I just created an account, but I have been reading these forums since the rumors started flying about the Blackberry Storm. I got the BB Storm 9530 the day it came out for VZW. I have 4.7.75 and it was working pretty well until about a week ago and it started to freeze when someone was calling, or when I used the camera. I tried the battery pull option and it worked for maybe a day, but the problems continued. It gave me the popup that said something about the program was terminated or canceled. So I took it into Verizon yesterday and they retored it back to the factory settings. It is working fine now but it was kind of annoying having to go back and set everything up again since I had not backed everything up in a while besides my contacts. I have Viigo and that is the only application I have downloaded on my phone. Would this cause my phone to be slow? Also, I have read about the new beta software that everyone is talking about (i.e. 4.7.103, 106). Are these reliable, and if so how do I put them on my phone? If it does not work, how can I put .75 back on my phone so it is normal? Can using the beta software be harmful to my phone? I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks
    02-21-09 12:28 PM
    First of all clayber welcome! I will say this about the beta OS, beware as these are just that...betas. If your not savvy enough on your phone yet you probably don't wanna attempt that. But, if you do put a beta OS on your phone it will void warranty, as it is not from your carrier. But to answer your question yes you can go back to factory OS. Search the forums about some of the Storm's beta os...lots of heartache, or maybe I should say heartburn. Good Luck!
    02-21-09 12:34 PM
    I just created an account, but I have been reading these forums since the rumors started flying about the Blackberry Storm. I got the BB Storm 9530 the day it came out for VZW. I have 4.7.75 and it was working pretty well until about a week ago and it started to freeze when someone was calling, or when I used the camera. I tried the battery pull option and it worked for maybe a day, but the problems continued. It gave me the popup that said something about the program was terminated or canceled. So I took it into Verizon yesterday and they retored it back to the factory settings. It is working fine now but it was kind of annoying having to go back and set everything up again since I had not backed everything up in a while besides my contacts. I have Viigo and that is the only application I have downloaded on my phone. Would this cause my phone to be slow? Also, I have read about the new beta software that everyone is talking about (i.e. 4.7.103, 106). Are these reliable, and if so how do I put them on my phone? If it does not work, how can I put .75 back on my phone so it is normal? Can using the beta software be harmful to my phone? I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Welcome to CB....
    There are plenty of threads to read before installing an os. I have put one here. Start there

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    02-21-09 12:34 PM
    Welcome. The newest "betas" are so far superior to .75 you will think you have a new phone altogether. Don't be worried about messing your phone up, someone on here will be able to help if you do. Just follow the instructions on the thread crackman posted and you will be just fine.
    02-21-09 12:45 PM
    Where do you find this upgrade
    02-21-09 12:48 PM
    Where do you find this upgrade
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/95...-103-a-157250/
    02-21-09 12:49 PM
    When people ask this question, the very first thing this tells us is that you're not familiar enough with your BB to even begin the step of installing a new OS. For your sake, get to know as much about the phone as possible and do a lot of reading about OS upgrades- then when you feel comfortable, do it.

As far as Viigo- I took it off my Curve because it caused it to run sluggish all the time. I dont think the performance of that app is specific to the BlackBerry its on.

And lastly; yes- a beta can be harmful to your phone- just as well as it can be helpful. Most of the time, no one is going to know if they had a bad beta until they actually ugrade & post their results.
    02-21-09 01:38 PM
    They will only make something good official. They still have glitches.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 02:00 PM

When people ask this question, the very first thing this tells us is that you're not familiar enough with your BB to even begin the step of installing a new OS. For your sake, get to know as much about the phone as possible and do a lot of reading about OS upgrades- then when you feel comfortable, do it.

As far as Viigo- I took it off my Curve because it caused it to run sluggish all the time. I dont think the performance of that app is specific to the BlackBerry its on.

And lastly; yes- a beta can be harmful to your phone- just as well as it can be helpful. Most of the time, no one is going to know if they had a bad beta until they actually ugrade & post their results.
    Everybody has to start somewhere though. I remember messing with the registry on my first wm phone until I completely fragged it so much I had to wipe and lose everything. That being said you make a very good point about the question itself.
    02-21-09 02:03 PM
    First of all clayber welcome! I will say this about the beta OS, beware as these are just that...betas. If your not savvy enough on your phone yet you probably don't wanna attempt that. But, if you do put a beta OS on your phone it will void warranty, as it is not from your carrier. But to answer your question yes you can go back to factory OS. Search the forums about some of the Storm's beta os...lots of heartache, or maybe I should say heartburn. Good Luck!
    You installing a leaked OS will void your warranty? I would think not if you re installed the last official release before retuning it or getting support. Its just software so you can always go back to the "sanctioned" release.
    02-21-09 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD