Not much of a review, but he didn't like it a whole lot.

Screening the BlackBerry Storm - Communication Breakdown - David Meyer's Blog at ZDNet.co.uk Community

Edit: I must say that he's using the 9500 which has a earlier build on it than what was a the Dev Conf.
    11-06-08 07:02 PM
    What's worse, the up-down mechanics of the screen seem to have led RIM to not seal the screen's borders properly. You can see a very thin gap around the whole thing, offering a slight view right down to the circuitry. Dust? Water? Whoops. Maybe we didn't get shown the final product, but it just looked like an accident waiting to happen.
    Right from the review. lol!!!
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 11-06-08 at 07:09 PM.
    11-06-08 07:07 PM
    Sounds like he might have been reviewing a beta? The "unboxing" Vodaphone pics looked pretty tight around the dreaded gap. I don't know if Civic would agree

I'm actually kind of glad that I have never typed on a BB. My experience with full QWERTY phones has been my iPhone, my one kid has an enV and the other has a Dare. I'm unimpressed with typing on all three.

So I'll be learning to type on the Storm from the ground up.
    11-06-08 07:10 PM
    actually from that review i got that he did like it(the phone and features) he just wasn't a big fan of the typing. touch isn't for every one as we all know. But ooohhh is the phone so sexy!
    11-06-08 07:16 PM
    Right from the review. lol!!!
    Oh god....=/
    11-06-08 07:17 PM
    11-06-08 07:19 PM
    I mean seriously are you calling out CX? LOL!! If CX post something it is because he is trying to help us out so for you to really let him know it's already been posted is slightly an insult. try looking at the post numbers before you point the finger, ok?

have a good day!

11-06-08 07:25 PM
    I mean seriously are you calling out CX? LOL!! If CX post something it is because he is trying to help us out so for you to really let him know it's already been posted is slightly an insult. try looking at the post numbers before you point the finger, ok?

have a good day!
    I don't think CX feels insulted if someone points that it was posted already. I also think he is thick-skinned enough that any of us could hurt his feelings.

AND, I'm sure he can stick up for himself - and doesn't need my help
    11-06-08 07:30 PM
    I read the review and now I am ambivalent.... I am a long time VZW customer and really want the BB Storm to succeed... and if it doesn't, then I am in a quandary... I don't want to leave VZW so my only other option is the Curve as an upgrade to my 8703... but is it the latest Curve? The Bold is only available on ATT (Rats!)....

Again.. I sure hope the Storm lives up to what everyone wants it to
    11-06-08 07:31 PM
    For a "Review", that seemed a little lean on material. Earlier build aside, I'll sympathize that touchscreens are not for everyone- I'm HOPING the Storm will function spectacularly and just plain feel good using it in my hands - but I'll also admit if the thing is drudgery for me to type on, I won't be getting one.
    Thus, a little time with a working model in the Verizon store it is then.

****, I may even wait it out until Storm 2.0 comes along with a properly-sealed screen gap. Lol.
    11-06-08 07:43 PM

have a good day!
    In no way was I trying to insult CX. I am simply trying to consolidate threads -- just like CX or anyone else does when there is duplicative threads.

Also, I actually find your post offensive. Frankly, it doesn't make any sense. Your same reasoning could be applied to anyone who accidentally posts duplicative material: they are merely trying to help out the forum by posting material. Yet, it's ok to cut off the heads of newbs with low post counts, and give a bye to people with more post counts? Sounds pretty flawed.

And, for the record, CX absolutely tore my head off when I did the same thin on HOFO.
    11-06-08 07:52 PM
    I read the review and now I am ambivalent.... I am a long time VZW customer and really want the BB Storm to succeed... and if it doesn't, then I am in a quandary... I don't want to leave VZW so my only other option is the Curve as an upgrade to my 8703... but is it the latest Curve? The Bold is only available on ATT (Rats!)....

Again.. I sure hope the Storm lives up to what everyone wants it to
    Why are you worried? If it sucks, there's always the Niagra in May 09.
    11-06-08 11:42 PM
    Here's a pic of the screen gap on a Vodafone model shown to CNET:

Looks bigger at the bottom than the top, but that could be the angle of the phone or camera. I find that gap acceptable, although it would have been nice to have some kind of membrane or seal to stop things being able to fall through to the circuit board.

(From Photos: Hands-on with the BlackBerry Storm - Crave at CNET UK)

Regarding the typing speed thing... The info from ZDNet pretty much confirms what we already know: (a) it takes more than 5 minutes to get used to typing on the Storm and (b) a dedicated keyboard is always going to be faster than a screen, so if typing speed is your number one priority, you are better off with a Bold.
    11-07-08 03:51 AM
    What's worse, the up-down mechanics of the screen seem to have led RIM to not seal the screen's borders properly. You can see a very thin gap around the whole thing, offering a slight view right down to the circuitry. Dust? Water? Whoops. Maybe we didn't get shown the final product, but it just looked like an accident waiting to happen.
    CX, care to comment? I've had the same concerns for a long time. Here are a couple of questions:

(1) During your 2 months of testing the device, did you notice dirt/dust/lint/etc. accumulate in the gap around the screen?

(2) Even if it's not visibly noticeable (which I doubt), will the external elements take a toll on the screen's click mechanism or the semi-exposed circuitry underneath, over a span of say 1 year or longer?
    11-07-08 04:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD