Hi,

I'm new(this is my first post...after reading like 1000 other posts).

I used to be an iPhone fanatic - now switched to BB 9500 and i'm trying to get the most out of this new experience.

I've read all FAQ, like 100 tutorials/how to's(i figured out how to install some apps through DM). I've thought and tried a lot on both PC and MAC - but I just can't understand a couple of things - so I'll just ask, with great faith in getting good, easy-to-read-for-a-newbie answers.

I bought the BB 9500 in Germany from Vodafone.
    I live in Poland. I'm using Plus GSM and Play Mobile.

I don't have any browser and I don't have a button to setup my email account.

When I go to:
    options->browser
    or ->host routing table (when i try to "Register now" - i don't get any response)
    or ->default services
    or ->service book
    ..... i get a blank list

Setting up my TCP/IP doesn't help.

Now finally the questions :
    1. How do I get any browser?
    2. How can I set up my email ? (when i go to setup->setup wizard->email setup - the only option i there is "I want to use a work email account with BES" - which I, being a gmail user, naturaly don't want)
    3. Is there backgammon for the storm ? seriously
    4. is there any offline navigation?

Sorry for the size of this thread/question - but I'd really like to start using my storm the way it should be used.
    03-21-09 10:25 PM
    Looks like you may need to read the 101 lecture series. I think you can find most of your answers there. If you still have questions...feel free to ask.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...lecture+series
    03-21-09 10:44 PM
    i cant help, but i wish you luck finding out. hope it works out.
    03-21-09 10:58 PM
    Good luck. At least you have tried to educate yourself on the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 11:10 PM
    Its an unlocked phone , so you need to download the service books. Not sure what carrier you are using but there are forums here that will help you get your browser back. Its def service books related problem.
    03-22-09 04:34 AM
    Looks like you may need to read the 101 lecture series. I think you can find most of your answers there. If you still have questions...feel free to ask.
    i've started reading the 101 but still haven't found the anwsers.

Is there any way to build my own service books ?

Is this something that I will have to do everytime I switch my network? for fu***s sake thats just more stupid than the iphone synchronization with 1 music library and not working bluetooth.

I'm really frustrated and am starting to regret buying this piece of junk.

thanks for the good wishes, but without anwsers I doubt I'll get anywhere.
    03-22-09 08:22 AM
    Its an unlocked phone , so you need to download the service books. Not sure what carrier you are using but there are forums here that will help you get your browser back. Its def service books related problem.
    yes, its an unlocked phone.

But how else do I download the service books if not through "Host routing tables -> Register now" ? When I do that it says that it sent the message but I don't get any reply... :/

Is there any manual way I can do this? ex. take a AT&T service book and edit some lines?

Is there something like SSH on the storm ?
    03-22-09 08:24 AM
    I just inserted a ORANGE PL sim card.

I automatically got a browser and the ability to send MMS.

In service books I now got a bunch of things.

Is there any way to keep these settings on a different sim ?
    03-22-09 08:56 AM
    welcome to crackberry
    03-22-09 09:19 AM
    The service books come from the carrier so you would need different service books depending on what carrier you are using. Also you would obviously need the proper data plan with each carrier to access BIS. If you log into BIS for each carrier you can click a button and send service books to the device. I have no experience swapping back and forth between carriers but you should be able to swap SIM cards, log into BIS, send service books, and be good to go. You should also be able to register with the network through the host routing table as you mentioned.

Best of luck!
    03-22-09 10:30 AM
    Maru - your problems are not with the phone itself but rather your data and mobile carriers.

First of all the phone must be unlocked to change from Germany to Poland and second your carrier in Poland (or Germany if you prefer) needs to sync you.
    03-22-09 11:38 AM
    welcome to crackberry
    damn i love people like you. Used to be one of those on iPhone forums.

Morganizer - thanks. This explains a bit, but I have to admit that I think the biggest problem is - that the american and european(or at least Polish) mentalities are so different. Here - for a phone, to be dependant from its operater - is crazy and very rare.

And to have to have a data plan to access BIS? isn't that just pure violation of free will ?

ChrisH72 - the phone is unlocked.

Ok, a small update.

Today I actually got online with Orange PL and PLAY. But with Orange I had the Browser, which allowed me to download Opera Mini. After swapping my card to PLAY - I lost the BB Browser.. but luckly the Opera Mini worked (with some minor bugs).

I also managed to download Google Maps - but it freezes forever while prompting me with some kind of "terms of use" - so I can't check if it actually works :/

So now a tougher set of questions:
    1. how to set up my private email account? ex. gmail ? (i get only an option of a business account)
    2. is it possible to save the service books somewhere?
    03-22-09 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD