I purchased the 9530 and am very happy with it so far, though I would rate my smart phone/computer skills at about 6/10. I had a few questions regarding the CD that came with the phone.
    What is the benefit of installing this on my PC?
    Is it just for using the PC for automatic updates and installing music?
    Also, regarding updates will I automatically be notified or do I have to plug in and search with my PC?
    Do I need to convert my music (currenlty Itunes) to another format to upload MP3ís?

Any other recommendations for a newbie?

Thanks,
    KevD
    02-18-09 01:01 PM
    the Desktop manager that's on the CD is good for backing up and restoring your phone (very handy, if something happens to your device, restoring a backup restores almost everyone ont he device) and synching information wit programs like Outlook. You can also use it to install applications on your phone if there isn't an OTA method. It comes with Roxio which you CAN use for installing music, but some people have problems with it. There are other ways to install music.

You can set DM to look for updates each time you start it up, but RIM has also set up a way to deliver updates OTA, so you will be notified on the phone too when an update is available.

I recommend installing it and at least getting youself somewhat familiarized with it. There are some things that can only be done with DM.

As to your iTunes. You'll have to remove the DRM from the music, if you don't have the iTunes Plus stuff. There's a forum post here that has instructions on it.
    02-18-09 01:23 PM
    Cool, thanks.
    02-18-09 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD