I need someone else to do this to be sure it's not just me. But, have you ever tried to put your Storm flat on a couch or a surface that's not grounded and then tried to use the screen on the Storm. It won't work. The only way to get it to work is if you use another finger and touch the back metal door and then it works fine. I'm wondering if there's some kind of grounding needed in order for the screen to function properly to touch. Just never noticed this before.
    03-01-09 03:37 PM
    It works for me but barley. it takes like 3 seconds for the button i chose to work. thats weird because it works flawlessly in my hand.
    03-01-09 03:43 PM
    my screen does not work in the way you describe either. It also doesn't work if I sit it up on the couch and only touch the screen with one finger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 03:46 PM
    Interesting. I'll bet that those little brass tabs that touch the inside of the battery cover are the grounding system for the touch screen. If those tabs don't touch the battery door, I'd bet the screen doesn't work right with touch detection.
    03-01-09 03:48 PM
    When my storm is on any flat surface that is not hard (bed, couch, chair, leg etc...) it always has a delay on atleast 3-5 seconds if not more. Sometimes the touch screen does not work at all, but it will still click, I just won't be able to highlight the item I am clicking before I click it.
    03-01-09 03:48 PM
    Strange... Same here

03-01-09 03:49 PM
    mine works fine if i sit it on like the pillow on my bed or something it keeps switching between portrait and landscape on its own but thats about all
    03-01-09 03:49 PM
    If this was the case then a fair few of the cases wouldnt allow it to work properly. Maybe it confuses the accelerometer or something? It does it with mine ( I have the Innocase II) but when you pick it up it works fine as described above. I'll try it on the document stand at work.
    03-01-09 03:53 PM
    It looks like on the cushion of my couch, if I just lightly hold my finger on the opposite side to brace the phone (not even applying pressure, just keeping it from sliding away from me while scrolling on the phone), I can use it fine. If I don't, it's hit or miss. I had never noticed this so I paid attention to how I use it on the couch and it turns out that I just instinctively rest my middle, ring, and pinky fingers along the far left side when it's in landscape.
    03-01-09 03:59 PM
    I have this issue with the car mount.

To get it to work I have to "ground" the phone with my hand and then press.

And here is an odd one: it works lying flat on my laptop, but on the desk next to the laptop it doesn't.

hmmmm
    03-01-09 03:59 PM
    Yeah, mine works fine flat on any hard (or close to hard) surface. For example it works fine on my laptop, on my desk, and on top of my mousepad... which isn't as hard as the desk but doesn't squish down at all.
    03-01-09 04:01 PM
    Yeah, this has happened to me plenty of times. I just forced myself to get into the habit of picking it up no matter what the situation.
    03-01-09 04:05 PM
    I didn't even notice. I never would have!
    03-01-09 04:06 PM
    Same here. Happens a lot. But I dont leave it naked on top of a table lol. Silicone case to assure its safe
    03-01-09 04:08 PM
    Here is the best demonstration of the need for a ground:

Storm screen does not work on my desk, but if I ground the desktop (touch the underside of the desktop) the screen works fine.
    03-01-09 04:09 PM
    I have a feeling that this perticular design flaw may be the reason why RIM cannot program in a screen proximity detection to DIM the screen like the iPhone does when there's a large skin surface area next to the screen.
    03-01-09 04:18 PM
    I need someone else to do this to be sure it's not just me. But, have you ever tried to put your Storm flat on a couch or a surface that's not grounded and then tried to use the screen on the Storm. It won't work. The only way to get it to work is if you use another finger and touch the back metal door and then it works fine. I'm wondering if there's some kind of grounding needed in order for the screen to function properly to touch. Just never noticed this before.
    Did you perform your test with a naked Storm or was it in a protective case?

Mine worked with the Storm naked and with a protective case. The touch response is a bit slower when the phone is flat.
    03-01-09 05:17 PM
    mine does that when I try to sit it on a table in our breakroom.

03-01-09 05:27 PM
    I also noticed that sometimes when I hold it at weird angles it does that too.

03-01-09 05:30 PM
    My Storm reacts in exactly the same manner whether in my hand, on my couch, on a table... Basically, on any surface I've tried, the phone has responded consistently.
    03-01-09 05:34 PM
    Interesting. I'll bet that those little brass tabs that touch the inside of the battery cover are the grounding system for the touch screen. If those tabs don't touch the battery door, I'd bet the screen doesn't work right with touch detection.
    Civic, I just took the back off and placed my Storm on a piece of wood. The screen works fine to the touch. I made sure not to touch the phone anywhere but the screen with a single finger. There was no delay or change in responce.

I repeated the process on a large piece of 1/2" rubber with the same results.

I am not sure what is going on for you.
    03-01-09 05:46 PM
    just started noticing this a few days ago. I can sometimes get it to work if a larger area of my finger is touching.
    03-01-09 05:48 PM
    The touch response on mine is a bit slower when it's laying flat on a non-conductive surface (in this case, a hardcover copy of "Wicked" sitting on a wooden table), but the screen still "works" to some extent.
    03-01-09 05:51 PM
    Strange - It still works for me.
    03-01-09 05:54 PM
    Same here. Happens a lot. But I dont leave it naked on top of a table lol. Silicone case to assure its safe
    same here with the silicone case.
    i like the feel of it "naked", but when it goes in my coat pocket
    or on the night table, I get paranoid and put the case on.

Anyway, yes, I've noticed that with it lying flat, the response is nearly non-existent.
    03-01-09 06:29 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD