"A RIM spokeswoman said the company doesn't comment on rumors and speculation. RIM executives have said they will ship a phone running a new operating system and a new Web browser in the quarter ending Sept. 30, but haven't provided details of the device."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories
    06-15-10 07:58 AM
    they're saying the quarter ends Sept 30. So its any time in that quarter. And thats exactly what Mike L said already. This is nothing new
    06-15-10 07:59 AM
    I am not going to get to excited for OS 6, not for a while. It will take 6 months AFTER OS 6 releases for developers to update their apps to work right with it. Remember when OS 5 came out, most apps and themes would not work right.

I will sit back and watch all the posts pop up how themes and apps dont work right on my os 6, while I am enjoying my OS 5 with everything working.
    06-15-10 08:03 AM
    Still could mean that OS6 is released before said phone is shipped.
    06-15-10 08:05 AM
    It'l likely leak - but not for S2. Maybe the Tour/Bold. And I sort of have to agree. If you want OS6 I would just get a well coded theme. Virtually all of what ails the BB platform is not addressed in 6. It will not give you more application memory - likely less. It will not have flash in the browser. E-mails will still be truncated and not be full HTML. Ring tones and alerts will not play through headsets. No full screen caller ID. No fully integrated voice commands (IE. "search____" to use the search command; "find___" to use map program; "e-mail____"; "post to ____" etc...); BB maps will not have turn by turn voice directions; etc...

OS6 will have multiple screens, a better menu system, inertial scrolling, and an updated look to the media player. Definitely needed, definitely appreciated, but in my most humble opinion far short of what hardcore berry users were calling for.
    06-15-10 09:43 AM
    It'l likely leak - but not for S2. Maybe the Tour/Bold. And I sort of have to agree. If you want OS6 I would just get a well coded theme. Virtually all of what ails the BB platform is not addressed in 6. It will not give you more application memory - likely less. It will not have flash in the browser. E-mails will still be truncated and not be full HTML. Ring tones and alerts will not play through headsets. No full screen caller ID. No fully integrated voice commands (IE. "search____" to use the search command; "find___" to use map program; "e-mail____"; "post to ____" etc...); BB maps will not have turn by turn voice directions; etc...

OS6 will have multiple screens, a better menu system, inertial scrolling, and an updated look to the media player. Definitely needed, definitely appreciated, but in my most humble opinion far short of what hardcore berry users were calling for.
    1. Application memory - I don't have any issue.
    2. Truncated issues/html - I don't have any issue.
    3. Flash - if iphone doesn't have it, BB doesn't need it.
    4. Ring tones/alerts - I don't have any issue.
    5. No fully integrated voice commands - Not an issue for me.
    6. BBMAPs turn by turn - when hello freezes over as VZNAV is the competitor on Verizon. However it's not an issue for me.

I do not have your issues, that doesn't mean there aren't any issues as every platform has their own set of issues. Is there an iphone 4 in your future?
    06-15-10 09:59 AM
    1. Application memory - I don't have any issue.
    2. Truncated issues/html - I don't have any issue.
    3. Flash - if iphone doesn't have it, BB doesn't need it.
    4. Ring tones/alerts - I don't have any issue.
    5. No fully integrated voice commands - Not an issue for me.
    6. BBMAPs turn by turn - when hello freezes over as VZNAV is the competitor on Verizon. However it's not an issue for me.

I do not have your issues, that doesn't mean there aren't any issues as every platform has their own set of issues. Is there an iphone 4 in your future?
    Ok - Let me address your response working backwards.

Definately not an I-phone. Not a fan of SJ. Though I understand his desire for a closed approach and it clearly works for millions. Not to mention the I4 is a sexy piece of hardware. But most importantly I work for a large international law firm, they require I carry a BB and carrying multiple devices is a no go for me. I see thousands commuting and walking around Manhattan with their I-devices and a BB; I'm so tired some days I can barely remember my pants, so trying to keep track of two devices is not going to happen.

Next - My points were prefaced; though by a spell of poor construction listed after the issues; that they were items that hard core berry userrs were calling to be addressed. People who wake at 5:00 am to a long chain of e-mails between an overseas client and a lender that by the 3rd e-mail is cut off - press, more, press more, press more all - truncated. And now is required to log in remotely to understand the thread and respond to the partner or client. You see most professional e-mails have all sorts of tags on them now (IRS disclosures; Stock trading warnings; etc) and these lengthen even the smallest email, making long threads impossible to display on a BB. Leave the house at 5:00 AM and partner has responded with an e-mail and attached a spreadsheet, that needs to go to all parties, BUT without the underlying e-mail. Again one must use a work around to get this to happen. So - download the e-mail. NO you can't. This is a big spreadsheet and exceeds the size for doewnload (may not effect you BIS users of all things backwards). Ok let's take a listen to today's news. Want to listen to NPR streaming or stock qoutes,on the long commute in, and now have to go through a series of poor work arounds. Listening to music while preparing the day and checking some tech news on-line while e-mails 20+ an hour come pouring in. The current choice is leave ringer on and annoy everyone on train, leave vibrate on and then check each e-mail, or message or FB post - b/c vibrate is real hard to distinguish becuase the ring tones that tell you if it's junk, a FB post or a partner or client won't play through headphones. (Again not a problem if you're rude, or if you don't get a high voume of never ending pushed correspondence.)

Full turn by turn voice directions are invaluable if you do any professional traveling. A problem? Not if you want to pay $5 a month for VZNAV; or $70 Garmin. But its a BB - made for corporate professionals. It's freakin clock updates based on your GPS location. BB Maps has not been updated in more than 5 years. The fact that Google Maps for BB is one of the most downloaded applications says that a high end map application is needed. Problem - didn't say it was - I said hardcore users are calling for it. I think the numbers here speak far cleare and more concise than I.
    Fully integrated voice - that may be pushing the envelope here. But given Vlingo's success and ability to work with the limited API's Rim has opened up, it is well within RIM's capability to do this and would be widely welcomed.

Yeah on second thought, definitely pushing it with that voice command, but wouldn't it be great if RIM not only caught up, but just went a little bit further?
    06-15-10 10:38 AM
    And full caller picture id - with all this real estate why not? Picture ID does it; why can't RIM???!?!?! Need it, no. But why shouldn't I have the option... Just say'n.
    06-15-10 12:15 PM
    I thought this was was coming out sometime in July. Anyone know if Storm 2 will be able to handle it?
    06-15-10 02:24 PM
    gotta agree with 1magine on the comment "I4 is sexy"
    im not a fan of the "closed" system.. but damn he is right. VERY sexy
    a I4 looking phone with Android apps and BB email/bbm & security... sigh.. wouldnt that be nice?
    06-15-10 02:26 PM
    gotta agree with 1magine on the comment "I4 is sexy"
    im not a fan of the "closed" system.. but damn he is right. VERY sexy
    a I4 looking phone with Android apps and BB email/bbm & security... sigh.. wouldnt that be nice?
    the new blackberry slider is pretty sexy.
    06-15-10 03:27 PM
    I'm having a hard time remembering it clearly although it was less than a year ago, but weren't there numerous leaks of OS5 before the first device that had it out of the box was released? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember my friend on the Bold 9000 showing me a leak of 5.0 well before the Storm 2, 9700, etc. released.

I don't see why we wouldn't see some of the same thing with OS6, other than RIM supposedly stepping up their NDA policies lately. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
    06-15-10 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD