I started with Verizon a month ago with an LG Dare, I soon realized that only the Storm was able to offer the sync capabilities so I traded phones. So far I have found that the Storm is terrible and the keyboard for texting is beyond horrible. I have been reading the post here and I have downloaded the 106 Hybrid and also the text to "The Way" for installation but I am no way as absorbed as you guys seem to be.I have not dared to install the newer software, Is there some one that can help me or should I give up and go back to the LG Dare?

Dsieg
    02-20-09 05:18 PM
    Touch, Click. Touch, Click. Touch, Click.

Give it some time, Dsieg. The typing has a real learning curve to it, as I assume you have read. But the more you use it, the better you get. I had a heck of a time when I first got the Storm, but I can't visualize being without it now.

Good luck,'
    Rich
    02-20-09 06:01 PM
    i also just moved up from a dare to the storm this week. I have to say i do not share your view. I love the storms click screen and the phone is far superior to my dare in every way. (minus the drawing pad, kinda sad to see that go). I find it very easy to txt quickly and efficiently. After owning my own i cant understand all the hate geared towards the storm. It is my first blackberry and i have to say im 100% satisfied with it.
    02-20-09 06:11 PM
    Agree, at first it is a beach of a phone but perseverance is key.

If these forums are anything to go by (pinch of salt) then there is a new super doopa fantastic wonder OS that will solve a lot of the worlds problems... only you got to be patient. Very patient.

All in all though, it's a great phone that is taking little teeny weeny steps in the right direction with every leak - you just gotta be patient!!!
    02-20-09 06:12 PM
    Like Richs said it has a learning curve even if you have had a blackberry before. Also don't be scared of the updates they are not as hard to install as you think and there are great tutorials on this site to help you out. The updates are what have made this a great phone. I was starting to regret purchasing the phone only hours after I got it. Then I upgraded and it has gotten better for me each day.
    02-20-09 06:18 PM
    I started with Verizon a month ago with an LG Dare, I soon realized that only the Storm was able to offer the sync capabilities so I traded phones. So far I have found that the Storm is terrible and the keyboard for texting is beyond horrible. I have been reading the post here and I have downloaded the 106 Hybrid and also the text to "The Way" for installation but I am no way as absorbed as you guys seem to be.I have not dared to install the newer software, Is there some one that can help me or should I give up and go back to the LG Dare?

Dsieg
    Keep the STORM. I haven't played with the hybrids yet. I'm using .103 and IMHO it the best of all the betas yet. You might to go try that. Each user has different programs loaded onto the phone, resulting in different problems. Some of the hybrids were made to address the problems that the maker of the hybrid were experiencing. Try a full beta, non-hybrid releases to get used to the phone first. Once using the phone is second nature to you, go to the findings thread for the release, to see if you experiencing the same problems as others.
    As for the keyboard, I gave up on the iPhone because of its keyboard. I'm a lot more accurate with the Storm, but it takes a while to adjust from your old phone's keyboard to the new one.
    02-20-09 06:27 PM
    give it at least a month. It takes time to adjust. It's a different type of phone.
    02-20-09 06:28 PM
    I went from the LG Voyager, to the Dare to the Storm...I was constantly disappointed with the first two phones. The Voyager was terrible when it came to browsing, you need a midgets fingers to txt with the Dare (no offense) and the storm is perfect. It took me a few days to get used to it and it was my first blackberry and i'm absolutely in love....Hey I mean then again Blackberries arent for everyone
    02-20-09 06:33 PM
    give it some time before you make a final decision. Like everyone else said, there's a learning curve. I think that's a mistake many reviewers made - they didn't give it enough time and gave it a bad review

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 07:46 PM
    Install the hybrid .106 I was so nervous but follow the steps exactly and no problem. I was so confused when I first got my blackberry but spend a lot of time on crackberry learning and absorbing and next thing you know you will be the one giving advice. There are people that I work with that have had this phone since release day and I am giving them classes I have had my phone for 2 weeks. (this is my 2nd blackberry)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 08:25 PM
    I say give the Storm a try. While I am not new to BB (had a Curve for business), I had the Dare for my personal phone. Three months later, I realized that I needed my own BB. So I got my Storm Dec. 30th, 2008. Though it is different from the Dare, which was one of my FABfave phones, I love my Storm and I am in for the long hall. Don't give up! Keep at it and get use to the device. Search these forums for "how to info." If all else fails, google "how to do whatever on the Storm" and you will get your answer. Keep the faith!
    02-20-09 08:35 PM
    i too came from a Dare. (actually, its all boxed up and ready to be listed on fleabay) anyway- i really wanted a storm but i wasnt eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price... and there was NO way i was paying full retail price.

well, somehow, my wife was able to get one for me as a gift. truth be told- i did not like it AT ALL. i didnt have any idea how to send a text message- let alone anything else. i was all ready to return it for a different BB- granted, its only been a week- but the more time i spend reading about it, digging into it and (basically) trial and error- im liking it more and more.

stick with it- i think your feeling will change.
    02-20-09 08:37 PM
    I agree with most of these guys.......you need to mess with it for a while to get to like it
    02-20-09 08:40 PM
    I would have to agree.. It will get better as time goes by just be patien, I had the Iphone when it first came out and i thought it sucked but it got better after the updates (wish i could say the same bout the service... ) then move to sprints MOTO Q. But now that I have my storm its by far the best Phone/PDA I ever owned, at least in my opinion...
    02-20-09 09:23 PM
    I felt the same way. I was ready to take it back and get an older Blackberry. But I kept with it and the typing gets a lot easier the more you practice. I'm an avid texter and I got a lot of practice
    I'm now a Storm addict and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    02-20-09 10:11 PM
    BTW, try to do a battery pull once every other day, and close your programs if you're not running them. These two things will make your Storm run a lot smoother! Good luck!!!!
    02-20-09 10:50 PM
    Give it time it is really worth it!
    02-20-09 10:54 PM
    it might be the OS your running. i was steadily updating until i got to .99 and i absolutely hated it while others said it was great 10+ battery pulls/hour= badd so i went back to .90 and love it, im gonna wait until there is an official release to change again
    I say keep the storm, itl grow on ya trust me
    02-20-09 11:11 PM
    Thank you for your encouragement. I have downloaded the hybrid 106 version but I just read in another post somewhere that you have to download 103 first. His post had links to each version but the link to the 103 was corrupt?? Or didn't work. Is there another way? Or is there a way to find 103 somewhere here?

By the way does Lostmarine have any association with USMC. Because I did.
    02-21-09 07:26 AM
    Hey,
    I've had the Storm for 3 days and so far I love it. This is my first smartphone (I'm coming from an LG VX8600). I'm still running on .75, and while the camera is too slow to really be useful, I haven't noticed any other major problems.

I got used to typing on the Storm pretty quickly. The first thing I would suggest is to always use your left thumb to type on the left half of the keyboard, and your right thumb for the right half. When I started doing this my typing errors went down dramatically.

Also, as others have said, remember to close your programs out when you are done using them, rather than leaving them open. I've been doing this consistently (once I understood how) and haven't had many performance issues. I also don't have many 3rd party programs installed (yet).

Finally, check out the thread where people are giving out tips and tricks. I found this very helpful.

One more thing - I showed the phone to my wife, who's never used a PDA or smartphone before, and after a few minutes of instruction she was typing away without making many mistakes.
    02-21-09 02:30 PM
    i got use to it in 2 days, you have to be very paitient but in the end it will all be worth it.
    02-21-09 10:41 PM
    When I bought my Storm, My Verizon Rep (whom I have known for years) asked me to keep the phone for a minimum of one week before I considered returning it. He also directed me to this site to learn from it.
    The first few days required a lot of reading and learning about the phone and its features....settings....etc (my first bb). I read the manual and I learned a LOT from CB!
    Give it a chance and don't get discouraged
    02-21-09 11:13 PM
    Thank you for your encouragement. I have downloaded the hybrid 106 version but I just read in another post somewhere that you have to download 103 first. His post had links to each version but the link to the 103 was corrupt?? Or didn't work. Is there another way? Or is there a way to find 103 somewhere here?

By the way does Lostmarine have any association with USMC. Because I did.
    You download the files from both links in that thread. The first is for .103 OS and the second is for separate Java and CDMA files. This is where the hybrid part comes in. Once you've installed .103 you extract the Java and CDMA files from the second link to replace the files already in the .103 version. I just did this not two hours ago and it's working great.

I work with these phones everyday and I'll back up what others have said about getting used to the phone. I see lots of people tearing their hair out after a couple days but two weeks later they're addicted. Best of luck.
    02-22-09 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD