Why doesn't someone who has a pre release device open it up and look at it. I know its pre release but we can at least what it has as of now.
    Kevin did take it apart and he assures us there a FOUR buttons. Looking at it, he probably can't determine exactly how it works.
    08-24-09 10:26 AM
    Well, if it is true that RIM is using piezo technology, then it is entirely possible that you can turn the clicking off and just use tapping. I'll bet this is the big secret of the Storm 2.
    08-24-09 10:27 AM
    Kevin did take it apart and he assures us there a FOUR buttons. Looking at it, he probably can't determine exactly how it works.
    no no.. photo was sent in to me by an anonymous source. i would never take apart a bb for fear of not being able to put humpty dumpty back together again. i'd cry! but looking at the photo, yeah.. je ne sais pas as to how exactly it's all working and what if any other technologies are being implemented. can definitely see how much better constructed it is over storm 1 though. some alien looking stuff! maybe storm 2 was built by martians instead of canadians
    08-24-09 10:29 AM
    Hey Cory... I did respond with a follow-up post (within the forums) to the questions further down that crazy Ask Kevin thread -- http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/as...ml#post3339856

Still a few things I'd like to be sure of before I'd do a follow-up post on the blogs.
    GREAT REviews!!
    08-24-09 10:30 AM
    Just updated the first post of this thread with some new photos/info. You saw it here first!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...62#post3413762
    Nice pics Kev
    08-24-09 10:31 AM
    I'm hoping that 1 year after I have my storm 2 I don't have to buy a storm 3 that has the tech that RIM should have developed in the first place.
    You will b/c LTE is coming....Not sure about O2, but I figure LTE Storm 3 in 2011 for VZW. Maybe sooner. Even if same device as S2 just with different radio for LTE.

08-24-09 10:35 AM
    there you have it. based on what we're seeing now, looks like my initial impression was right. i'm now 99% convinced that if piezo or some similar technology is being used at all it only exists in how the buttons are powered on and off.

there may be other refinements in the screen itself to better sense/respond to touch but i don't think that includes piezo.

hopefully we'll get as much insight into the os enhancements on s2 as we have on the new screen. i for one will NOT be upgrading to s2 for the screen alone! rim has to make os 5 on s2 more fluid, faster, and more stable for it to be a winner. those were the big knocks against s1.
    08-24-09 10:37 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to write the article.
    As for the buttons perhaps they need power to function. Maybe each has an small electromagnet which somehow contributes to its push features. When power is lost (turned off) electromagnets turn off as well, hence no more push.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 08-24-09 at 11:06 AM.
    08-24-09 10:45 AM
    Kevin I think those buttons are electrical buttons. It seems that there is technology chip installed near buttons to make it react.

Seeing that hardware in the back really clicks with a video I saw on youtube here

Are those electric field conductors???????
    Last edited by Card Storm; 08-24-09 at 12:06 PM.
    08-24-09 10:52 AM
    In all this screen tech mumbo jumbo there was some information, maybe about AMOLED Screens, or Piezo which says how the actual screen can be divided into numerous zones or buttons and that this can be done at the software level. If that is the case maybe RIM is using 4 physical buttons for clicking, but also the screen itself implements some piezo aspects to be divided into various zones dependent on what the . This way the actual material of the screen is interacting with the buttons to ensure accuracy of interaction and allow multi press capabilities.

Still doesn't explain the solid feel when powered down...
    08-24-09 11:17 AM
    Woah....Kevin I think those buttons are electrical buttons. It seems that there is technology chip installed near buttons to make it react.

Seeing that hardware in the back really clicks with a video I saw on youtube here

Are those electric field conductors???????
    Don't Quote a wall of Text...Come on man. You know Better!
    08-24-09 11:19 AM
    ...but looking at the photo, yeah.. je ne sais pas as to how exactly it's all working and what if any other technologies are being implemented. can definitely see how much better constructed it is over storm 1 though. some alien looking stuff! maybe storm 2 was built by martians instead of canadians
    I hope it is "better constructed"...one could also say, it is "more complicated," making it easier to have problems? I hope not, but hopefully RIM (or the Martians) are getting it right this time, because I am getting one, no matter what!
    08-24-09 11:25 AM
    Everyone here is so hyped outselling the new technology, that the Onyx, Driftwood and unreleased sections are drying like African rivers in the summer LOL

Surely this will be an awesome device but I am wondering if these generous leaks of information are nothing but signal that release is round the corner... September 15th anyone?
    08-24-09 11:27 AM
    Check out the bottom right object in this picture.

Siansonic Technology Ltd. is a leading manufacturer of ultrasonic atomizing transducers, integrating researching, developing, and manufacturing of piezoelectric ceramic elements and other ultrasonic transducers.

Does that not look like the "buttons".
    08-24-09 11:35 AM
    Those buttons look like plain strain gauge resistors. Similar to what you see in calculators and remote controls. Applying stress will warp the resistor causing a change in resistive value. Almost non mechanical other than the metal changing shape with force.

Looks like silicone on top of the resistors to transfer the force fromthe glass to the resistors.
    08-24-09 12:02 PM
    Thank you Kevin SO much for your in-depth review of the Storm2 and also to Salomondrin for the video - it's much appreciated by us CrackBerry addicts!

Just from seeing the video and by reading the various feedback I have a pretty good idea of how it will feel when I get to actually play with one. I have one question that I can't seen to figure out:

-does the multi-touch allow the user to press two buttons in the same relative area?

I LOVE my Storm1 but I can't type as fast as I could on my Pearl and Curve - having to wait for the screen to pop up every time has caused me to slow my typing speed I am HOPING that S2 will solve that problem...
    08-24-09 12:08 PM
    Those buttons look like plain strain gauge resistors. Similar to what you see in calculators and remote controls. Applying stress will warp the resistor causing a change in resistive value. Almost non mechanical other than the metal changing shape with force.

Looks like silicone on top of the resistors to transfer the force fromthe glass to the resistors.
    explain further please.................
    08-24-09 12:17 PM
    Everyone here is so hyped outselling the new technology, that the Onyx, Driftwood and unreleased sections are drying like African rivers in the summer LOL

Surely this will be an awesome device but I am wondering if these generous leaks of information are nothing but signal that release is round the corner... September 15th anyone?
    Everything Ive been told says the S2 is still in development and has not entered production yet. It would be VERY hard to launch a device for Sept 15th without the unit in production already. I could be wrong, but I think the October/November release is closer to the truth.
    08-24-09 12:35 PM
    If you ever opened up a calculator to see where the buttons contacts, you'll see a similar grid pattern. I remember using these things in my old electrical engineering lab days to measure torsion but the basic concept is that if you have a thin wire laid out similar to the picture, it'll have resistive value X. When stress is applied to it like pushing a calculator button or maybe the storm screen glass (could be completely wrong here folks!), the shape of the metal changes. Stretching it out or warping it which changes the shape. The shape has a new resistive value Y. By applying constant voltage or current, you can measure change and let the software do its magic.

Wiki might have a better explanation than this one and again I could be completely out in left field on this but that does kinda look like a strain gauge.
    08-24-09 12:37 PM
    Ok, i don't know if it has PIEZO but if it did, it would probably work something like this.

Choosing the right touch technology

Personally, i don't think it has it. I think the screen becoming unclickable when off is merely hardware related, meaning there's some switch or lever that blocks the screen from being pressed. But that's just my opinion.
    08-24-09 12:41 PM
    This was the first thing that came into my head when I saw the video. Why would they put so much money is Piezo or whatever technology when they can just put 4 buttons there.

I dont understand how you missed the simplest solution and replaced it with this piezo stuff. I dont have a storm and never have touched one, but let me just get this clear. The buttons under the screen are just for making that click sound?
    08-24-09 12:41 PM
    there is no piezo business involved... just 4 buttons for multi touch... I guess.................
    08-24-09 12:44 PM
    Looks like it's a regular remote control style button sensor. Piezoelectric speakers might make the snapping noise for the sound and feel of a real button. There's your piezo technology...
    08-24-09 12:47 PM
    Simply looking at the buttons under the display and actually using the device, the simplest answer is that there's no piezo stuff at all and it's just a better built storm 1 that allows for multi-press. there's probably multiple ways to achieve the display is fixed when off/moveable when on thing. plus, if there is piezo or something more high tech involved, none of the current software builds really take advantage of it to go above and beyond what you can do on storm 1. the big benefit of having four buttons vs. 1 is sort of a mechanical thing. so if there are more capabilities in the screen due to the tech implemented, they're not really reflected in the os firmware yet. so whether it's a high-tech solution or lower tech one... kinda doesn't matter as the end result is the same. whatever it is, this design at least makes for a much more usable device.

still..i'm curious as all heck to have an actual/official explanation
    08-24-09 12:49 PM
    I think those are resistive strain guages maybe
    08-24-09 12:49 PM
326 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD