07-06-09 11:50 AM
76 1234
tools
    It is weird to read abou this because I was wondering the same thing with my storm. I had one storm and I didn't notice it with that one but I had to exchange it for a different on because the IM, e-mail, and internet would not work. So it is not just you. I can have it sitting on a table and press the screen to see what time it is and it won't work but if I pick it up then it comes on when I press the screen. I have a silicon case on it so I don't know what the issue could be.

Amber
    03-01-09 06:35 PM
    mine works perfect
    03-01-09 07:02 PM
    mine works perfect
    same here....
    03-01-09 07:13 PM
    Here is the best demonstration of the need for a ground:

Storm screen does not work on my desk, but if I ground the desktop (touch the underside of the desktop) the screen works fine.

Ummm touching the underside of a desk doesn't ground it...
    03-01-09 07:24 PM
    I need someone else to do this to be sure it's not just me. But, have you ever tried to put your Storm flat on a couch or a surface that's not grounded and then tried to use the screen on the Storm. It won't work. The only way to get it to work is if you use another finger and touch the back metal door and then it works fine. I'm wondering if there's some kind of grounding needed in order for the screen to function properly to touch. Just never noticed this before.
    This is a known thing but you don't have to be physically touching any part of the actual phone for it to work...I have the black VZW rubber case around the phone, and if it is laying flat, the touch screen won't work (usually), but if I put any type of pressure or any amount of hold even on the rubber case, it will work just fine. This is pretty annoying as there are times where I want to use the phone but not have to put my other fingers on it at all. Another useless feature from RIM.
    Last edited by guts311; 03-01-09 at 07:31 PM.
    03-01-09 07:28 PM
    I was under the impression that this was a feature so that when the phone is in you pocket you won't activate it by putting pressure on the pocket and pushing the screen in.
    03-01-09 07:33 PM
    hmmm i use mine when it's lying flat on my desk at work all the time with no problems...
    03-01-09 07:35 PM
    It's definitely happening to me as well. Very strange. Never noticed it before. On a towel on top of my leg, it works fine. On the same towel on the desk, it doesn't. On a pillow, it delays as well. It appears that it has to be touching another body part for grounding.
    03-01-09 07:51 PM
    have had this problem since day one
    03-01-09 08:00 PM
    works fine here on pillow, couch, etc
    03-01-09 08:00 PM
    I was under the impression that this was a feature so that when the phone is in you pocket you won't activate it by putting pressure on the pocket and pushing the screen in.
    I'm not talking about when the screen is DIM. Once the screen is DIM, that's when it stops responding and we all know that, that's the part that on the newer OSs was added to keep pocket activation to a minimum.

As for those of you who's not having this issue, I would be interested to know what OSs you're running, in case this is somehow related to that since I haven't noticed it before (as in a few weeks ago). Currently I'm on 109... from now on, post the OS version if you are or aren't experiencing this.
    03-01-09 08:06 PM
    As far as I know it has happened on all OS's that I have been through which is all of them. I never really cared much about it because i normally pick it up to do something so it didn't bother me. At night while I am in my room and it is on my bed this has happened though. Right now I am using .109 but as far as I remember it has happened with all the other versions I have used as well.
    03-01-09 08:09 PM
    I am running .109 and also keep my storm in a hard case.

With and without the hard case it works well on a wooden desk and on papers on the desk.

On a fairly firm sofa cushon it works well in the case, but is a bit laggy without the case, but it works.
    03-01-09 08:21 PM
    Interesting. I'll bet that those little brass tabs that touch the inside of the battery cover are the grounding system for the touch screen. If those tabs don't touch the battery door, I'd bet the screen doesn't work right with touch detection.
    I took my door off and it worked fine without it. I made sure I was only touching plastic parts of the phone with my fingers too. Strangely, if I set the Storm on the couch it works too, but if I set it on a pillow or on the bed it has greatly reduced touch sensitivity. But it's not completely inoperable.

There are my non scientific research results for ya!
    03-01-09 08:22 PM
    Mine works fine laying flat on my desk however when its laying flat on my couch I cannot use it as it will not respond.....Very strange.....Does this have anything to do with the hard and soft surface?
    03-01-09 08:30 PM
    .109 Phone has an IS on body & screen.

Initially I thought this was a non-issue for me. But after further testing and making sure 1) the screen is dark

Results:

On a paper calendar on metal desk (with simulated wood grain ): Screen reacts normally. Both clicking to waken the screen,and touch to select icon, then click to open Icon

On a cardboard box (same Desk): took 2 clicks to wake the screen. Let screen turn dark agian and space the "click" ~ 10 seconds apart 3 clicks this time to activate screen [Portrait mode, bottom right, top left, center]. Repeat again ONLY clicking the center 4 clicks to turn on screen. Touching to select icons was delayed and noticbly worse onthe Icons closer to the edges of the screen. Clicking to lauch the App only worked when clicking ON the icon.

Ergonomic Lap pillow [Think a Tempur-Pedic block of foam covered in nylon 18x8x3]. First click turned on. 3 clicks[center] turned on. touching to select the iocns was sporratic at best still best in the center of the screen. Clicking

I tried to ensure I was using the same ammount of "pressure" to click each time but I'm not a scientist.

Another thing i noticed:

Rolling the finger while depressing the screen greatly increases the likleyhood the screen will awaken.
    03-02-09 10:09 AM
    Dev, you did the test all wrong. I never said anywhere in my posts that you should start with a dark screen nor that any clicking is involved. My findings is that if you use one finger and one finger only with the Storm (screen lit up) laying flat on fabric based materials (micro swade in my case) on a seat or a couch, that the screen selection via touch (blue highlight) will be very hard to register or not register at all. The instant any proximity happens to any part of the phone with another finger or body part (initially I thought it was just the door, but now it's anywhere on the phone really) the highlight touchscreen reaction is much better and back to normal.

This does not mean put the phone flat in your lap and try to use it, I think the issue here is that there must be a very small and singular disruption of the field generated by the screen in order for you to see this problem. Any time you have grounding proximity from something else to the body of the phone, it'll work fine. I just find it interesting and wonder what exactly causes this and wanted others to see if their reacted the same way and it appears that it does.
    03-02-09 10:19 AM
    Ive noticed the same thing on mine....i just figured it was picky when it wanted to work or not laying flat
    03-02-09 10:40 AM
    I need someone else to do this to be sure it's not just me. But, have you ever tried to put your Storm flat on a couch or a surface that's not grounded and then tried to use the screen on the Storm. It won't work. The only way to get it to work is if you use another finger and touch the back metal door and then it works fine. I'm wondering if there's some kind of grounding needed in order for the screen to function properly to touch. Just never noticed this before.
    It might have something to do with the heat being transmitted to the device. If I touch it with all of my finger it is fine or with my other hand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 10:43 AM
    Mine is in an Otterbox and works with the lightest touch of a single finger when laying flat on an ungrounded surface. Could it have something to do with the touchscreen settings? Mine are at:
    TI=250,HP=800,SS=6
    03-02-09 11:02 AM
    I just tried that and that is definitely weird... If I touch the underside of the desk it responds better than it does just lying flat on the desk without my hand on the other side.

I've noticed the same with it being on the couch or armrest... but this is kind of strange lol.
    03-02-09 11:23 AM

As for those of you who's not having this issue, I would be interested to know what OSs you're running, in case this is somehow related to that since I haven't noticed it before (as in a few weeks ago). Currently I'm on 109... from now on, post the OS version if you are or aren't experiencing this.
    I am 90% certain that mine "worked" in the car mount when it was untweaked and running .75 (basically on the ride home from VZW).

When I got my replacement, I meant to check before I "restored" the phone, but I forgot :-(
    03-02-09 03:36 PM
    This is not a flaw or anything that is going to be fixed by new OS's, apps, whatever. The Storm and iPhone both have capacitive screens, so it relies on a tiny amount of "electricity" from your finger to complete the circuit. Its very possible that the phone has to be "grounded" for this to work. This is why a stylus does not work on these 2 phones.

All the other touch screen phones (voyager, dare, omnia, palm devices, etc) have resistive/pressure touch screens so they respond to any pressure from your finger, stylus, pen, whatever.

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned this after 47 posts.
    03-02-09 04:02 PM
    I have issues w this as wel...it's quite interesting to say the least...was on the couch and tried to lay it on blanket and use it and the touch screen was non responsive...noticed a couple of weeks ago.
    03-02-09 04:07 PM
    I don't know what any of you are talking about... mine works just fine on any surface... car mount... etc.

Running 109
    03-02-09 04:22 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD