05-23-10 02:23 AM
56 123
tools
    Nods JRS, once again I agree. They have taken something that was actually easy and clear cut to use and well...twitified it, meaning made it utterly useless. Also let me thank you for your post. It was thoughtful and well written. Was pondering posting the same myself. So just to show the RIM/VZW employee Finewolf that we are not all about negativity (j/k). I'll post a few things I really like about my phone.

1. It's the best PHONE I've ever owned in 25 years of having cell phones. First cell I've never had to use full volume on. Big buttons on the dial pad (thank you so much for this, coming from someone who has big fingers). Along with sound quality and volume being excellent, reception is as well. My BB never drops where other phones I've had always do.
    2. It feels solid, not cheap, small, light and plastic.
    3. Screen Screen and Screen! Has a LARGE brilliant screen that is easy to pull off the night stand with out putting your glasses on and read! PS, Hey RIM, screen's are like some other things in life, "can't get too big". Don't be afraid to be the biggest. Just can't have too much of it.
    4. Menu system and OS. Has a standard pattern and logical way of going about things (I know this point can be argued). It just doesnt feel like a hasty app/os thrown together with out some clear thinking threw such as android and webos. Both of which I have seen and frankly they seem cheap and cheesy to me. And yes I know there are a couple bugs, but folks, show me a OS out there that doesnt and a phone that never screws up and I'll show you the perfect wife. Neither exsist!

Lastly, RIM I'm 51, the bottom of the baby boomers. I'm not a twittertwerp, I don't need to hold hands while going to the bathroom. Be careful of codling too much to these kids of the "it's all about me and I'm entitled to everything I haven't earned". It was us ADULTS in the business world that made you what you are. We do not expect BOGO's and everything for free or less than it cost to make. We have MONEY and actually take pride in paying our own way. You don't have to discount your phones for us, just has to listen to us and continue to build quality products. We are not afraid to pay and we can. So again, we dont care about flicking, twitting, smiely faces, fakebook, itsallaboutmyspace and other so called social networking junk. Just give us a product that works as advertised, thats a clean and efficient business tool and we'll gladly give you are money. Bottom line is there are more of us, we have more money and don't think everything should be for free just because we were born on this planet.

Insert aol'ish smiley face here->
    Agreed and and big LOL at the bolded part. Took my thoughts exactly when I keep reading the small "defensive" remarks from people in Canada with small post counts. I can't help to think they're RIM people getting their feelings hurt.

Anyway, I agree with everything in this post except the part about wanting simplistic designs of the UI. I for one am greatful they changed the SMS to Threaded, but it could have been streamlined more to get rid of some of these issues. (Heck, for all we know, 5.0.0.450 is out and fixes it all, but VZW never tested it for release, making this whole debate useless.) But I'd like to reiterate to RIM that they need to continue to advance both the look and feel of both the hardware and software of the devices. Suit and tie guys can only envision so much in terms of a product (no disrespect, but it's always a black/white, cut/dry, left/right, works/doesn't work type deal with business people). In the real world, this isn't always the case and while they shouldn't drop their core fundamentals, it's important to also listen and hire new tallent to help the company develop into new directions. No one knows everything and not everyone can find everything, but it's always a good idea to listen to everyone regardless, because chances are good that everyone has good viewpoints in one way/shape/(or) form.

I know a lot of you think I nitpick at everything small or large, but look at it this way. There ARE people out there who would look at something as small as a messed up icon on the screen (scrunched primary icon on 2 row Zen display) and not buy the phone. That means one less phone sold, and one less recurring revenue stream for 2 years for both the carrier and RIM. Look at it that way and you'll understand why I'm so critical about the "small stuff".
    10-27-09 02:46 PM
    Sure JRS, things need to progress and I agree, threaded SMS is a great idea, it amazes me though how RIM could screw it up so bad. All the things you mentioned about it along with others are common logic sense, how could they miss it and mutter it up so bad. Getting back to progress, sure, of course, just don't lose sight of the market that made you, business. We don't use twitter, fakebook, mespace. We still know the value of privacy and enjoy it. One thing I did forget to mention about why I like BB's so much is security. Phones are becoming ones wallet. Your emails, personal and professional, banking, so much of ones life including where you are at all times are now part of your phone. Security is a huge concern and RIM does it well. So yes, progress must and should be made but don't take it down a social networking alley where profits are small and customers trendy. Focus on your core and build off of that.

And JRS, keep posting your thoughts, they make sense and you speak for many of us that barely have time to read posts much less write them.
    Last edited by netwerks1; 10-27-09 at 03:02 PM.
    10-27-09 03:00 PM
    Another thing that's kind of limited us in a way due to the new Threaded SMS views is the ability to go and delete a range of old SMSs from the past. In the past I'd always keep certain SMSs from certain people because they had info I need in them, so those SMSs would always be at the bottom of my list. I'd simply scroll to above them and delete from there up with multi-select. Now, because the SMSs are grouped "per user", I can't easily do that anymore. It's thrown off my basic/linear grouping of SMSs based on date alone. Again, just complicating the UI then anything else.
    Had to post this on my phone cause it might just be my ISP but this site it almost unusable. Slow.

Anyway. Haven't used this "feature" yet but I have been adding sms contacts to BBM and there is an option for grouping sequential messages in chat. Would this do what u want and separate the sms's?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 03:05 PM
    we lost the chronological based features (delete by date specifically), and they stripped the ability to be able to delete individual messages. they don't even highlight, they don't show date/time stamps unless you touch them, same issue in BBM, it bugs me...put a time stamp on the far right of the message, YIM has no problem with it. and RIM wrote that app...

it's just another example of how RIM takes two steps forward, three steps backwards. but to each their own i guess. just further reinforcing my decision to bail
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that is something else we lost from .323. If my memory serves me in the "SMS text" in options there used to be 3 options. Standard, stripes, bubble. I could swear that in standard it would show the time stamp to the right if the text. The other 2 choices u had to touch it and it would show at the top. Now we only have 2 options. Bubbles and stripes. Unless we can find someone still on .323 or who went back I cannot prove it and I lack the ambition to go back just to see.

BBM sms conversation options seem to be just for decoration cause nothing changes even though that shows all 3 options

Last edited by TheBr0ken; 10-27-09 at 03:23 PM.
    10-27-09 03:20 PM
    .. and they stripped the ability to be able to delete individual messages. they don't even highlight...
    While they don't highlight,, you can delete an individual message. place your cursor on the message and hit the BB key. But trust me, I'm on board with everything your saying.

10-27-09 03:20 PM
    both of you are correct...i was incomplete in my thought i was writing...i'm being distracted by the android website
    10-27-09 03:28 PM
    LOL the things that **** people off....
    10-27-09 03:30 PM
    Sorry Civic, but all your posts lately have been complaining. If you are not happy with your phone, trade it in for something else.
    Yea Civic. You should know you can't complain in the forums! What do you think they are here for!? Positive comments only please!
    10-27-09 03:38 PM
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that is something else we lost from .323. If my memory serves me in the "SMS text" in options there used to be 3 options. Standard, stripes, bubble. I could swear that in standard it would show the time stamp to the right if the text. The other 2 choices u had to touch it and it would show at the top. Now we only have 2 options. Bubbles and stripes. Unless we can find someone still on .323 or who went back I cannot prove it and I lack the ambition to go back just to see.

BBM sms conversation options seem to be just for decoration cause nothing changes even though that shows all 3 options

Stripes and Bubbles only.
    10-27-09 03:42 PM
    And yes, as soon as android is available I'm bailing as fast as humanly possible. I'm tired of these blatantly overlooked issues, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is. RIM won't get another dime from me after the ERIS is released. It'll take a brand new browser and a brand new OS to get be back.

.... with you on this one !
    10-27-09 03:50 PM
    LOL the things that **** people off....
    LOL the people that add nothing to a Forum...
    10-27-09 03:57 PM
    Ok, ok, ok.... before I downgrade to .167, is there a third-party SMS app that works with this OS that makes the phone functional again?
    10-27-09 04:01 PM
    Not to hi-jack the forum. But what Android phones should we be expecting to be relased on VZW soon?
    I've heard about the Motorola - but I'm not a fan of Motorola. Poor quality products in the past, including the Q (as well as their "dumb phones" like razor).
    Maybe the droid OS changed all that, I dunno.
    10-27-09 04:16 PM
    Crap pictures removed....

Back on topic. Enough with the pictures......
    10-27-09 04:48 PM
    If you are in a chat with a Verizon customer, you will get the phone number to show up in "Callback Number" window. If you highlight this number and the number is already linked to a contact in your address book and hit Send, you get a prompt of Call "Name of Contact". If you hit Call, you then get prompted which number (if the contact has more then one entry for numbers). Humm, that's weird, I could have sworn I wanted to just call the number in the callback field and not get asked what number for the contact I wanted to call. Regardless of this, if you hit ESC/Back on either the first Call "Name of Contact" screen or the subsequent Call (which number) screen, the phone still dials the contact on the number that showed up in the Callback Number field. Kinda stupid, don't you think?

Here's the issue, the callback number field is fracking useless because it causes these problems when you want to call it and then if even asks which number to call from the contact... wtf... isn't it clear that if I highlight the Callback Number field I'd want the phone to just blindly call that number, don't check my address book, just CALL IT!!! That's the point behind this field, is it not?

Also, this is a useless field because again, you can easily pick Menu/Call each number listed in the address book for the contact (if they are listed in your address book) without all the fuss of the BS listed above.

To add even more gas to this fire, if you're talking to someone on Verizon who's number in not in your address book and you highlight the Callback Number field and hit Send, you get a window that prompts Call "Callback Number" or Call "555-555-5555" Seriously? It's the same fracking thing!!! Why would you need to prompt for that? Callback number IS THE SAME as the number listed by itself on that prompt screen.

In closing, RIM's ******** and VZW flat out DOESN'T test their OSs properly before release.
    it's people like you that taint this phone further. yeah, it wasn't great or perfect, nor is it now. it never will be. but either will any other phone. you might as well become as bad as cpugeek.

here's my thoughts about your post:

If you hit Call, you then get prompted which number (if the contact has more then one entry for numbers). Humm, that's weird, I could have sworn I wanted to just call the number in the callback field and not get asked what number for the contact I wanted to call.
    sometimes you DON'T want to call the number they were texting you from. or THEY don't want you to. what if you're texting someone on prepaid and they ask you to call their phone? makes that easier, doesn't it? or what if you're texting someone and their phone is about to die, so they ask you to call their house or another phone number of theirs you have? lucky it gives me a choice huh?! i'm sure glad.
    as far as it being in the menu, maybe not everyone knew that option, so (VERIZON) thought they should put it there. maybe verizon thinks their users are *dum*

if you're talking to someone on Verizon who's number in not in your address book and you highlight the Callback Number field and hit Send, you get a window that prompts Call "Callback Number" or Call "555-555-5555" Seriously? It's the same fracking thing!!!
    as far as this, some people's callback numbers not NOT always the same thing. sometimes people have their callback number set to something totally different. just because the people you're talking to has the same thing doesn't mean everyone does. verizon, being the phone comany, knows that.

In closing, RIM's ******** and VZW flat out DOESN'T test their OSs properly before release.
    and as far as this, not all things added are RIM's idea, or even doing. correct me if i'm wrong but each release for different carriers has different things in them. verizon probably asked for that in there, so there's no error here on RIM or verizon's part exept for verizon sucking and putting stupid **** and crippling their phones constantly.
    10-28-09 08:14 AM

"lines" "stipes" and "none".
    10-28-09 08:17 AM
    it's people like you that taint this phone further. yeah, it wasn't great or perfect, nor is it now. it never will be. but either will any other phone. you might as well become as bad as cpugeek.

here's my thoughts about your post:

sometimes you DON'T want to call the number they were texting you from. or THEY don't want you to. what if you're texting someone on prepaid and they ask you to call their phone? makes that easier, doesn't it? or what if you're texting someone and their phone is about to die, so they ask you to call their house or another phone number of theirs you have? lucky it gives me a choice huh?! i'm sure glad.
    as far as it being in the menu, maybe not everyone knew that option, so (VERIZON) thought they should put it there. maybe verizon thinks their users are *dum*

as far as this, some people's callback numbers not NOT always the same thing. sometimes people have their callback number set to something totally different. just because the people you're talking to has the same thing doesn't mean everyone does. verizon, being the phone comany, knows that.

and as far as this, not all things added are RIM's idea, or even doing. correct me if i'm wrong but each release for different carriers has different things in them. verizon probably asked for that in there, so there's no error here on RIM or verizon's part exept for verizon sucking and putting stupid **** and crippling their phones constantly.
    You have no grasp of ANYTHING that was discussed in the OP. None whatsoever. You totally misunderstood each and every "bug" pointed out.

To give you a quick example, when calling from that screen and getting prompted by the multiple numbers (if you've got that person in your address book with multiple numbers), the bug is that if you hit ESC on the prompt screen, it still calls the CallBack Number. Also, highlighting the CallBack Number and hitting Send should just call that number, because that's the logical/expected behavior of this function. If you wanted to call the person you're chatting with at another number you have stored in the address book, a quick press of the Menu button while within the chat will bring up menu options to call each of their other numbers you have stored for them in the Address Book.

Please, be sure you understand the issues at hand before you try and discuss them.
    10-28-09 08:57 AM
    You have no grasp of ANYTHING that was discussed in the OP. None whatsoever. You totally misunderstood each and every "bug" pointed out.

To give you a quick example, when calling from that screen and getting prompted by the multiple numbers (if you've got that person in your address book with multiple numbers), the bug is that if you hit ESC on the prompt screen, it still calls the CallBack Number. Also, highlighting the CallBack Number and hitting Send should just call that number, because that's the logical/expected behavior of this function. If you wanted to call the person you're chatting with at another number you have stored in the address book, a quick press of the Menu button while within the chat will bring up menu options to call each of their other numbers you have stored for them in the Address Book.

Please, be sure you understand the issues at hand before you try and discuss them.
    apparently you didn't grasp what i was pointing out about the OP. i get the bugs you're talking about. i didn't say the bugs weren't there or that you were doing something wrong to get those problems happening.

what i WAS pointing out and calling out was your ******** about the things you did in the OP. IE: "Humm, that's weird, I could have sworn I wanted to just call the number in the callback field and not get asked what number for the contact I wanted to call."
    Humm, could of sworn i made my point pretty clear. guess not. get it?
    10-28-09 09:27 AM
    apparently you didn't grasp what i was pointing out about the OP. i get the bugs you're talking about. i didn't say the bugs weren't there or that you were doing something wrong to get those problems happening.

what i WAS pointing out and calling out was your ******** about the things you did in the OP. IE: "Humm, that's weird, I could have sworn I wanted to just call the number in the callback field and not get asked what number for the contact I wanted to call."
    Humm, could of sworn i made my point pretty clear. guess not. get it?
    No, you still don't get it. If I highlight that number and hit Send, I want it to call that number, I don't want it to suggest one of the other numbers in my address book for the person "per your, maybe their phone is about to die scenario". The phone isn't smart enough to know that, so when I tell it to call a specific number, I expect it to do so, not prompt for the other numbers. Your "possible" examples have no barring on this issue. If I wanted to call another number I (the user) would have to make that judgement call on which number to call based on my Menu choices for that perticular chat partner.

VZW/RIM doesn't think their users are dumb and wants to help them by suggesting other options, they just made a programming mistake. Simple as that. The only way your example would prove to be logically correct would be if intead of a number in the Callback field it had a Name. If the name of the person was listed, then YES, most definitely if I highlight the name and hit Send it should prompt me on which number to call, just like it does when you call from within the Address Book and the contact you're calling has more then one number associated with them, you get the prompt on which number to call.
    10-28-09 09:55 AM
    Did fine wolf get a new screen name?

10-28-09 10:23 AM
    Did fine wolf get a new screen name?

Ya, ye betcha, don'cha know?
    10-28-09 04:11 PM
    You can still multi select and delete based on date for SMS i believe. if you go into your SMS folder then hit the blackberry button and select "view folder" from the menu and go to SMS inbox, the messages are there individually. from there you can multi select and it is sorted based on date i believe.

A few more steps than the old non-threaded way, but it gets the job done.
    Last edited by SteveOStorm; 10-28-09 at 06:24 PM.
    10-28-09 06:21 PM
    You can still multi select and delete based on date for SMS i believe. if you go into your SMS folder then hit the blackberry button and select "view folder" from the menu and go to SMS inbox, the messages are there individually. from there you can multi select and it is sorted based on date i believe.

A few more steps than the old non-threaded way, but it gets the job done.
    Yep, but like you said... it's a few more steps. There really should be a View Option in SMS to display either Linear or Threaded SMS Screens. Either way, the OP has other bug info that needs to be resolved.
    10-28-09 06:46 PM
    You guys are depressing lol, I now miss .167 because of this thread. :'(

10-28-09 07:00 PM
    Definitely.....Anyone else annoyed that if you have contacts that have a pin in their contact information, when they text message you (not bbm) it goes to bbm also, and the notification (red star thing) is over the bbm instead of your SMS folder? I had to take the pin # out of all my contacts' information (on the phone contacts).

Yep, but like you said... it's a few more steps. There really should be a View Option in SMS to display either Linear or Threaded SMS Screens. Either way, the OP has other bug info that needs to be resolved.
    Definitely would like an option to choose. I text for texting and use BBM for bbm-ing.
    10-28-09 07:05 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD