do the same type of shortcut that exists with the treo. The best you can do is using either method that you stated.

I have used a program called Audacity to create my ringtones for the longest time. I suggest the following thread to help you with creating your ringtones.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f15/how...3-songs-30377/

You can remove the address from you BB if you want. Just log into the BIS website (https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw) or use the email settings app on the BB to remove the address.

Make sure that the app is actually installed and it isn't just the installer icon. You can check this by going to Options> Advanced Options> Applications and looking for VZ Navigator in the list. If it doesn't appear, then the app isn't installed on your BB.

As already stated, it does help performance if you hide icons and also if you place the icons into different folders. This will reduce the loading of the home screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 11:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD