Is there an app you can get to back up your phone book online? i searched the threads to see if anyone else had asked, but no luck. With my old verizon phone i could use the backup assistant and it stored all my numbers online. How can i backup my numbers on the storm in case i break or lose my phone?

Thanks!!
    08-26-09 03:11 PM
    Make sure you've loaded the software that came with the phone. Plug you phone into your computer and backup. That would be the easiest way. I'm sure that there is an app somewhere out there, just haven't checked.
    08-26-09 03:14 PM
    Yes, as jharo said, install desktop manager and when you plug in your phone, you can go to backup/restore and do a backup which will backup your contacts, messages, settings, etc. It won't be online, but you will have access to it from your computer and such. Some people will suggest google sync. I'm not too experienced in that field though.
    08-26-09 03:18 PM
    Sign up for a gmail account on Google, and then use Google Sync. I believe that allows you to do a bidirectional address book sync.

Otherwise, if you have Microsoft Outlook (NOT Outlook Express) you can also sync via Desktop manager right into your Outlook Address book
    08-26-09 03:18 PM
    Some people will suggest google sync. I'm not too experienced in that field though.

Funny you wrote that right as I was suggesting Google Sync *LOL*
    08-26-09 03:19 PM
    thanks! i guess desktop manager is what everyone means by DM? lol it makes sense now
    08-26-09 03:32 PM
    The backup feature using the desktop manager works well, but many people (including me) only do full backups every once in a while, and if you ever really *need* it, chances are good the backup won't be fully up-to-date.

I use the google sync app as well and it works great. I believe You can use it even if you don't have a gmail account setup on your blackberry, but you will have to have a gmail account. (I do use a gmail account as my primary email).

It's great because it's a real time sync, so any change I make on my phone or to my contacts on my gmail account sync up regularly. If you get another blackberry, you can just install google sync and it will just pull all the info back down.

FYI--the verizon backup assistant does NOT work with blackberries (wish I would have known that when I got mine, CS actually *assured* me that it would!)
    08-26-09 03:35 PM
    Like some previous people said...Desktop Manager backs up your phone. You can have it do a backup and you can also have it sync with outlook. Thiese are 2 seperate functions. I sync with outlook almost everyday while I am at work since I want to make sure my calendar and such is synced on both phone and computer. (I am not on a bes). And I do a backup always before a new OS install and maybe once a month or so in between.
    08-26-09 03:41 PM
    I'd suggest Google Sync, because it backs everything up online (so if something happens to your backup file, you'll still have your contacts). Also, you can change information on your phone Or online and just sync.
    08-26-09 03:52 PM
    google sync, but you need a google email account...

also, if you have a yahoo email, you can sync your phone info into your yahoo email account, so that when you go online it's all there under contacts, same with calendar, etc...
    08-26-09 04:17 PM
    opened in a tab and walked away to make a sandwich, and you all beat me to it!!!

BLAST!!!
    08-26-09 04:17 PM
    Just use blackberry desktop manager to backup your contacts that's the Easiest way to do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 04:30 PM
    Google sync is awesome.

Nice if you feel like doing a fresh install and your worried about some setting in your backup file messing something up....

Even if you feel like something is slowing your phone down...due a full security wipe and then you can restore your calendar and contacts with out the need for a PC.

It's also great for sharing calendars...me and my wife share our calendars this way.....It's also nice to be able to see the calendar in the web browser as it's easier to navigate...and it even syncs to the native calendar application on my mac at home.

Quick tip, if it some how ends up duplicating calendar items....simply log out from google sync allowing it to remove all the items from your device...then in you calendar go to options, show keyboard, type "wipe" and then you can completely erase any left over entries. Log back in to google sync and your calendar is back with out the duplicates. The duplicates happen when the default services calendar is change by something..just set it to your gmail and your golden.
    08-26-09 04:39 PM
    those are all good benefits of google sync...however, it felt like my phone was slower from having it running in the background...any insight into performance with the app?
    08-26-09 04:57 PM
    S4BB Limited had a great little app that back-up your contacts to your sim card. The best part is that it is free. Although it is very basic, it works well. the link is:

S4BB Limited � The Beta Program
    08-26-09 06:14 PM
    awesome.. thats what i was looking for =)
    08-27-09 09:58 AM
    An easier app that syncs w/ the internet is SkyDeck. I've been using it for a few months. It auto starts, runs in background, & no memory leakage.

It backs up your call, texts, & contacts to the web. It updates your phonebook online when you change anything on bb. If your friends are members, when they edit their info it updates your phonebook. reply to texts on web, manage calls like emails, new #s turn to names then auto added.

Great app, pass the word.

have fun crackalacking
    08-27-09 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD