How is it going everyone

I finally got my storm today after wanting one and reading various threads here on crackberry for a few months. So far I absolutely love it but I am very new to blacberrys as this is my first one. I wanted to make sure I am doing things right so far and also to introduce myself to this forum, I will probably be around for awhile.

I paid 149.99 for the storm and wanted to make sure I did not get jipped. I had a moto q before this so I had my NE2 since July. I got a $50 savings in the mail the other day so that explains the 199 down to 149, but how are some people getting it for $50-100?

So far I have read some of the basic tweak threads and I adjusted my brightness down to 60, homescreen in landscape is now down to 8 icons, and I deleted some programs I wont use to free up some space.

I have installed a few apps including - app world, bloomberg, poynt, where(dont think i need this since I poynt), slacker, quickpull, gmail and google maps. Do any of this apps cause any problems with this storm such as memory leak? I try to make sure I close everything when I am done with it.

Any other tips as to different settings like the tap interval and hover period and where i should set them out would be great. Or please shoot me in the right direction I tried searching but there are so many threads and they all seem to revolve around the 8 icon change.

I am glad to be a part of this community and look forward to the next 2 years with this phone.
    Last edited by Swiftmac; 04-25-09 at 11:33 PM.
    04-25-09 11:16 PM
    I can't speak for all of the apps...but if you upgrade the OS to .109, .113, .122, or (prob) .132 you will notice a substantial improvement in performance and stability over the stock 0.75 OS. Keep in mind according to some this may void your warranty. Some have also bricked their phones in the process...but I do believe this is a minority.

Overall the leaked OSs restore some of the performance that is expected of the storm. It's still not perfect (or even close) but it does make the phone far more usable.
    04-26-09 01:31 AM
    Welcome to the BB community I'm a new BB owner as well! Cheers and enjoy your little bundle of joy I know I am lol
    04-26-09 04:41 AM
    Welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm. Since you are new to the BB devices, I suggest reading through the BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series if you haven't already. I would also turn the screen brightness down to lower than 60 since the screen is plenty bright enough even at the lowest setting. This will greatly help your battery life. The number of icons that you have on your screen will impact the stability of the device especially when your app memory gets low. What I have mine set to is just a standard full screen of icons with the remainder in different folders. As for updating your OS like the other user said, I would wait until you get more familiar with the device and Desktop Manager before attempting this. The latest .132 leak is better than official .75 but you will appreciate it more once you get to know your device. Another app that I suggest you install is CaptureIt, this app will allow you to take screenshots of your device. This will help if you have a problem and need to show any of us what is on your screen. For the touch settings, I suggest 100, 100, 6 since those will allow for quick typing and better hover and selection control. If you would like to know what each of these do, I will gladly post them or you can search for what I wrote about them in another thread.

If you have any questions about this or anything else feel free to send me a pm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 12:58 PM
    Getting them for $50 and such usually meant a deal with Verizon. Mine was $50 after an almost even swap from my LG Dare. I had returned 5 and Verizon agreed the phone would never work the way I wanted it to.

Despite what you may read here, don't fall into the OCD Memory Leak pattern. You do not need to watch your memory until you have a reason to, ie performance. People that constantly check their memory will eventually find something wrong, even tho its not. It doesn't matter if someone has more or less free app mem than you. It's all about how your phone performs for you.

I'd recommend MeterBerry despite not using all its features myself (rarely use the soft reset option or check the memory log). The battery log will give you an idea of your peak usage times and allow you to plan around them. For example, I know my Storm can go 36+ hrs without a charge with normal usage. But I have abnormal usage sometimes at work and could potentially drain the battery midway through the second day
    04-26-09 01:14 PM
    Welcome + have fun with your storm.
    04-26-09 03:19 PM
    Armak, thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to play around with the phone more and wont touch the OS until a let a week pass by and see how things go. I am not planning on getting rid of this phone no matter what so I can wait it out. I also appreciate you allowing me to pm you questions i may have. It means a lot to see some members of this community like you willing to help others out without the flaming I see sometimes on here.

Kuroshio thanks as well. This is what it is I guess and I am ok with 149(cheaper than when I got my Q for 200 haha). Im downloading meterberry right now so we shall see how that goes. Is this a replacement for quickpull since it has the soft reset option?

Also, I noticed last night that light comes through pretty clearly all around my screen and the screen seems to wobble a good amount. It works perfectly fine but I am wondering if it is supposed to move side to side as much as it does. It is also harder to click down by the buttons but it still clicks. I guess I will see what happens after a few days but does this sound alright to you guys?
    04-26-09 03:21 PM
    Is this a replacement for quickpull since it has the soft reset option?

Yes

Also, I noticed last night that light comes through pretty clearly all around my screen and the screen seems to wobble a good amount. It works perfectly fine but I am wondering if it is supposed to move side to side as much as it does. It is also harder to click down by the buttons but it still clicks. I guess I will see what happens after a few days but does this sound alright to you guys?
    I got mine in late November/early December and although it moves around a little its not a concern since the entire screen is one big button. Its difficult to define how much movement is enough and how much is too much. Ultimately it will depend on your preference, you can always go into a Verizon store and play with a floor model to see how it differs from yours

Welcome to your new addiction & Enjoy!!
    04-26-09 03:36 PM
    ... It works perfectly fine but I am wondering if it is supposed to move side to side as much as it does. It is also harder to click down by the buttons but it still clicks. I guess I will see what happens after a few days but does this sound alright to you guys?
    It should move but not very much. As in a milimeter or less. If you're having issues clicking the screen anywhere, return it for another. If you wait until after the 30 day return period, you're more than likely to receive a refurb. At this point, you're entitled to a new phone.
    04-26-09 03:38 PM
    Armak, thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to play around with the phone more and wont touch the OS until a let a week pass by and see how things go. I am not planning on getting rid of this phone no matter what so I can wait it out. I also appreciate you allowing me to pm you questions i may have. It means a lot to see some members of this community like you willing to help others out without the flaming I see sometimes on here.

Not a problem swift, I love to help new and existing owners the best way that I can. I'm glad to hear that you are going to stick it out with the storm because it is becoming a better device with each leaked OS that we get our hands on.

Now to your question. The light coming from around the screen and the screen wobbling is natural for the device. With the launch day storms, there was what we call severe light bleeding from around the screens on some units but this has been fixed with most of the latest released units. As for the wobbling, this is natural too since the screen needs room to move and it is a giant button in a way that pivots slightly on a central point. For the device being slightly harder to click near the keys, this is also caused by the screen being on a central point. Some people have adjusted the screw on the back of the unit next to the battery to help with the screen clicking but I haven't found a need to do it on my device. Others have placed a business card under the battery cover to fix the problem. I have a launch day storm and can tell you that these are things that you don't have to worry about too much as long as it isn't effecting the device greatly. If you feel that there is something wrong with your device, you can take it into the vzw store and have them look at it. But many times, they just tell customers that there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by ArmaK; 04-26-09 at 03:46 PM.
    04-26-09 03:42 PM
    Let us know when you're on Storm #5 so was can better help you.
    04-26-09 03:49 PM
    It should move but not very much. As in a milimeter or less. If you're having issues clicking the screen anywhere, return it for another. If you wait until after the 30 day return period, you're more than likely to receive a refurb. At this point, you're entitled to a new phone.
    Im not sure exactly how much mine moves but it slides until it hits the outer rim. Both when sliding up and down and side to side. Ill see how it goes after this week and if it bothers me i guess ill get a new one.

This thing has three screen protectors on it right? I remember reading that on here but I cant find it. Someone said theres the very obvious one the is practically falling off when u get it and then one under that which many believe is the protector. I left this one on since it does not have any bubbles and is on pretty good. But I read that there is even another thin one under the 2nd, this true? I bought the verizon screen protectors so I can throw one of those on when these are gone.
    04-26-09 04:13 PM
    Im not sure exactly how much mine moves but it slides until it hits the outer rim. Both when sliding up and down and side to side. Ill see how it goes after this week and if it bothers me i guess ill get a new one.

This thing has three screen protectors on it right? I remember reading that on here but I cant find it. Someone said theres the very obvious one the is practically falling off when u get it and then one under that which many believe is the protector. I left this one on since it does not have any bubbles and is on pretty good. But I read that there is even another thin one under the 2nd, this true? I bought the verizon screen protectors so I can throw one of those on when these are gone.
    It had one with some directions for the phone and then one that was installed at the factory to protect the screen during shipping. It's not very durable and scratches easily. The VZW protectors are good enough though they're fingerprint magnets.
    04-26-09 05:08 PM
    So I am looking for advice. My screen click is not uniform and a little harder to click near the buttons. It still work but I am woeeied it might get worse and plis I feel like I deserve a perfect screen without having to put a card in the back or turn the screws. But my phone is solid everywhere else and the memory stays around 35 most of the day. Is it worth it bringing it back in less than a week of having it for a new one?

04-28-09 07:49 PM
    So I am looking for advice. My screen click is not uniform and a little harder to click near the buttons. It still work but I am woeeied it might get worse and plis I feel like I deserve a perfect screen without having to put a card in the back or turn the screws. But my phone is solid everywhere else and the memory stays around 35 most of the day. Is it worth it bringing it back in less than a week of having it for a new one?

My screen clicks a little bit harder near the buttons too but that is because of the way the device is built. Since the screen itself is situated on a central point, the pivoting towards the bottom might feel harder. It is also a result of having more items crammed into the bottom space of the device than the top (You can see this by removing the battery cover). Additionally, when you click near the top half of the screen, the battery has room to move which makes the clicking feel like it is easier. If you think that this is going to be a problem, you can take it into a store and have them look at it.

04-28-09 08:16 PM
    After letting a week go by I am beginning to get frustrated with the screen click on my storm. I absolutely love the phone but it is hard to write solid sentences with it because the space button while in portrait mode is hard to click (bottom center of screen). It feels like the screen kind of gets stuck after a click for a split second and that does not allow me to click for the next letter or symbol as quickly as I would like. I am not sure if this is how all storms are and I am just trying to type too fast for it but the faster I type the easier it is for the screen to get "stuck" and the next letter not register.

I am going to call and ask for a replacement since I am still within 30 days and I don't want this to bug me for the next two years haha. Question is when I get the replacement in the mail (I heard the store only gives refurbished thats why I am going to call for one) can I back up my current storm then plug in the new one and restore it with the old storms file so I get my contacts and settings? I am not worried about the 5 or 6 3rd party apps I have I will just re-install them myself. But I am not sure about my contacts.

Sorry for another noob question but I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I get a replacement.
    05-03-09 03:19 PM
    When its within the first 30 days, the store will replace it with a brand new device, no need to call. Same process in store and over the phone.

Backup in the desktop manager witht he old one and then restore it to the new phone, easy as pie. RIM did something right with the backup capabilities
    05-03-09 03:27 PM
    haha thats great to hear. thanks for the quick response. I am hoping for the best with the new one. I feel like I am taking a risk in getting one that might have worse problems, but what the ****, might as well trade them in until I get one that is how it was meant to be.
    05-03-09 03:49 PM
    I could never hurt to try. Hope everything goes well
    05-03-09 04:04 PM
    Haha so I went to verizon and pretty much got rejected for a replacement. The guy played with my space button and continued to argue that nothing was wrong. I agree nothing is wrong it works, but it doesn't feel right nor a uniform "click". Regardless he obviously did not want to give me a new storm so until I call verizon and see what they say...I'm going to give .132 a whirl
    05-04-09 02:03 PM
    Alright so I upgraded to .132 and so far I dont notice much difference over .75 in performance haha. My memory might actually have gotten a little worse and battery isnt any better. There are a few nice new functions but overall I dont see the "new" storm everyone was talking about.

When I go into desktop manager and open app loader so I can remove some unwanted programs like memopad and tasks it now only shows me my third party applications....did I do something wrong when installing .132?
    05-05-09 10:03 AM
    bump for some help
    05-05-09 07:29 PM
    I haven't deleted anything using dm, I usually do it right from the phone. Go to options, advanced options, applications. Highlight what you don't want and click the blackberry button and then hit delete. Some apps require a reboot after deleting them. Best to delete everything you don't want before rebooting. Everything you delete is still available to reload through dm later if you change your mind. Hope this helped

05-06-09 09:54 PM
    Hey I just got a replacement storm due to a muffled voice quality on the last one. This one the screen when on white background u can see dots forming perfect squares throughout the whole screen. I never noticed this on my first storm is this normal?

05-18-09 02:08 PM
    Hey I just got a replacement storm due to a muffled voice quality on the last one. This one the screen when on white background u can see dots forming perfect squares throughout the whole screen. I never noticed this on my first storm is this normal?

Its the digitizer for the touchscreen. all storms, all capactive touchscreen phones in fact, have them
    05-18-09 02:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD