When I try to download the new OS it gets halfway thru then says not enough space...how do I get it to go to the card instead of device?
    Last edited by dfl138; 06-03-09 at 06:15 PM.
    06-03-09 06:11 PM
    I would suggest downloading and installing the OS to your PC and then running the Desktop Manager to upgrade your device. This guide will walk you through the process: BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com
    06-03-09 06:15 PM
    I may not know much but I don't think it's possible to save or have a OS run off your memory card.
    06-03-09 06:15 PM
    When I try to download the new OS it gets halfway thru then says not enough space...how do I get it to go to the card instead of device?
    Some people were able to get around this by rebooting their phones, while for some others that did not work.

I agree with the other post, download the OS to your PC, assuming you have a PC and not a Mac, install it and use DM to load.

Be sure to do a backup of your data and third party apps before trying either method.
    06-03-09 06:17 PM
    OK so now I show how dumb I am ..what is DM?
    06-03-09 06:21 PM
    OK so now I show how dumb I am ..what is DM?
    Desktop Manager (DM) https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...MqenSVwlXRyA** is the application that allows your device to communicate with your PC via USB connection.
    06-03-09 06:31 PM
    You will need it to do the backup's
    06-03-09 06:39 PM
    NO, NO, NO. Do it OTA. If you get the message about not enough space, either back out or honor the pause and then just go to your PC and use your PC'S OS directly to remove, say videos and/or pictures and/ music onto your desktop temporarily and go back to the phone OS changeover. No need to involve the DM at that point. Of course, you have already used the DM to backup one more time and you have faithfully read the forums on how to back up third party apps with your DM, right ? DO NOT try this on a low battery. DO NOT try this away from your fortress of solitude. Allow 2 hours of your time to do it right.

Doctor Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 06-03-09 at 07:24 PM. Reason: TYPOS
    06-03-09 07:17 PM
    Yes, Yes, Yes, use DM or AppLoader. You should learn to use the tools provided by RIM. I do agree with the rest of the post, Do, Do, Do backup's before attempting, regardless of which method.
    06-03-09 09:14 PM
    NO, NO, NO. Do it OTA. If you get the message about not enough space, either back out or honor the pause and then just go to your PC and use your PC'S OS directly to remove, say videos and/or pictures and/ music onto your desktop temporarily and go back to the phone OS changeover. No need to involve the DM at that point. Of course, you have already used the DM to backup one more time and you have faithfully read the forums on how to back up third party apps with your DM, right ? DO NOT try this on a low battery. DO NOT try this away from your fortress of solitude. Allow 2 hours of your time to do it right.

Doctor Neutron
    2 hours. I can do the load with the DM in 30 mins.
    06-03-09 09:17 PM
    I feel intuitively that OTA has fewer moving parts and is therefore less subject to errors. Maybe VZN or RIM will comment.with their actual results.

Doctor Neutron
    06-03-09 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD