got my Storm a few days ago and I am very pleased with it. It performs better than many of the things I have heard...well at least until now. I loaded some pictures and one video on the memory card. the Storm is very slow swiping through the pictures and it seems the overall performance of the phone has started to slip, slowing down considerably. Anything I can do to reverse this, short of taking the pictures off? Also can I expect this to worsen if I add my library of music to the card?
    06-04-09 12:26 PM
    i would just take the pictures off
    06-04-09 12:36 PM
    Well that is counter intuitive to what this phones was designed for. Not B****ing, just making a calculated observation. So if I add my music library from iTunes, I can expect the same thing? Are there apps I can delete that are memory hogs or something? I remember reading some threads but upon searching cannot find the same threads.
    06-04-09 12:38 PM
    Well that is counter intuitive to what this phones was designed for. Not B****ing, just making a calculated observation. So if I add my music library from iTunes, I can expect the same thing? Are there apps I can delete that are memory hogs or something? I remember reading some threads but upon searching cannot find the same threads.

Apps are usual the suspect for slowing down any smart phone. What app do you have running right now? For a quick check press and hold the bb button.
    06-04-09 12:54 PM
    First off, what OS are you on

Second, go to Options > Advanced > Applications: List Everything in there

Third, your card is not the problem. Mine is full and no issues

Fourth, when was your last battery pull, give that a shot and see if it helps
    06-04-09 12:54 PM
    The Verizon loaded apps are the most common resource hogs .... vz navigator and whatever else is provided by them.
    06-04-09 12:56 PM
    Apps are usual the suspect for slowing down any smart phone. What app do you have running right now? For a quick check press and hold the bb button.
    Right now it looks like I am running Viigo. There are other icons on the quick select menu but those are always there as options to choose. I am not running those. But I also see the browser, messages, phone, and home when I hold BB button down.
    06-04-09 12:57 PM
    First off, what OS are you on

Second, go to Options > Advanced > Applications: List Everything in there

Third, your card is not the problem. Mine is full and no issues

Fourth, when was your last battery pull, give that a shot and see if it helps
    I am on the latest legit OS (.148)

BB 4.7 Core, 4.7 System, App World, App Center, Attachment Service, BB Maps, BB Msngr, BrickBreaker, Browser, Carnival of Souls Comic, Docs to go, Email setup app, Help, IheartRadio, MemoPad, Passwrd Keeper, Phone, Skyscape medical resource, Tasks, V Cast Music, Viigo, Visual Voice Mail, Word Mole

Thanks for the card Info

Battery Pull today at about 11 am Eastern (it is now 2 Pm Eastern)
    06-04-09 01:02 PM
    Right now it looks like I am running Viigo. There are other icons on the quick select menu but those are always there as options to choose. I am not running those. But I also see the browser, messages, phone, and home when I hold BB button down.
    Viiago is a memory hog, you better turn that one off if you are not using it. Press the bb menu botton and close it. Just don't use the back button.

As for the other ones those apps are always running. No need to turn them off.

Moviemogul also brought up some goods tips as well.

One thing I forgot to ask, are you sure you saved your pictures & videos on the your sd card. It is a common mistake that people make, they thought they stored their stuff on the sd card but it is actually in the device memory instead
    06-04-09 01:06 PM
    I am on the latest legit OS (.148)

BB 4.7 Core, 4.7 System, App World, App Center, Attachment Service, BB Maps, BB Msngr, BrickBreaker, Browser, Carnival of Souls Comic, Docs to go, Email setup app, Help, IheartRadio, MemoPad, Passwrd Keeper, Phone, Skyscape medical resource, Tasks, V Cast Music, Viigo, Visual Voice Mail, Word Mole

Thanks for the card Info

Battery Pull today at about 11 am Eastern (it is now 2 Pm Eastern)
    Go to:

Options > Memory

What does it say for "Application Memory"?

Also, I would get rid of Viigo, VVM, V Cast, Passwor Keeper, Docs To Go, App World, App Center
    06-04-09 01:07 PM
    Viiago is a memory hog, you better turn that one off if you are not using it. Press the bb menu botton and close it. Just don't use the back button....

One thing I forgot to ask, are you sure you saved your pictures & videos on the your sd card. It is a common mistake that people make, they thought they stored their stuff on the sd card but it is actually in the device memory instead
    There were two folders when i connected the BB to my computer. One for the card and one for the device memory. I am sure I stuck them in the card memory folder. But one interesting thing was that the previos pictures that I had saved in there did not show up although they are in the media/pictures folder on the BB.
    06-04-09 01:08 PM
    Go to:

Options > Memory

What does it say for "Application Memory"?

Also, I would get rid of Viigo, VVM, V Cast, Passwor Keeper, Docs To Go, App World, App Center
    I have 25.8MB of free space.

OF NOTE: The Media Card info says: Total Space: 7.3GB, Free Space 7.3GB

Is it possible I have saved the pictures incorrectly?
    06-04-09 01:11 PM

Its possible...Hook up to USB, you should see two drives come up.One is device memory, one is card
    06-04-09 01:14 PM
    There were two folders when i connected the BB to my computer. One for the card and one for the device memory. I am sure I stuck them in the card memory folder. But one interesting thing was that the previos pictures that I had saved in there did not show up although they are in the media/pictures folder on the BB.
    Not suprised that some you pictures are not on the sd card. Happens to me as well. I have tons of wallpapers that down load from this site and sometime when I save them I accidentally save them on my storm and not on my sd.

I am looking at some of you other apps, the comic app I would get rid off since it is a big one, and to you really need both games (word mole & brick braker)?
    06-04-09 01:16 PM
    I found viigo to be a memory hog that, if left on, slowlyate up free memory over time. Also, I installed Meterberry and am able to look at my free app memory and do "soft resets" without doing battery pulls to put my memory back up to where it should be from time to time. A list of the programs I'm running, as well as my starting memory, is listed in my signature. I am pretty much lag-free, so if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.
    06-04-09 01:16 PM

Ouch, yep better transfer those files over.
    06-04-09 01:18 PM
    Can I just drag and drop photos, music and videos to the card memory folder or do I need to go through some other process?
    06-04-09 01:36 PM
    Can I just drag and drop photos, music and videos to the card memory folder or do I need to go through some other process?
    Make sure Mass Storage Mode is on and just drag and drop
    06-04-09 01:37 PM
    Make sure Mass Storage Mode is on and just drag and drop
    Mind reader
    06-04-09 01:45 PM
    Idk if same setting details on .148...

Browser > menu > options >

Browser configuration > uncheck support javascript & check prompt 2 enable js

General properties > check enable js location support

Cache operations > clear all regularly.

On .75 my browser/keyboard crazy slow otherwise!

+ u might read > HOW2: app mem
    06-04-09 01:47 PM
    Ok, that is what I have been doing. Wow, you think you are pretty adept at electronic functions, then you get a BB and learn everything all over again, LMAO! Loving every minute of it
    06-04-09 01:48 PM
    Ok, that is what I have been doing. Wow, you think you are pretty adept at electronic functions, then you get a BB and learn everything all over again, LMAO! Loving every minute of it
    Yup the is the first step of addiction. How is your storm, is she back to her usual snappy self?
    06-04-09 01:51 PM
    Noob here. This has been some very helpful info. Thanks.
    06-04-09 01:56 PM
    Noob here. This has been some very helpful info. Thanks.
    Glad we can be of service. Just make sure Elwood to keep an eye on what app you are running.

Another popular memory hog is weather bug. I use it but every time my memory takes a dive I know it is weather bug at it again. Also are you on 148?
    06-04-09 02:02 PM
    Yup the is the first step of addiction. How is your storm, is she back to her usual snappy self?
    I cannot see the pics on either folder. Both look as if they are blank but I know the pics are on there cause I can view them in the media app. color me Confused???
    06-04-09 02:12 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD