Eh, I think Google Maps is useless without GPS. The whole radius they give as to your "approximate" location is kinda lame. GPS with BBMaps works beautifully! I'll stick with my BBMaps
    02-04-09 10:41 AM
    I noticed the following quote on the Google Latitude page:

"Note: Google Maps doesn't work with BREW-enabled devices, including certain Verizon phones."

I am assuming they have determined the cause of our Storm GPS heartache is something to do with BREW. I don't know enough about it to confirm that the problem is Google's software or Verizon not playing nice.

More info:

wikipedia.org/wiki/BREW
    02-04-09 11:04 AM
    I noticed the following quote on the Google Latitude page:

"Note: Google Maps doesn't work with BREW-enabled devices, including certain Verizon phones."

I am assuming they have determined the cause of our Storm GPS heartache is something to do with BREW. I don't know enough about it to confirm that the problem is Google's software or Verizon not playing nice.

More info:

wikipedia.org/wiki/BREW
    It has nothing to do with BREW since the Storm doesn't use BREW.
    02-04-09 11:08 AM
    just got it, thanks for the post
    02-04-09 11:24 AM
    hmm i always thought the GPS was unlocked for the storm.. hence why garmin mobile is able to work so well.. From what i understood it was the aGPS that was locked.

So as it stands, will google maps ever be able to use the gps on the 9530?
    02-04-09 11:32 AM
    A 9530 Storm's GPS WORKS ON A NON VERIZON network! I was on digicel using the sim card while on vacation and the gps worked just fine it located me withing 5 meters of my location.
    02-04-09 11:34 AM
    it's not a VERIZON network problem, it's a blackberry CDMA problem.
    02-04-09 11:44 AM
    Eh, I think Google Maps is useless without GPS. The whole radius they give as to your "approximate" location is kinda lame. GPS with BBMaps works beautifully! I'll stick with my BBMaps

GMaps is MILES better than BBMaps in terms of speed of searching for POIs, routing, loading maps, traffic etc.. I use it every day. The cell triangulation sucks though.
    02-04-09 11:53 AM
    I love gmaps, especially the traffic feature, and I can't wait until they access the gps. 1300 meters offset is unusable.

Hurry up Google!!!
    02-04-09 11:57 AM
    GMaps is MILES better than BBMaps in terms of speed of searching for POIs, routing, loading maps, traffic etc.. I use it every day. The cell triangulation sucks though.
    Yeah that cell tower stuff sucks. Which is why I don't use it. When GMaps gets that GPS working on my Storm I'll be on board!
    02-04-09 11:59 AM
    it's not a VERIZON network problem, it's a blackberry CDMA problem.
    Not true... because aGPS works fine on non-verizon Blackberry CDMA devices. (Pearl, Curve, 8800, etc.)

It is Verizon choosing to STILL lock down features... even though they opened it up slightly, they are still choosing to lock down the faster and more accurate aGPS. gMaps is attempting to use that because that is the way you are SUPPOSED to program for Qualcomm chipsets, but haven't taken the time to specialize the application for ONE device on ONE network, who chooses to block them out... can you blame them?
    02-04-09 12:08 PM
    I love gmaps, especially the traffic feature, and I can't wait until they access the gps. 1300 meters offset is unusable.

Hurry up Google!!!
    I hear that all the time, but do all of you really wander around in the world blind completely oblivious to where you are at all times, and not being able to find your way to a major thoroughfare?

Google maps wasn't made to be a GPS navigation system, its most useful function is for finding businesses in the area... and the cell-tower location system works just fine for me for that. True, it would be nicer with true GPS, but UNUSABLE?? I don't think so... I use it exclusively over BB Maps, despite the fact I could get GPS with BB Maps. So, it must not be THAT unusable because of one little feature.
    02-04-09 12:11 PM
    is it me or is street view gone for everybody else?
    02-04-09 12:22 PM
    I hear that all the time, but do all of you really wander around in the world blind completely oblivious to where you are at all times, and not being able to find your way to a major thoroughfare?

Google maps wasn't made to be a GPS navigation system, its most useful function is for finding businesses in the area... and the cell-tower location system works just fine for me for that. True, it would be nicer with true GPS, but UNUSABLE?? I don't think so... I use it exclusively over BB Maps, despite the fact I could get GPS with BB Maps. So, it must not be THAT unusable because of one little feature.
    You can search for businesses on BBMaps too. GPS is just nice to use. It's there, might as well utilize it. I agree "unusable" may be a little much. They're both usable! Be nice kids.
    02-04-09 12:46 PM
    Posted on the Google Maps Forum... Google Map Support Forum

I have never heard so much S&%T in my life... we keep getting told that VZW do not allow Google Maps access to the GPS on the storm and I am using 6 apps that do so on get with the program Google

Thom
    Google Employee
    4:53 PM
    Hi all,

I understand your frustrations, and I apologize for not being as forthcoming with information as you all would like. As I've said in this thread (and elsewhere), access to GPS data on Verizon devices is restricted to certain applications. At this time, Google Maps for mobile isn't included in the list of apps that allow use of the Storm GPS. Therefore, Google Maps for mobile is unable to use the Storm's GPS for My Location. As the Storm doesn't have WiFi, the only option left for location finding is through Cell ID.

Please know that the team is very aware of this issue. If there was a way we could give you GPS integration, we absolutely would without hesitation. Also, I wanted to thank the posters about who provided technical guidance above - it's been of help

Again, I'm sorry I can't provide any better news for you all, other than to say that the team and I absolutely still hear you loud and clear - and, personally, as a Storm user, I'd love to get GPS integration with Google Maps for mobile working as well.

Best,
    Tom
    02-04-09 05:16 PM
    is it me or is street view gone for everybody else?
    I see it when I search for an address of business.
    02-04-09 06:38 PM
    Downloaded for me first try and no issues.
    Just point your browser to m.google.com and it has all there list of applications and just select the one that has MAPS and it will take you to the download page for googlemaps.
    02-04-09 07:10 PM
    Downloaded for me first try and no issues.
    Just point your browser to m.google.com and it has all there list of applications and just select the one that has MAPS and it will take you to the download page for googlemaps.
    I think we all have it already
    02-04-09 07:15 PM
    I see it when I search for an address of business.
    Agree....I just did a search for Chicago, IL and clicked on the map and it gave me the option for street view.

Not sure if you can do it just by clicking on your current location on the map.
    02-04-09 07:51 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD