I have a new handheld coming tomorrow as a replacement for my broken one. I need to transfer all of my data over to the new phone, but I have an issue. When I tried to use Verizon Backup Assistant today, it doubled all of my contacts (from about 350 to about 700). How can I get all of my contacts to my new phone, along with the rest of my data, without all of the doubles?
    I was thinking I would download Backup assistant first, then try the rest of the transfer after?
    What are some suggestions?
    Thanks!
    07-20-10 04:23 PM
    Do you have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed on your computer?

If so, use Device Switch Wizard. It will put everything that's on your current phone onto your new one. Apps and everything...
    07-20-10 04:26 PM
    I will do that, but that will also put double the contacts back on the new phone. Is there any way around that?
    07-20-10 04:30 PM
    Do you have a current backup of your phone on the Desktop Manager? If so, just restore the backup to your phone.

Other than that, I don't know, the backup assistant gave me issues years ago and haven't used it since. I hate it because it doesn't do a very good job of backing up anything but contacts.
    07-20-10 04:35 PM
    I actually just realized I have most of my contacts in Gmail backup. What can I do with that?
    07-20-10 04:43 PM
    Open Desktop Manager> Back up and Restore> Advanced, Highlight the "address book" entry on the left and choose "clear"

Once it does it's thing, disconnect the phone. You now won't have any contacts at all. Then restore your gmail backup with GoogleSync on your phone.

That is what you meant right? That you use GoogleSync? If so, make sure you turn syncing off for the time being, if you have it on automatic. You don't want all those duplicates in your gmail account.
    07-20-10 04:53 PM
    No, I just have the contacts listed in my Gmail account. I saved them there at some point. How do I use GoogleSync?
    07-20-10 06:35 PM
    Also, would I lose all of my contacts? Like when I look at my SMS messages, will the names be the same? They should be, correct?

And when I get the new phone, how do I make sure that the contacts come from GMail and not the old doubled contacts?
    Last edited by slafa23; 07-20-10 at 09:21 PM.
    07-20-10 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD