Hello,

I'm new to the whole BB world, and just purchased my first one a few weeks ago. I went with the Storm. After doing some extensive reading on this great site, and reading almost every Storm thread, I decided to make the jump. I can say that I am very, very happy with the Storm. I'm coming from a Voyager and in my opinion, this phone is leaps and bounds above that phone. The Voyager was great, but I think this is more my type of phone. I don't think I will ever own anything else other than a BB.

I did read and notice a lot of people having problems with the screen, the OS, and refurbs. I bought mine on January 29th, and had no problems whatsoever. Now, I do realize this is my first BB and have no history on how fast, slow, or anything on how the OS is supposed to work. But, so far, I haven't had any crashes, or any screen problems.

My phone specs...

-Made in Mexico
    -Has a date of 1/13/2009 on the box.
    -Running .75 OS

My impressions...

Since coming off the Voyager, and enV before that, I am a QWERTY keyboard fan. The QWERTY had a little feeling out to get use to. I did notice a little bit of lag on typing on it. Not that I'm a really fast typer, but consider myself to be mediocre at best. At first, I didn't like the SureType and never really used it. Now that I know what it can do and how accurate it is, I never use QWERTY anymore.

Camera and Video are pretty good. I also heard about people having problems with crappy cameras and freezing videos. The camera takes good pictures, but I don't like that little bit of time it takes for it to actually take the picture. Playing back the Babylon A.D. trailer plays well with no freezing.

App memory. I did notice that it jumps from 40 to mid 20s during the day with no apps running. Any reason why it does this? I have gone in and deleted any apps that I won't use and I make sure every app is properly closed after use.

All form of messages work. I'm able to receive and send picture messages. I do like the fact that BB has it's own messenger. This is where the use of the PIN comes into play, right? Anybody want to swap PINs ( I don't know anyone else with a BB )?

There's lots more that I will post and can, but I don't want to bore anyone. lol

In closing, I've had no problems so far that has been mentioned numerous times (knocking on wood), but i'm also running .75....so....I don't know if there was any problems with that OS. I am aware of all the new OS leaks, but a little hesitant to jump to it since it's not an official update. I want to thank this site and forum for all the help so far, and for future help.
    02-14-09 08:16 PM
    Was just posting from my 9530 telling you in was a cool device when it friggin froze. Now my 8900 is showing me again how much better a device it is over the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 08:31 PM
    As far as your memory problem are u running weather bug ? There has been some issues with
    That app causing memory leaks. I took it off and my baby has been running smooth since.
    I too am running .75 and don't have any issues except typing lag when posting in forums. Mess
    With your hover settings and play around u will find a good setting. But the lag in forums will still
    Be there others say the leaked os fix that.

02-14-09 08:49 PM
    As far as your memory problem are u running weather bug ? There has been some issues with
    That app causing memory leaks. I took it off and my baby has been running smooth since.
    I too am running .75 and don't have any issues except typing lag when posting in forums. Mess
    With your hover settings and play around u will find a good setting. But the lag in forums will still
    Be there others say the leaked os fix that.

No, I'm not running weather bug. I just checked my phone and I'm down to 17.2 now. Don't get me wrong, it runs good, but I can't figure out the memory leak.

What is the best settings for typing?

Thanks for the help!
    02-14-09 08:56 PM

These are what I run. What apps do u have installed? Have you tried a battery pull?

02-14-09 09:02 PM
    I have been using my phone heavily for 3 hours straight and I am down to 28.2 with multiple apps
    Running. Do u have memory cleaner enabled?

02-14-09 09:05 PM
    First off, welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm. There have been problems with some users with WB like others have said but I've been using WB since I bought the storm launch day and haven't had one problem with the app. One thing to check if you think you have a memory leak is to make sure that you are actually closing the apps and not just exiting out of them. You can check this by holding the BB key down for a few seconds until the app switcher appears and it will show you everything that is open. If there are apps that are open (browser, phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Home Screen and Messages can't be closed), click on them one by one, press the bb key and click close.

02-14-09 09:14 PM
    These are what I run. What apps do u have installed? Have you tried a battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

I'll go and switch my settings to what you have and try that.

I only have the Visual VM, and the VZ VCast music (which i'm thinking of getting rid of). I did a battery pull yesterday morning, and it's been leaking since then. How many of these pulls should be done? Just once a week?

As for memory cleaner, I had it enabled, but took it off because I read on here that it would make the phone lock and unlock faster.

Thanks again!
    02-14-09 09:15 PM
    First off, welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm. There have been problems with some users with WB like others have said but I've been using WB since I bought the storm launch day and haven't had one problem with the app. One thing to check if you think you have a memory leak is to make sure that you are actually closing the apps and not just exiting out of them. You can check this by holding the BB key down for a few seconds until the app switcher appears and it will show you everything that is open. If there are apps that are open (browser, phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Home Screen and Messages can't be closed), click on them one by one, press the bb key and click close.

Thanks for the welcome!

Ok - I used and held the BB key. These apps is what came up...messages, clock, home, and calender. All in that order.

Thanks!
    02-14-09 09:18 PM
    Yes that is true about memory cleaner. Try the suggestion of the previous post and see what
    You come up with. Keep us up to date. I deleted v cast music first thing free. Up a lot of space
    As well as navigator

02-14-09 09:19 PM
    Thanks for the welcome!

Ok - I used and held the BB key. These apps is what came up...messages, clock, home, and calender. All in that order.

Thanks!
    No bb messenger came up?

02-14-09 09:20 PM
    Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks!
    There should be more than that running. If you are looking at it in portrait, slide your finger to the left across the bar to see more apps. If you look at it in landscape it will show more apps at one time. I would close the calendar app if you aren't using it immediately. I would delete the VCast music since it is a waste of space and you can just drag and drop music to the storm instead of using the service. You are right that disabling the memory cleaner will allow for you to unlock and lock the device faster. I have never enabled mine and I get great memory management. As for battery pulls, I only do them once every 2 or 3 weeks or whenever I install a new OS. If you are not afraid, I would try to install one of the leaked OS and you will get better memory management. You can also try installing QuickPull and using the schedule feature to do a mock battery pull at night so that you have a fresh load of memory in the morning.

Last edited by ArmaK; 02-14-09 at 09:30 PM.
    02-14-09 09:28 PM
    No bb messenger came up?

I'll delete the Vcast and see what that does. I rarely use that anyway. As far as the BB messenger, yes, now that I looked at what more I had with holding the bb button, it was there.
    02-14-09 09:31 PM
    No, I'm not running weather bug. I just checked my phone and I'm down to 17.2 now. Don't get me wrong, it runs good, but I can't figure out the memory leak.

What is the best settings for typing?

Thanks for the help!
    With the base configuration and the .75 OS, it is typical to go down to teen after some usage. If you set the Memory Cleaner to run when locked, it will release some of the memories and back to mid-20.

If you moved some of the icons off the home screen to a folder, you can get more than 30MB when idling.

I am keeping the original setting for typing and I don't have any issue. I am starting to get used to the blue light and the click and I can now type relatively fast.

02-14-09 09:32 PM

This is what should be running.

02-14-09 09:34 PM
    With the base configuration and the .75 OS, it is typical to go down to teen after some usage. If you set the Memory Cleaner to run when locked, it will release some of the memories and back to mid-20.

If you moved some of the icons off the home screen to a folder, you can get more than 30MB when idling.

I am keeping the original setting for typing and I don't have any issue. I am starting to get used to the blue light and the click and I can now type relatively fast.

Look at my pic and notice the folders I forgot all about that! Cleaning up your home screen does
    Free up memory bit also quicken up navigating around the home screen.

02-14-09 09:37 PM

I'll try those tips with the memory cleaner and moving some icons to one folder.

I just took off Vcast and it shot up to 43.7.

Thanks again!
    02-14-09 09:37 PM
    Sneaky vcast it likes buying a dell. Lol

02-14-09 09:39 PM
    Just remember if your phone lock lags it is memory cleaner. I loved having it on but the lag
    In locking drove me nuts. Lol

02-14-09 09:42 PM
    Sneaky vcast it likes buying a dell. Lol

lol Getting rid of Vcast is something I should've done from the get-go! Thanks for much for your help!
    02-14-09 09:44 PM
    Just remember if your phone lock lags it is memory cleaner. I loved having it on but the lag
    In locking drove me nuts. Lol

Yeah - it annoyed me unlocking and locking the phone. I know it's a small thing to complain about, but after doing it so much gets to you. lol
    02-14-09 09:47 PM
    No problem! That's what is so great about these forums and all the fellow addicts!

By the welcome and have fun!

02-14-09 09:47 PM
    Yeah - it annoyed me unlocking and locking the phone. I know it's a small thing to complain about, but after doing it so much gets to you. lol
    Lol! I know it seems petty but I am with you.

02-14-09 09:49 PM
    As everyone said, you must ensure you don't have apps. unnecessarrily running in the backgroud. Read up on this. I keep catching myself leaving things "open". Slacker radio...etc. I have the usual 5 .. background running apps plus Vymail, bblight and peekawho. But I'm aware of it and monitor performance. I also deleted alot of crap and added apps. I wanted. The OS made a big difference. I was hesident to install a leaked OS. I didn't even know how to install the desk manager disc. But I carefully followed the instructions on crackberry and upgraded to .99. What a difference. Then I did .103. Even better. I only see some fuzzy icons once in a while, the video camera is a little choppy... I use the 1600 extended battery from Seidio---the battery can last 48 plus hours. Now I have mobile facebook, no problems. These forums have helped me so much. Good luck. Sorry for the misspellings.
    02-14-09 10:38 PM
    I would swap BB pin but i have no idea how to do that...I got my storm 1/10/09!! very very new to this!!
    02-15-09 12:24 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD